The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL AQA Eng Lang Coursework ideas???

hellooo, So i have to work on my NEA coursework for english lang but I want y'alls opinions on whether my idea is ok. (im a private student btw)

i want to compare the language between a neurotypical and a neurodivergent person (my brother) and investigate the differences between the way we communicate with each other.

Do you think this is a good idea?? if not then lemme know what else you could suggest
(edited 2 months ago)
hi ! this sounds like a great idea ! there's good scope for spoken language acquisition theories and different child language ILS u can use. id say that you should be careful with your analysis though to make sure it stays purely linguistic, because a lot of the time analysis can sound more like it's for psychology/sociology than english language
Reply 2
hii!! tysm for this advice, i'll keep in mind when planning :smile:
It sounds like a decent idea, but be careful about how you consider other differences (gender, age, etc), as these can equally impact language
Reply 4
Original post by Unoriginality
It sounds like a decent idea, but be careful about how you consider other differences (gender, age, etc), as these can equally impact language
Thank you so much!! i've written this down :smile:
Original post by 1ithium
Thank you so much!! i've written this down :smile:

No problem!
One thing to keep in mind is that you’ll need to find evidence to actually analyse. I’d recommend going on like youtube to find conversations and transcribe them, then analyse the patterns which you can see. Also, as other people have said, make sure to focus on the language they use specifically, as I think you could accidentally fall into more of a sociological focus
Reply 7
Original post by charves14
One thing to keep in mind is that you’ll need to find evidence to actually analyse. I’d recommend going on like youtube to find conversations and transcribe them, then analyse the patterns which you can see. Also, as other people have said, make sure to focus on the language they use specifically, as I think you could accidentally fall into more of a sociological focus
Hello!! I was going to record a conversation between my brother and mother because hes got autism. do you still think i should go online for this?? I feel as if that wouldn't be as raw
id say go for it but remember that you’ll need to transcribe the whole thing to analyse it. also, I’m not sure if it’s essential but I’d check with your teacher in case you need to do an ethics statement since it’s primary research.
Reply 9
id say go for it but remember that you’ll need to transcribe the whole thing to analyse it. also, I’m not sure if it’s essential but I’d check with your teacher in case you need to do an ethics statement since it’s primary research.

thing is i don't have a teacher :') cuz im a private candidate. transcribing it wouldn't be an issue if i'm honest since i saw somewhere i should keep it under 10 mins
ohhh
i would say that if you’re going to transcribe then that will add to your workload, but if you’re passionate about the topic then go for it
Reply 11
ohhh
i would say that if you’re going to transcribe then that will add to your workload, but if you’re passionate about the topic then go for it

i thought you're meant to transcribe it yourself...?
Original post by 1ithium
hellooo, So i have to work on my NEA coursework for english lang but I want y'alls opinions on whether my idea is ok. (im a private student btw)
i want to compare the language between a neurotypical and a neurodivergent person (my brother) and investigate the differences between the way we communicate with each other.
Do you think this is a good idea?? if not then lemme know what else you could suggest

hi, i'm a priv student who did Eng lang too, if you have any questions abt the NEA i'd be happy to help! i am confused tho bc if you don't have a teacher, how is it getting marked? i used a distance learning provider who helped me w mine and she marked it for me.
Original post by 1ithium
i thought you're meant to transcribe it yourself...?

yes you are, i transcribed two 4-5 min interviews (found them online tho) and it took me a long time. you do have to be more careful with transcribing conversations irl, however, bc of consent and ethics, etc; they expect you to be aware of that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending