The Student Room Group

Why do I feel I made a mistake- uni choices?

Okay so last week I firmed Cardiff and insured Plymouth for medicine, but I can't seem to shift this feeling of regret, it's almost a physical pain when I think of Plymouth medical school (I know it sounds stupid). I know Cardiff was the better choice theoretically; it has a course better suited to me, more opportunities and is closer to home so my parents are happy.... has anyone had this feeling/ is having this feeling, I really don't know what to do!
I changed my insurance when I applied for uni last year. Phone them! Hopefully should be fine if you only made your choices last week.
Reply 2
Original post by jamboogy
I changed my insurance when I applied for uni last year. Phone them! Hopefully should be fine if you only made your choices last week.

yeah but i don't know what I want, I am not sure that switching choices would make me feel any better, I am scared that I just fancy the change of choice and not because it's what I really want... any ideas how to make the right decision and not regret anything? :smile:
Original post by cloud9medic
yeah but i don't know what I want, I am not sure that switching choices would make me feel any better, I am scared that I just fancy the change of choice and not because it's what I really want... any ideas how to make the right decision and not regret anything? :smile:

I think when you have a gut feeling as bad as you do (regarding the Plymouth medical school), then you should definitely make a change, otherwise you will clearly regret it if you end up going to Plymouth.

Are you not willing to put any of your other offers as your insurance?
Reply 4
Original post by jamboogy
I think when you have a gut feeling as bad as you do (regarding the Plymouth medical school), then you should definitely make a change, otherwise you will clearly regret it if you end up going to Plymouth.

Are you not willing to put any of your other offers as your insurance?

I think I didn't explain it as well as I should have I have firmed Cardiff and insured Plymouth, but they are both AAA offers so I dont really see how I could go to my insurance in any circumstances....
Okay so last week I firmed Cardiff and insured Plymouth for medicine, but I can't seem to shift this feeling of regret, it's almost a physical pain when I think of Plymouth medical school (I know it sounds stupid). I know Cardiff was the better choice theoretically; it has a course better suited to me, more opportunities and is closer to home so my parents are happy.... has anyone had this feeling/ is having this feeling, I really don't know what to do!

Have you visited both?
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
Have you visited both?

yes I live in Cardiff so have been to the uni LOADS, and I went to the Plymouth open day twice, and for my interview...
There are pages on tsr re choosing your firm and insurance, and UCAS has a helpline today because it is decision deadline day. See whether they can talk you through the decision (assuming you're still within the 7 days when you can change).

Wow - I admire you so much as I'm hoping to apply to both these places for medicine so being in your position would be a dream! Having visited both I can see why you'd find it hard to decide. Plymouth also gave free food at the open day :wink: but seriously, go with where you feel you're going to love living for 5 years! Congrats on two offers!!!
Reply 9
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Wow - I admire you so much as I'm hoping to apply to both these places for medicine so being in your position would be a dream! Having visited both I can see why you'd find it hard to decide. Plymouth also gave free food at the open day :wink: but seriously, go with where you feel you're going to love living for 5 years! Congrats on two offers!!!

thanks! yeah they are both great universities, my greatest advice looking back would be to go to the open days (which it seems like you are doing) and REALLY look into the course, I did not do that last year and when it came to deciding I realised that it was the most important thing, don't apply somewhere for reputation (I did that with Birmingham and after having an offer I realised it really wasn't for me) good luck!
thanks! yeah they are both great universities, my greatest advice looking back would be to go to the open days (which it seems like you are doing) and REALLY look into the course, I did not do that last year and when it came to deciding I realised that it was the most important thing, don't apply somewhere for reputation (I did that with Birmingham and after having an offer I realised it really wasn't for me) good luck!

Yeah I know I definitely like the "spiral" curriculum at Cardiff and Plymouth. It seems like they have a really good way of teaching, with a balance between lectures and placements etc. I personally don't like the look of courses such as that at Bristol where you don't get a lot of clinical contact in your first 2 years.

So what's the secret to your success? :wink: 3 offers - you must be an amazing candidate! :smile: I'm trying to apply to the places I think are most likely to like me and that's how I've got my short list but I get so nervous I'll get 4 straight out rejections :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending