The Student Room Group

Low mental health due to no offers

Hello, I've been applying through UCAS for 2 years for economics and I have been rejected by all 10 choices I have made 2 years in a row. Im not sure what to do anymore and I cannot afford to waste anymore time.

I don't know what to do, I have 4 A*'s in further maths, physics, maths, and epq.

I always wanted to go into a finance degree at a top university, however I don't see that I have any choices to go to... I really think it is a waste of my grades and time to settle for a degree that I wouldn't be happy studying in.

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sorry not epq, I meant history.
Original post by Anonymous
sorry not epq, I meant history.

Broaden your routes. University isnt the only option and your grades are great. Or just make a whole career change, tech is a nice field to hop into atm especially within apprenticeships.
Hello, I've been applying through UCAS for 2 years for economics and I have been rejected by all 10 choices I have made 2 years in a row. Im not sure what to do anymore and I cannot afford to waste anymore time.

I don't know what to do, I have 4 A*'s in further maths, physics, maths, and epq.

I always wanted to go into a finance degree at a top university, however I don't see that I have any choices to go to... I really think it is a waste of my grades and time to settle for a degree that I wouldn't be happy studying in.

What should I do?

Which 10?
Reply 4
Original post by amanuel.amarious
Broaden your routes. University isnt the only option and your grades are great. Or just make a whole career change, tech is a nice field to hop into atm especially within apprenticeships.

Not quite sure how to get into that, could you provide me some help where to research etc

but I did have my eyes quite set on chartered accountancy or some form of consulting, or even Investment banking
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Which 10?

Year 1: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Kings

Year 2: LSE, UCL, Imperial, Kings

My fault for having such high hopes, but my school friend who had lower grades than me and in my opinion a weaker personal statement got into LSE which gave me a lot of false hope
Reply 6
Shouldn't economics be based on the ability to count...???

I applied for 2 courses at lse, sorry.
Reply 7

Economics and economic history

What should I do?

Sorry to hear about that. Are they giving you any feedback to work on? Are the courses just all full up?

If I were you, I'd probably research apprenticeships in financial companies or get a financial job, and continue applying.

Wishing you the best x
Year 1: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Kings

Year 2: LSE, UCL, Imperial, Kings

My fault for having such high hopes, but my school friend who had lower grades than me and in my opinion a weaker personal statement got into LSE which gave me a lot of false hope

Look at rate my apprenticeship
Gov apprenticeships website
Etc
Reply 10
Economics and economic history

Why did you apply again to unis which rejected you? Have you looked at what is available in Extra? The unis you list aren;t the only good ones.
Not quite sure how to get into that, could you provide me some help where to research etc

but I did have my eyes quite set on chartered accountancy or some form of consulting, or even Investment banking

None of which require an economics degree. You could look at flying start/similar. Consulting & IB consider a wide number of degrees, with both they tend to recruit top performers at top institutions (although they have quite different recruit processes). Frankly if you suffer with mental health due to university applications you will probably struggle more with the processes involved in recruitment to these companies (which will often involve many hours of mentally taxing recruitment processes often for very quick rejections or total lack of communication for weeks .. and very low offer percentages i.e. single digit percentages).
Reply 12
Original post by VoodooHannah
Sorry to hear about that. Are they giving you any feedback to work on? Are the courses just all full up?

If I were you, I'd probably research apprenticeships in financial companies or get a financial job, and continue applying.

Wishing you the best x

Thank you, they say due to competition.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Why did you apply again to unis which rejected you? Have you looked at what is available in Extra? The unis you list aren;t the only good ones.

Thought my work experience, upgraded personal statement and achieved grades would have made it possible, I also have a place to stay in London so I wouldn’t have to pay for accommodation
Reply 14
Original post by mnot
None of which require an economics degree. You could look at flying start/similar. Consulting & IB consider a wide number of degrees, with both they tend to recruit top performers at top institutions (although they have quite different recruit processes). Frankly if you suffer with mental health due to university applications you will probably struggle more with the processes involved in recruitment to these companies (which will often involve many hours of mentally taxing recruitment processes often for very quick rejections or total lack of communication for weeks .. and very low offer percentages i.e. single digit percentages).

I understand, I’m more so hurt not by the rejection it’s about the 2 year wait to study something I really do have a passion in. I’m in a bit of a rush for this reply so I will reply with a better when I am free sorry for the brief reply

No worries, it was half in jest hence the construction of my comment. I'm still surprised though.
Reply 16
No worries, it was half in jest hence the construction of my comment. I'm still surprised though.

Haha maybe that’s why I didn’t get any offers 😭 but truly kind of lost at the moment and just asking for help and options I can go on to
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79

Yeah they aren’t the only good ones, but I did try to aim very high which I think was rightful for me judging by my work experience, grades etc… guess I was wrong. Would you suggest any other courses?
Reply 18
Yeah they aren’t the only good ones, but I did try to aim very high which I think was rightful for me judging by my work experience, grades etc… guess I was wrong. Would you suggest any other courses?

Look in extra - what is on offer? Bath or exeter would be good.
Reply 19

You made two major mistakes whilst explaining your situation to us. I wonder how well you checked your applications to UCAS tbh

Quick Reply

Latest