The Student Room Group

Help, 2-Minute Monologue for my Junior Conservatoire Audition?!

Hi, I've never auditioned for juniors before, but I go to RCS classes every week and my teacher recommended that I apply. Unfortunately, I've never had to do a monologue - EVER - and now I'm starting to panic. I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me the names of any good teen girl monologues that I could do? I'm only 14, so nothing too adult please!! Thanks so much! :smile:

Ps - it's musical theatre, I'm singing a song but it's the monologue I'm worried about. It has to be around 2 mins long, monologue or performance piece :smile:
Reply 1
I can't point to any monologues for you specifically but if you really want to pursue it then the best place to start is at the beginning. There's no point in panicking, just visit libraries or ask drama teachers at your school for contemporary (modern) plays that suit you.

Big no-nos are doing monologues for characters who are difficult to imagine you playing for audiences.

Don't try any accents different from your own, if you can do accents that's great but panels want to hear you, not an American - unless you are American that is.

You also have to be willing to put yourself on the frontline and face any result with thick skin. Don't let anything affect you on a personal level.

When you read some plays and find a monologue, try and find the emotion you feel from it and don't use the ideas of actresses who have played the role as you want to be different not similar. That being said, choose monologues and plays that aren't extremely common. A friend I work with told me that 'if you pick a monologue that has been acted by someone popular you'll get contrasted to how they played it and they'll think of how you compare to said actress.' Be original with your choice. It doesn't have to be a needle in a haystack, but it shouldn't be something a lot of people might try and perform (like actors/tresses who do Romeo & Juliet monologues CRINGE).
(edited 9 years ago)
First of all, thank you so much for replying so quickly, and with such great advice! I'm working on a few monologues now, and am going to perform them for my RCS teacher for practice. Thank you so much, I really wasn't sure how to go about the process at all, you've made my first audition a whole lot easier.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by dramafreak13
Hi, I've never auditioned for juniors before, but I go to RCS classes every week and my teacher recommended that I apply. Unfortunately, I've never had to do a monologue - EVER - and now I'm starting to panic. I don't know where to start! Can anyone give me the names of any good teen girl monologues that I could do? I'm only 14, so nothing too adult please!! Thanks so much! :smile:

Ps - it's musical theatre, I'm singing a song but it's the monologue I'm worried about. It has to be around 2 mins long, monologue or performance piece :smile:

Hi there,

I am hopefully going to start an NC Acting course in August.
I am in the same predicament as yourself.
I will be a very mature student compared to yourself,but I feel the same dread.
I have to audition with two,2 minutes opposing monologues.
I have posted on here looking for some advice regarding those monologues.
If I receive some replies with good advice I shall pass on the information to yourself and if you would kindly do the same.

All the best young lady.
Break a leg.

Quick Reply

Latest