The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,
I researched about this medical school a bit, and it seems to be one of my favourite in europe. If I do get AAB in August I am planning to apply here. The only question is whether I am going to go ahead with my already planned gap year. Akwon and Lisha seem to have taken one...Do u guys feel even more refreshed and energised to start?
Also, what effects do u think brexit will have on us returning to uk afterwards if any
Reply 62
Original post by lawlieto
and if you are planning to learn the language, start ASAP, it's hard.

Hi! I'm looking to apply at Semmelweis to study medicine! How is everyone enjoying it? Would you recommend it?
Reply 63
Me too Hopefully this Sep, but the only thing worries me is this course is for 6years, I speak English but no Hungarians, also how about a job?I have to work too. Are there any jobs for international students in Hungary?
Original post by Newdoc2014
Hello everyone,

I am from the UK and have just been accepted into the 6 year MD program at Semmelweis University in Hungary. As you can imagine moving to Hungary is a big deal especially if it is going to be for 6 years! I am fairly new to this whole process but do know a few good things about the school: GMC approves, Canadian approved, California board state approved (a must if you want to practice in the USA as it allows you to write their entrance exams upon graduation from the medical school), Listed medical school by the WHO. So as far as the school is concerned and the fact that they offer about 6 dozen different clinical rotation places throughout the world I am happy with it. However, this is what I do not know:

1. Living conditions - how safe is Budapest?

2. Teaching environment - how good are the teachers?

3. What are the clinical placements like?

4. What should I know about the program that school might not tell you but a student with experience would suggest?

5. How satisfying is the program??

If someone could chip in who is in the program or has applied or been accepted this year or could bring any valuable information to the table - such as knowing a friend in the program please write back.

Thank you kindly :smile:

Hey there! My sister went to Semmelweiss on this program, and I have visited Budapest multiple times so I can answer some aspects of this!

1.) Budapest is extremely safe; I never felt like there were particularly dodgy areas or like I was at risk. Of course, it is like any other big city--keep your wits about you and use common sense! It's such a lovely city and has a great, upbeat vibe to it.

2/5.) There are tons of labs that you do right away, in the first year onwards, with real cadavers which is really exciting (er, at least for my sister. Speaking on behalf of your family members, please wait until dinner is over to tell your stories ahout this lol). I think this is what sets the program apart from US or Western programs in general. Beware some teachers may have thick accents.

4.) Plan your exams wisely...a lot of people tend to power through all of them in a span of a week, knowing they will fail some but then they have time for retakes. If you spread them out you can have a Christmas holiday, but have less time for retakes. Depending on how close you are to your family and how much of a break you need should be the determining factor. Be kind to yourself, and start practicing oral exam methods early in the semester!

This likely isn't as thorough as you've wished but hopefully it helps!
Hi! I’m applying at Semmelweis to study medicine and my entrance exam is going to be at the end of May. I’m anxious because I’ve heard a lot of different things about the entrance exam. Can you guys share your experience with me? Please give me some advice.
Hi! Congratulations on getting accepted! Would you please introduce me a book for basic terminology(or medical English)? I need one for entrance exam.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ATfitness
Thank you :smile:
the exam wasn't too difficult if you know your material. since i studied a levels, they had the same type of info i needed to know. its not tricky in any way, its very straight forward.

Hey what types of questions did they ask you in the interview
Original post by akwon14
i got mine today too! do you know how many people got in this year?

Hey what types of questions did they ask you in the interview
Original post by Violalumiere
Hi! I’m applying at Semmelweis to study medicine and my entrance exam is going to be at the end of May. I’m anxious because I’ve heard a lot of different things about the entrance exam. Can you guys share your experience with me? Please give me some advice.

Do you have any idea what types of questions there will be in the interview
Original post by Iffy1357
Do you have any idea what types of questions there will be in the interview

Yes! They will ask you to introduce yourself and talk about the reason you have for taking the exam. For instance, “Why medicine?” “Why this university?” “Why this country?”
They may ask you about your hobbies ans favorite sports and so on. Also they ask you to talk about biology as well as chemistry, for example “Talk about the circulatory system and “What is pH?”
When is your exam?
Yes! They will ask you to introduce yourself and talk about the reason you have for taking the exam. For instance, “Why medicine?” “Why this university?” “Why this country?”
They may ask you about your hobbies ans favorite sports and so on. Also they ask you to talk about biology as well as chemistry, for example “Talk about the circulatory system and “What is pH?”
When is your exam?

26th may. I'm applying to the uni of pecs for dentistry. You?
(edited 5 years ago)
26th may. I'm applying to the uni of pecs for dentistry. You?

I take my exam almost next week for Semmelweis medical programme. Why pecs? There are better universities for studying dentistry in Hungary.
I take my exam almost next week for Semmelweis medical programme. Why pecs? There are better universities for studying dentistry in Hungary.

Someone I know did it from pecs and they liked it. They have a small class, and I've heard teachers tend to pay more attention to students, so yh.

Good luck on the exam and interview, could you let me know how it goes when it's done.
Someone I know did it from pecs and they liked it. They have a small class, and I've heard teachers tend to pay more attention to students, so yh.

Good luck on the exam and interview, could you let me know how it goes when it's done.

Sure, remind me next week and I will share my experience.
Thank you, and the same to you.
Sure, remind me next week and I will share my experience.
Thank you, and the same to you.

Hey, how did the exam go?
And what did they end up asking at the interview?
Hey, how did the exam go?
And what did they end up asking at the interview?

Hi
The written part was fine, English questions were easy but chem and bio were a little bit harder. Also there was an essay (actually a paragraph) that we had to write.
Interview was ok! I was really nervous but the interviewer was kind and friendly. He asked about myself, the reason behind my decision (studying med) and my school. Then he started asking lots of bio questions! They were all basic (protein, enzymes, organelles and such things). After that he asked about ionic bonds and pH. After all these he asked about art and my hobbies and charity works. It took about 25 minuets.
I hope this help! I haven’t received the results yet but I really hope to get accepted!
Hi
The written part was fine, English questions were easy but chem and bio were a little bit harder. Also there was an essay (actually a paragraph) that we had to write.
Interview was ok! I was really nervous but the interviewer was kind and friendly. He asked about myself, the reason behind my decision (studying med) and my school. Then he started asking lots of bio questions! They were all basic (protein, enzymes, organelles and such things). After that he asked about ionic bonds and pH. After all these he asked about art and my hobbies and charity works. It took about 25 minuets.
I hope this help! I haven’t received the results yet but I really hope to get accepted!

Thank you so much.
Hi

I also had my exam on 26th of May in London. Have you heard back yet?
Original post by pm444
I also had my exam on 26th of May in London. Have you heard back yet?

No I haven't heard back. You?

Latest

Trending

Trending