The Student Room Group

Higher Technological Studies

Hey guys! Anyone else here sitting the Tech. Studies exam on Thursday?

What kind of last-minute prep are you doing for it? Anyone nervous?
Original post by Princepieman
Hey guys! Anyone else here sitting the Tech. Studies exam on Thursday?

What kind of last-minute prep are you doing for it? Anyone nervous?

I'm planning on doing past papers all of tomorrow and Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be ready. I got 77% in the prelim so I hope it'll go well
Original post by lemonade0758
I'm planning on doing past papers all of tomorrow and Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be ready. I got 77% in the prelim so I hope it'll go well

Same here, I'll try to do 2-3 full past papers tomorrow and some in the evening (french exam) on Wednesday.

I got 68% in the prelim, hoping to push that into A territory - 3 hours is a daunting amount of time though so we'll see.

Any aspects of the course you're finding difficult?
Good luck for French, I dropped it last year.
3 hours is very long and very daunting.
I would say structures. I don't know what I'm doing half the time but somehow get it mostly right. I'm looking forward to logic questions.
I would say structures. I don't know what I'm doing half the time but somehow get it mostly right. I'm looking forward to logic questions.

Thanks! French is my only 'easy' higher so it shouldn't be too bad, my teacher wants me to get 95%+ which seems unrealistic to be honest.

I lurrrvveee structures - especially nodal analysis! I find them pretty straight forward but it gets confusing when you have the factor of safety questions. Logic is okish slightly more difficult than structures. I'm hoping for a lot of programming and electronics questions though!
Thanks! French is my only 'easy' higher so it shouldn't be too bad, my teacher wants me to get 95%+ which seems unrealistic to be honest.

I lurrrvveee structures - especially nodal analysis! I find them pretty straight forward but it gets confusing when you have the factor of safety questions. Logic is okish slightly more difficult than structures. I'm hoping for a lot of programming and electronics questions though!

Programming's good but can take some time and if you realise something has gone wrong at the top then you may need to sort the whole thing and electronics are ok

Haha same here. I don't know what I am doing over half the time especially when doing the nodal analysis question but do usually manage at least half marks in the question.
Does anyone have any good notes for any of the topics? It really sucks all I can do is past paper questions and have no notes and didn't have a proper teacher all year.
Original post by legenRajveer
Haha same here. I don't know what I am doing over half the time especially when doing the nodal analysis question but do usually manage at least half marks in the question.
Does anyone have any good notes for any of the topics? It really sucks all I can do is past paper questions and have no notes and didn't have a proper teacher all year.

I know how you feel. We rushed through how to do examples and then told to do examples and the teacher went and dissappeared for the rest of the period. This happened all year. And last year come to think of it. But Standard Grade was really not that difficult.
Any one know how to do Q11E) in the paper today,
Original post by ElSpencerano
Any one know how to do Q11E) in the paper today,

Yeah, the graph should have been a curve crossing the x-axis at 1.75 and going up to 10 at 2.75 and curving off there. Well, that's what everyone thought at my school. I hope that's clear as well.

I've sent my terrible quickly made graph that I hope clears things up
I know how you feel. We rushed through how to do examples and then told to do examples and the teacher went and dissappeared for the rest of the period. This happened all year. And last year come to think of it. But Standard Grade was really not that difficult.

We had poor instruction throughout the year. Our first teacher who we had for the first two months taught us nothing and whenever we asked a question he told us to google it (which resulted in learning nothing). Then he left and we were left short of teachers so this part time teacher( he was quite good) taught us 3 periods of electronics up until now. And another teacher would teach us 2 periods of structures. But structures was quite rushed and the teacher left after a few weeks. It was a real pain studying for this subject all year, most of the time I had to do stuff myself. Is it just me who thinks that most teachers for tech studies can't really teach well? I have only ever met a few good ones.

And how did you find the exam today? I found section A okay but B was difficult! Lost many marks there.
I quite enjoyed that exam today! I did question 10 and 11 for section B, what did you guys do? How did you find the exam overall?

I may have slightly messed up the boolean equation and the logic diagrams, but apart from that all is well. Hoping for an A!!
Original post by legenRajveer
We had poor instruction throughout the year. Our first teacher who we had for the first two months taught us nothing and whenever we asked a question he told us to google it (which resulted in learning nothing). Then he left and we were left short of teachers so this part time teacher( he was quite good) taught us 3 periods of electronics up until now. And another teacher would teach us 2 periods of structures. But structures was quite rushed and the teacher left after a few weeks. It was a real pain studying for this subject all year, most of the time I had to do stuff myself. Is it just me who thinks that most teachers for tech studies can't really teach well? I have only ever met a few good ones.

And how did you find the exam today? I found section A okay but B was difficult! Lost many marks there.

Yeah, on the job application form: must be able to not teach well. Section A was a gift and absolutely wonderful and then section B was challenging...
I quite enjoyed that exam today! I did question 10 and 11 for section B, what did you guys do? How did you find the exam overall?

I may have slightly messed up the boolean equation and the logic diagrams, but apart from that all is well. Hoping for an A!!

Yeah I did quite enjoy it. I did 10 and 11 as well. It was a nice exam paper, not that there is such a thing!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending