The Student Room Group

What does 'a shield not a sword' mean?

I get Promissory Estoppel, just not what this phrase means. Please explain it in a basic, simple way as if you were telling a 12 year old. Because after several explanations I still don't understand
Original post by Miracle Day
I get Promissory Estoppel, just not what this phrase means. Please explain it in a basic, simple way as if you were telling a 12 year old. Because after several explanations I still don't understand

It means you can only use promissory etoppel is not a cause of action and can only be used as a defence against someone trying to sue you.
Original post by RumpeIstiltskin
It means you can only use promissory etoppel is not a cause of action and can only be used as a defence against someone trying to sue you.

This^

It can be relied upon as a defense but not used as a basis for a claim.
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
This^

It can be relied upon as a defense but not used as a basis for a claim.

Original post by RumpeIstiltskin

So basically:

If someone made a promise to me, and I relied upon it blah blah, and then they went back on the promise, I can't take them to court for it?

But if someone made a promise to me, and I relied upon it and they took me to court, I can use it?
Original post by Miracle Day
So basically:

If someone made a promise to me, and I relied upon it blah blah, and then they went back on the promise, I can't take them to court for it?

But if someone made a promise to me, and I relied upon it and they took me to court, I can use it?

Yes. Promissory estoppel can't be used to bring action against another it can only be relied on as a defence. Thus 'a shield not a sword' because you're expected to guard with a shield - which is moot point :b
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending