The Student Room Group

Football teams you have a "soft spot" for ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rockrunride
Queens Park Rangers (best mate's team), Norwich (mum's team).

Teams that I wouldn't say I had a 'soft spot' for but would like to see do well are probably Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley, Bradford, Huddersfield, Nottingham Forest, Cambridge United, Dagenham & Redbridge, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Millwall, Wimbledon (basically every South London team). Mainly the aforementioned so we can play them sooner!

Used to not mind Leeds either but I've been to Elland Road now and it was a ballache in every respect. We lost 2-1 as well :grumble:

Who do you support ? And just out of interest why would you want to see Bradford do well ?
Original post by IMBCFC
Who do you support ? And just out of interest why would you want to see Bradford do well ?

Tottenham. Just out of nostalgia for their Premiership years really, they're a fairly big club for where they are among the 92 and I'd like to go to Valley Parade to see us play them in one of the cups. They also seem like quite a traditional Yorkshire club with a good fanbase. No particular heartfelt interest mind!
(edited 9 years ago)
Arsenal and Bristol city
Tottenham. Just out of nostalgia for their Premiership years really, they're a fairly big club for where they are among the 92 and I'd like to go to Valley Parade to see us play them in one of the cups. They also seem like quite a traditional Yorkshire club with a good fanbase. No particular heartfelt interest mind!

And us beating Arsenal adds to your liking too I suppose:smile:
Original post by IMBCFC
And us beating Arsenal adds to your liking too I suppose:smile:

Haha yes of course, but I was jealous of them getting to play at yours in the first place. One of football's romances is to turn out away on a cold midweek night in a town very far from your own.
Haha yes of course, but I was jealous of them getting to play at yours in the first place. One of football's romances is to turn out away on a cold midweek night in a town very far from your own.

One of the most overrated experiences in football imho. Spending £100s of pounds to visit some ****hole part of the country does not strike me as romantic at all really, it's just a cliche.
Would much rather do a London away, £5 on the tube, and go for a few drinks afterwards. The football is every bit as enjoyable and that's what you're going for after all.

European away trips are different, I would gladly go to watch Arsenal play anywhere on the continent since you'll see something a bit different. What are you going to see in Bradford? A depressing town and then hours on the train? No thanks.
Dortmund mostly because of an fm game I had going years back.
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Yeovil Town. Silly reason: my mate and I were playing FIFA and decided to use random teams. He got Réal Madrid. I got Yeovil Town. I lost 6-2, but I can tell you we put up a damn good fight (despite the score) - every player had barely any stamina left, and I had to use two subs in the first half.

I'm the same... I found Yeovil Town on FIFA and they've been my soft spot ever since... I beat my brother 3-2 with him as Bayern Munich recently :colone: His frustration was brilliant

Yeovil are also one of my local(ish) clubs, would love to go see them play when I'm next home :biggrin:
Original post by Zürich
One of the most overrated experiences in football imho. Spending £100s of pounds to visit some ****hole part of the country does not strike me as romantic at all really, it's just a cliche.
Would much rather do a London away, £5 on the tube, and go for a few drinks afterwards. The football is every bit as enjoyable and that's what you're going for after all.

European away trips are different, I would gladly go to watch Arsenal play anywhere on the continent since you'll see something a bit different. What are you going to see in Bradford? A depressing town and then hours on the train? No thanks.

I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near doing a Euro away. That point I agree with you on. I'd also rather do a London away. I sacked off Liverpool away to watch us at Stamford Bridge this year. Turned out to be a choice of watching a 4-0 defeat or a 4-0 defeat, but basically reasoned that I could go to Liverpool at any time, and the demand for Chelsea away could leave me in the lurch in years to come. Not to mention the already familiar journey (already been to Goodison).

But I generally like most aspects of the domestic away experience. Trains, buses, mixing with locals, drinking different (and cheaper) beer, going to a different ground. Even places like Stoke, which I have no interest in returning to in the near future, have their initial charm. If I were offered a choice between Millwall away and Bradford away, I'd choose Millwall. But that's not to say I wouldn't head up there if we played.
Reply 29
Hull City as I have lots of family from Hull, and Ajax as their fans are brillinat.
Chelsea fan here. I have to be honest and say I have a soft spot for man city, man united, barca and spurs because they host respectable players such as Nasri, Van Persie, Fabregas and Adebayor who show great sportsmanship, loyalty and love for their teams
Original post by TheNervousWreck
I'm an Arsenal fan but I have a soft spot for a few clubs:

Notts County, Aston Villa, Derby County, Nottingham Forrest, Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Millwall, Yeovil Town

Don't really know why I just do.

Well all of the highlighted are important clubs in the English game and have been throughout it's history. Every single one of them oozes English football with plenty of identity so it's probably that.

You may change your mind on wanting Villa to do well once you've become familiar with my posts though :biggrin:.
Oh no I'm a tottenham fan u can never like the other top 6 teams no chance
I support Sheff Wednesday

I like Man city & Chelsea I watch most of their games, its enjoyable to watch such an elite level of footy
Original post by redleader1
I know you probably passionate about your own team, however what team would/do you have a "soft spot" for and why, state your own team too.

Firstly, I am a Bradford fan and the team I have a soft spot is Leeds :eek:. The reason is because Leeds have a great fan base and are really passionate about their team. The town centre is really nice too and their the biggest team in Yorkshire.

my favorite team is portsmouth fc of sky bet leauge 1 but i would say aston villa or man utd cuz the are great teams
Reply 35
Tottenham are my 2nd watch, like ManU (my 1st) they are exciting in attack (not quite so ingeniuos though) but a bit ropey in defence.
I support underdog teams as a rule. In this season - and the seasons before - it is Holstein Kiel, the team that kicked Bayern out in 2nd round of the national cup competition. Kiel has a real chance to promote in Bundesliga.
I’m an Aston Villa fan but got a soft spot for boreham wood as I always park right outside their ground when I visit elstree studios to watch the apprentice it takes 2 being recorded and ever since then I always keep a look out for their results on sky sports news lmao.

They look like they are doing well atm and going for promotion, even though I was sad that they sold sorba Thomas

Quick Reply

Latest