The Student Room Group

OCR M2 19th May 2014

Got M2 on Monday, feeling pretty okay about it (though I thought same about FP1 on Friday... :P).

Exam solutions might have saved me once again like with M1!

Anyway just made this thread as there was an FP1 discussion thread but not an M2 one :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Im worried they will make it hard as they did with FP1. Like the difficulty of it compared to the past papers was crazy, hope the M2 paper is a nice one, need an A* in it
Reply 2
Original post by dr.zoidberg
Im worried they will make it hard as they did with FP1. Like the difficulty of it compared to the past papers was crazy, hope the M2 paper is a nice one, need an A* in it

I'd like an easy-ish one as I don't do Physics. Put the numbers in front of me and I can do it- but I sometimes struggle with actually visualising what is going on (like with the forces etc)- and this is a quite major part of mechanics :/

I've been averaging a good 80-90% on the past papers which I would definitely take considering I don't really understand much of M2 :P
Reply 3
Original post by stirkee
I'd like an easy-ish one as I don't do Physics. Put the numbers in front of me and I can do it- but I sometimes struggle with actually visualising what is going on (like with the forces etc)- and this is a quite major part of mechanics :/

I've been averaging a good 80-90% on the past papers which I would definitely take considering I don't really understand much of M2 :P

You tried drawing diagrams for each question? I find that this really helped me with the forces and stuff....
Reply 4
Original post by Surf
You tried drawing diagrams for each question? I find that this really helped me with the forces and stuff....

I always draw diagrams and it really does help :smile:

But yeah, even so, I sometimes struggle because I don't really understand what is going on in many cases. Normally I can get by though!
Reply 5
Original post by stirkee
I always draw diagrams and it really does help :smile:

But yeah, even so, I sometimes struggle because I don't really understand what is going on in many cases. Normally I can get by though!

That must be quite challenging! But then if you are doing well then its working! I'd love an easy paper for this one....
Reply 6
I'm particularly worried about the work, energy and force questions, these can be relatively simple in comparison to the rest of the paper but they can be really hard if they put loads of different forces and resistances etc. Sometimes it's hard to get the right equations...
Reply 7
Original post by OddGog
I'm particularly worried about the work, energy and force questions, these can be relatively simple in comparison to the rest of the paper but they can be really hard if they put loads of different forces and resistances etc. Sometimes it's hard to get the right equations...

I think as long as you draw a clear diagram and focus hard on which forces assist/resist motion then these ones are ok.

Just remember the work-energy principle! Everything to do with work can be solved with this! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Surf
I think as long as you draw a clear diagram and focus hard on which forces assist/resist motion then these ones are ok.

Just remember the work-energy principle! Everything to do with work can be solved with this! :smile:

It can but they always confuse me. In the textbook in says work= change in kinetic energy but lots of the time in the exam it is total change in energy. Can you help me out on this. Other than this I am ready for the exam.
Reply 9
Original post by JimmyA*
It can but they always confuse me. In the textbook in says work= change in kinetic energy but lots of the time in the exam it is total change in energy. Can you help me out on this. Other than this I am ready for the exam.

if the object is moving in a straight line on a horizontal plane with no resistance then the work done is equal to the change in KE yeah.

But if it moves up or down at all and if there's any resistance then you have to take those into account as well.

I think that's how it works anyway :P
Reply 10
Original post by stirkee
if the object is moving in a straight line on a horizontal plane with no resistance then the work done is equal to the change in KE yeah.

But if it moves up or down at all and if there's any resistance then you have to take those into account as well.

I think that's how it works anyway :P

Thanks very much. Is it the same for the extended work energy principle?
Reply 11
Original post by JimmyA*
Thanks very much. Is it the same for the extended work energy principle?

WD = Change in energy so yes, I think.

See examsolutions video on it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fT3b8FtNY
Reply 12
I'm actually sort of looking forward to this exam :lol: M2 is fun (not as much as M3 though)!
Original post by OddGog

go to examsolutions.net and watch the video tutorials for those. i found it so helpful, also great with other modules!
Reply 14
just did jan 2012 and it worried me so much because of how hard I found it... Only got 55/72. Then I realised that it was 52/72 for an A :biggrin:

Now I'm less worried :P
Reply 15
I'm doing this exam too... Straight after C1 I believe (Why did OCR put them at the same time fgs). There's 7 of us in our (Further) Maths class doing this. Our Mock was as follows: U, U, U, E, E, D, C (I got an E and the C was someone who should be Y13, but stayed down a year, he had already done the June 2013 paper for real). Not looking forward to it. But then again, I have definitely improved since then. Getting constant B's only a couple of marks of an A everytime.

Original post by dr.zoidberg
go to examsolutions.net and watch the video tutorials for those.

I use that site all the time too, but I can't get on it at the moment. Is it down for everyone or just me?

EDIT: Also, is there a C1 thread? I can only find MEI ones.

EDIT 2: Meh, I made one
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Sam596
I'm doing this exam too... Straight after C1 I believe (Why did OCR put them at the same time fgs). There's 7 of us in our (Further) Maths class doing this. Our Mock was as follows: U, U, U, E, E, D, C (I got an E and the C was someone who should be Y13, but stayed down a year, he had already done the June 2013 paper for real). Not looking forward to it. But then again, I have definitely improved since then. Getting constant B's only a couple of marks of an A everytime.

I use that site all the time too, but I can't get on it at the moment. Is it down for everyone or just me?

EDIT: Also, is there a C1 thread? I can only find MEI ones.

EDIT 2: Meh, I made one

Your maths teacher must be awful.

Also, it's not just you. Working for me though.
Reply 17
Now doing June 2007's Paper. Then a C1, then to bed. I need my sleep - I was too tired in FP1... :P
Reply 18
I'm a little worried about M2, out of all the modules I do this is by far the one I have the most trouble with. The June 2013 paper was such a killer, I couldn't do the last 2 questions when I tried to do it earlier.
Feel like everyone else here (worried) tbh. I got burnt thinking of all the questions that might come up. Done all the 2006-13 past papers and have been pretty varied (Bs to high-range As, aside from Xmas mock (D)).

My main worry is taking moments about complex objects like what was required in Q7 Jun 11 (10 marks).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest