The Student Room Group

University of Law (London Moorgate, Bloomsbury) vs University of Law Birmingham

Hi all,

I have made the decision to self fund my LPC and yes I am well aware of the risks of self funding my LP, as training contract is not guaranteed.

However, I am in a dilemma and I was wondering whether anyone would shed any light on this matter. What difference does it make if you study LPC in the London office compared to the Birmingham office? Apart from the prices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The course materials, workshop tasks, exams etc. are identical for every centre (I'm unusual in that I did attend two, difference negligible).

At Birmingham the majority of tutors have practised in Birmingham, and the careers service is geared towards Birmingham TCs, and London I imagine they will be former City practitioners at Moorgate and more generic London practitioners at Bloomsbury.

If you wanted to work in London/Brum long term it wouldn't be prohibitive by any means to attend the other, but if the careers thing is important you may be better at the one in your preferred city, though London is quite a bit more of course.
Original post by Le Nombre
The course materials, workshop tasks, exams etc. are identical for every centre (I'm unusual in that I did attend two, difference negligible).

At Birmingham the majority of tutors have practised in Birmingham, and the careers service is geared towards Birmingham TCs, and London I imagine they will be former City practitioners at Moorgate and more generic London practitioners at Bloomsbury.

If you wanted to work in London/Brum long term it wouldn't be prohibitive by any means to attend the other, but if the careers thing is important you may be better at the one in your preferred city, though London is quite a bit more of course.

Thank you for your informative reply.

I think I will go to the Birmingham one - it works out cheaper and from your above post - the difference is negligible and should not have major negative bearing on my careers aspects. I want to work in London preferably (and the option to work abroad)
(edited 9 years ago)
Why not go to a cheaper provider in London? Then you save yourself 6K - bargain!

Will it matter who the provider of your LPC is? If you are reasonably clever you will be able to get great marks on the LPC regardless of where you go.

Also, do you not plan to do some pro bono while on the LPC? If you want to work in London, does it not make sense to come down and get involved?

There shouldn't be THAT much difference between the U of L syllabus for all its providers but maybe...just maybe...the different campuses have different vibes. They certainly have very good careers services at the U of L - if you go to the Bham one, their careers will be rigged for Bham and the London one is rigged to London.
Original post by happyinthehaze
Why not go to a cheaper provider in London? Then you save yourself 6K - bargain!

Will it matter who the provider of your LPC is? If you are reasonably clever you will be able to get great marks on the LPC regardless of where you go.

Also, do you not plan to do some pro bono while on the LPC? If you want to work in London, does it not make sense to come down and get involved?

There shouldn't be THAT much difference between the U of L syllabus for all its providers but maybe...just maybe...the different campuses have different vibes. They certainly have very good careers services at the U of L - if you go to the Bham one, their careers will be rigged for Bham and the London one is rigged to London.

Which one did you have in mind that are 6K cheaper?

I already have pro bono work experience but yes of course I will definitely do some pro bono work when I go on and study my LPC.

I thought it would do.

What do you think you would do if you were in my shoes? I am still applying for some TC's and hopefully that should make things a lot easier but I need to have a plan B.

Thank you so much for your response.
Well, that is a London provider for London provider comparison. It was 6K cheaper for me! I personally decided that I didn't want to pay 6K more than I had to for the LPC given that the course is very samey wherever you go...and I really don't regret that decision!

In your case, you could get the LPC at a London provider for £2600 cheaper than it would cost you at the U of L in Birmingham! But then you would probably have the accommodation cots to factor in. Probably.

You might have a think about the electives and what you fancy doing. Did you know you can move between providers in case your chosen one does not do the elective you want? I wish I had known that!

Good luck anyway. It sounds like Birmingham is right for you - don't you have a big choice of LPC providers up there?
Sorry didn't quote you

Original post by AspiringLawyer1
Which one did you have in mind that are 6K cheaper?

I already have pro bono work experience but yes of course I will definitely do some pro bono work when I go on and study my LPC.

I thought it would do.

What do you think you would do if you were in my shoes? I am still applying for some TC's and hopefully that should make things a lot easier but I need to have a plan B.

Thank you so much for your response.
Well, that is a London provider for London provider comparison. It was 6K cheaper for me! I personally decided that I didn't want to pay 6K more than I had to for the LPC given that the course is very samey wherever you go...and I really don't regret that decision!

In your case, you could get the LPC at a London provider for £2600 cheaper than it would cost you at the U of L in Birmingham! But then you would probably have the accommodation cots to factor in. Probably.

You might have a think about the electives and what you fancy doing. Did you know you can move between providers in case your chosen one does not do the elective you want? I wish I had known that!

Good luck anyway. It sounds like Birmingham is right for you - don't you have a big choice of LPC providers up there?

BCU is a tiny course, and a bit out of town. BPP in Brum is newer but doesn't offer 2 days a week so you have to do all half days, pain if you're commuting from Cov or somewhere and, possibly as a result, is principally just those who are sponsored by BPP (the Shed and DLA are the main ones I think).
More of a closed shop then. I REALLY don't get why LPC providers insist on running the course over four or, horrors, five days. You really don't need to run it over more than two days a week for the core subjects and three days a week (more like two days) for the electives part of the course.

Surely EVERYONE has better things to do with their time than go to college to do the LPC more days than they have to! 1) work 2) pro bono 3) study and 4) other - often family commitments. Plus the travel costs of going in and out more days than you have to are very expensive, regardless of where you are in the UK.

I chose my LPC provider because a) it's very competitively priced and b) it follows a sensible, real-world time table of 2/3 days a week c) it's in London

The LPC market is getting very interesting. Last year, one of the London providers folded - and this year looks like things are getting challenging for Kaplan - their BPTC has already gone to the wolves and they are moving out of their appealing-to-people-who-aren't-from-London river-side location to move somewhere with lower rents. LPC admissions have fallen, although they have increased at my provider.

Original post by Le Nombre
BCU is a tiny course, and a bit out of town. BPP in Brum is newer but doesn't offer 2 days a week so you have to do all half days, pain if you're commuting from Cov or somewhere and, possibly as a result, is principally just those who are sponsored by BPP (the Shed and DLA are the main ones I think).
More of a closed shop then. I REALLY don't get why LPC providers insist on running the course over four or, horrors, five days. You really don't need to run it over more than two days a week for the core subjects and three days a week (more like two days) for the electives part of the course.

Surely EVERYONE has better things to do with their time than go to college to do the LPC more days than they have to! 1) work 2) pro bono 3) study and 4) other - often family commitments. Plus the travel costs of going in and out more days than you have to are very expensive, regardless of where you are in the UK.

I chose my LPC provider because a) it's very competitively priced and b) it follows a sensible, real-world time table of 2/3 days a week c) it's in London

Most older solicitors complained about the lack of content in the LPC compared with the old Solicitors Finals. Generally that was ascribed to teaching skills better learnt in the office rather than knowledge. As a greater proportion of lawyers have studied the LPC that criticism has fallen. You would now have to be at least 45 to have done Finals.

However for the 15 years or so when Finals was a course of the same length as the LPC, students had lectures (essentially school-like whole class teaching) for half a day (either mornings or afternoon), 5 days a week and and generally two or three tutorials (smaller groups of 16 or 17 with interaction between teachers and taught), 2 or 3 times a week on the other half days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending