The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BasharAssad
Iraq? of course it was you fag.

Prove it ?
Original post by Drewski
The referendum was held after Russian forces moved in. It was decided by only the local Government in Crimea, was not recognised by the Gov of Ukraine and declared illegitimate by factions both inside and outside of the country.

Hence the legally dubious.

Original post by arson_fire
After the russian tanks had already crossed the border into the ukraine.

well, I still think it's too early to compare Hitler and Vlad together.Hitler went on to perpetrate a number of other gruesome crimes that Putin has not.
Original post by WitnessMO
well, I still think it's too early to compare Hitler and Vlad together.Hitler went on to perpetrate a number of other gruesome crimes that Putin has not.

And that's when you're reading far too much into the statement.

He's comparing a single like-for-like incident. I could do the same but in a much more basic way; you're a breathing human being. So was Hitler. Ergo, you're like Hitler. Factually accurate in every detail.

That statement does not mean that I think, like Hitler, you'll lead a country to perpetrate genocide. It just means that I believe you have a single thing in common with another single person.

Like everyone else who got all flummoxed by this, you've taken 2+2 and decided the answer is elephant. The actual answer is 4.
(edited 9 years ago)
Both fine men. I see no problem here.
prince charles is my favourite royal, he's a top man but i disagree with his views on Russia ......to some extent

Hitler annexed the Sudetenland to ostensibly protect the German speakers from oppression by a hostile government. Putin annexed the Ukraine to ostensibly protect the Russian speakers from oppression by a hostile government. And there are definitely parallels between the treatment of jews in nazi germany, and chechens under Putins de facto dictatorship.
Original post by Drewski
And that's when you're reading far too much into the statement.

He's comparing a single like-for-like incident. I could do the same but in a much more basic way; you're a breathing human being. So was Hitler. Ergo, you're like Hitler. Factually accurate in every detail.

That statement does not mean that I think, like Hitler, you'll lead a country to perpetrate genocide. It just means that I believe you have a single thing in common with another single person.

Like everyone else who got all flummoxed by this, you've taken 2+2 and decided the answer is elephant. The actual answer is 4.

And that's where Prince Charles with his loose mouth made a mistake. He obviously doesn't seem to understand that Hitler only represents genocides and atrocities to the popular minds. Not everyone has got a GCSE or A-level on the Third Reich.
And that's where Prince Charles with his loose mouth made a mistake. He obviously doesn't seem to understand that Hitler only represents genocides and atrocities to the popular minds. Not everyone has got a GCSE or A-level on the Third Reich.

It's not his problem that people are thick.

For the record, I have no history qualifications, I dropped the subject at yr 9. Yet I manage to be fully aware of the facts.
Original post by Drewski
It's not his problem that people are thick.

For the record, I have no history qualifications, I dropped the subject at yr 9. Yet I manage to be fully aware of the facts.

yes, if he intends to be the King of this country, then he has to be aware of this and mind what he says because we are his public and stage

Well, you are lucky. I only learned about Hitler at GCSE.
Original post by Green Marble
Prove it ?

were their any wmd's found? nope, did you bring democracy or more bloodshed? I think Its the latter, West is responsible or a million Iraqi deaths of which 500million were children, west bypassed UN, fake reports by that bitch to the UN (cant remember the cows name)
Reply 50
Original post by Drewski
He does speak out, but he does it to those who can actually do something about it, rather than just bleating in the papers.

You know. Like how things are supposed to work. Not being a media whore.

And that just shows how little you understood of that link (or that you perhaps didn't read it at all because it didn't help your argument). The story came out afterwards. His comments were made at the time.

Of course I didn't read it...far too many people post links here without mentioning what it's about. Why waste time on reading irrelevant articles?

I had a look at this link now and am in agreement with you. Would delete this thread if I knew how to
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by ThatPerson
Your other point was "Putin did not kill a single person in the Ukraine 'conflict', yet his own country killed thousands of innocent civilians in the Iraqi war", which is irrelevant. Additionally I don't know Charles' personal views on the Iraq War. Did he personally advocate it?

Again, him speaking on this issue but not Iraq is not hypocritical. Also, while we're talking about breaches of international law, I'm not sure that Putin's annexation of Crimea is legally justified either.

Who cares about the annexation of crimea. The human life is far more valuable
Original post by Ben_Dover
This is also a political issue and if he's willing to speak out now, he should have spoken out then.

The government appear to have shrugged their shoulders about the whole thing, and Ed Miliband has said he's got a point. I don't think he's said anything the government's not saying themselves.

Admittedly I did use the Queen and royal family interchangeably but the Queen has exercised her royal prerogative in the past

Sure she does, all the time. But only ever on the advice of the government. What's your problem?
Reply 53
Charles' great uncle was a well known Nazi sympathiser and I suspect there may have been others in the family that were too.
Of course I didn't read it...far too many people post links here without mentioning what it's about. Why waste time on reading irrelevant articles?

I had a look at this link now and am in agreement with you. Would delete this thread if I knew how to

You can report your first post and ask for it to be locked.
Original post by BasharAssad
lol you are worse than the British propaganda machine aka BBC

What, because someone is smarter than you your natural assumption is that they're lying?
It is totally unacceptable for the Prince of Wales to intervene in a matter of high policy in this manner, except and insofar as he is acting on the advice of ministers. The whole principle of constitutional monarchy requires the monarch (and the Prince of Wales, given he has been acting on his mother's behalf in many matters recently, and has been training to become monarch by receiving briefings) be non-partisan, non-political and non-controversial.

His mother would never have made such a comment, and that's a pretty good standard by which to judge whether the comment can be justified or not. The Prince and the monarch can never take a public position on such matters precisely because they are not democratically accountable and yet embody the British state. If you are defending such a comment, what you are really doing is calling for the abolition of constitutional monarchy.

And the claim that this was a private conversation doesn't cut it; it was a comment made in a public place to a member of the public, and accurately reported by the newspapers. Charles should know that any comments he makes, other than to his close friends, family and servants could end up in the papers. The monarch and heir are not supposed to be making HMG's job harder. Of course, this kind of thing has been an ongoing problem with Prince Charles, and it's legitimate to ask whether he will ever be able to live up to the very high standard set by his mother.
How is he able to compare Putin to Hitler when Putin did not kill a single person in the Ukraine 'conflict', yet his own country killed thousands of innocent civilians in the Iraqi war.

surely Tony Blair and George Bush are more akin to Hitler given that the invasion was illegal under international law?

You can't take Charles seriously. He is an imbecile.
Original post by MostUncivilised

Which I why I dearly hope he passes the crown to William when the time comes.
Original post by Architecture-er
What, because someone is smarter than you your natural assumption is that they're lying?

lol you said that not me.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending