The Student Room Group

Want to join the Paras

So as the title says, I want to join the parachute regiment. I really enjoy outdoors and fitness, I love playing football and being part of a team and I want to make a career out of serving my country by jumping out of Hercules (I know that doesn't happen too much anymore).

But I'm worried about what I would do after my 4 years of service as in what jobs I could do on civvy street, I'm very interested in Structural Engineering and have an HNC conditional. This is also an in demand skill to move to Australia, I love Australia and want to move there too. But I worry that by joining the parachute regiment I won't be able to fulfill my dream of moving to Australia because by the time I leave it will be too late to enjoy being in Australia. I'm 17 (Basically 18) and it takes 4 years to fulfill your initial enlistment, 4-5 years to get a MEng in Structural Engineering, plus you need about 4 years of work experience to get a decent job to support yourself, all of this added, accounts for 12-13 years of my life, so by the time I get there I will be 30-31, an age I feel I will not be able to enjoy Australia as much.

I mean, no offence intended to anyone that is 30 odd, but it's the part of your life when the vast majority are more interested in a family lifestyle and less interested in living a little (partying, activities etc...), but hey my attitude might change by the time I hit 30.

If anyone gets my dilemma and could offer advice I would be more than greatful. (Helpful constructive advice, not people telling me not to become a 'politicians instrument', give me a good reason not to join if you don't think I should)

Thanks, Ryan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FletchRFC18
So as the title says, I want to join the parachute regiment. I really enjoy outdoors and fitness, I love playing football and being part of a team and I want to make a career out of serving my country by jumping out of Hercules (I know that doesn't happen too much anymore).

But I'm worried about what I would do after my 4 years of service as in what jobs I could do on civvy street, I'm very interested in Structural Engineering and have an HNC conditional. This is also an in demand skill to move to Australia, I love Australia and want to move there too. But I worry that by joining the parachute regiment I won't be able to fulfill my dream of moving to Australia because by the time I leave it will be too late to enjoy being in Australia. I'm 17 (Basically 18) and it takes 4 years to fulfill your initial enlistment, 4-5 years to get a MEng in Structural Engineering, plus you need about 4 years of work experience to get a decent job to support yourself, all of this added, accounts for 12-13 years of my life, so by the time I get there I will be 30-31, an age I feel I will not be able to enjoy Australia as much.

I mean, no offence intended to anyone that is 30 odd, but it's the part of your life when the vast majority are more interested in a family lifestyle and less interested in living a little (partying, activities etc...), but hey my attitude might change by the time I hit 30.

If anyone gets my dilemma and could offer advice I would be more than greatful. (Helpful constructive advice, not people telling me not to become a 'politicians instrument', give me a good reason not to join if you don't think I should)

Thanks, Ryan.

Ever though about doing the MEng and joining 4 Para instead?

There are limited jobs in the civilian world that a Para can do, due to there being not many jobs around that require one to kill. However, the other skills you will learn will be transferable, such as discipline and leadership and will get you into less skilled jobs. However, they won't on their own get you to Australia and allow you to work in engineering, because as you know, you need a degree. If I were you, I would join 4 Para, rather than go regular. If you want to be a career soldier, then you will not be able to do the MEng whilst in service (other than the OU), and only be able to complete it when you leave. Which I think is not something you want to do, because you want to experience life to the full as a young man. :wink:

Go 4 Para.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by the mezzil
Ever though about doing the MEng and joining 4 Para instead?

There are limited jobs in the civilian world that a Para can do, due to there being not many jobs around that require one to kill. However, the other skills you will learn will be transferable, such as discipline and leadership and will get you into less skilled jobs. However, they won't on their own get you to Australia and allow you to work in engineering, because as you know, you need a degree. If I were you, I would join 4 Para, rather than go regular. If you want to be a career soldier, then you will not be able to do the MEng whilst in service (other than the OU), and only be able to complete it when you leave. Which I think is not something you want to do, because you want to experience life to the full as a young man. :wink:

Go 4 Para.

V.helpful, thanks alot and I'm glad you understood the question first time. I couldn't think of a way to word it cos it was such a specific question.

But thanks again! 😊
V.helpful, thanks alot and I'm glad you understood the question first time. I couldn't think of a way to word it cos it was such a specific question.

But thanks again!

No worries.

Always go to university if you have the chance. You have until the age of 34 to join the Para's, whereas to have the full uni experience (fitting in at halls, societies etc etc) you have from the ages roughly 18 - 22. University will benefit you in the long run, being ex Para will look good, but it is not an engineering degree. 4 Para would probably be your best option. You should also look up the UOTC if you don't get in 4 Para/ change your mind about 4 Para.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

I thought about this too because if you come a parachute engineer you can get a trade and what I've been hearing from my family in Aus, tradesmen are some of the highest paid. It seems Aus is a blue collar job country, all the labour jobs are highest paid.

Thanks for the advice!
I thought about this too because if you come a parachute engineer you can get a trade and what I've been hearing from my family in Aus, tradesmen are some of the highest paid. It seems Aus is a blue collar job country, all the labour jobs are highest paid.

Thanks for the advice!

Remember though that learning a trade in engineering sector and having a MEng is two different things. They both have pro's and con's, so research them both carefully.

There will come a time when you will either have to choose the Para's or Australia. If you have a MEng + relevant work experience, then realistically you will get the better job than the person who has done 8 years as an engineer in the Para's. Both will get a job, but who will get the better one? If money is your primary motivation, then the former is probably the better option. If you are doing it more so for the camaraderie and adrenaline thrills, the latter is probably more suited for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP, you do know you can spend longer than four years in the army? Or do you only plan to serve for the minimum amount of time?
Reply 8

Thanks, Ryan.

Most people are too impatient to become sappers atm. To get the trade you want, you could be in for a really long wait. On the other hand, getting into Catterick (especially with the Parachute Regiment) can be very swift. They even encourage you to call them direct and they try and smooth over any bumps on the way.

If you really do want to have a trade at the end - focus on that and don't let yourself get sidetracked. Doubtless the Army will tell you that you can try being an Assault Pioneer - don't believe them.
Ryan,

Before anything make sure you want to be a para 100%, no less. It is what's asked if you.

And as far as jumps, you've more chance of jumping out of a train door I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest