The Student Room Group

Can I use PEECEE paragraph in A level Classical Civilisation

Does it still count as points if I write three points to agree but when disagree I write the flaws/contrasts of the points I agreed with? Or do I have to write completely new points to disagree?

Like a peecee paragraph for a 30 marker WOTH
Reply 1
Original post by justhereiguess
Does it still count as points if I write three points to agree but when disagree I write the flaws/contrasts of the points I agreed with? Or do I have to write completely new points to disagree?

Like a peecee paragraph for a 30 marker WOTH

You absolutely don't need wholly new points, especially if there's a notable alternate interpretation/disagreement in your first paragraph, it shows good literacy to be considering how your arguments might be flawed, and demonstrates to the examiner that you can consider multiple perspectives.

Ideally, if you had all the time in the world, you can tack these contrasting points on the end of your initial paragraph, ad still have time for new points anyway, but there's a bit of a time crunch for WotH so don't feel bad if you can't fit it all in. In a 30 marker I would want an Absolute Minimum of 3 seperate points each, with two 'contrapoint' paragraphs to show a scope of understanding. The ideal 30 marker is 5 seperate points with alternate interpretations as part 2 on every paragaph but honestly that's just not possible within the time frame so it's a bit of a guessing game.
The biggest advice I could give would be to make sure you're not 'dismantling' your initial arguments in your alternative paragraph. For instance don't just say;
Para 1: Agamemnon repects Achilles a lot by the end of the book.
Para 2: On the other hand, Agamemnon doesn't respect him at all by the end of the book.

Try to frame it as
Para 1: It could be interpreted that Ag. respects Achilles by the end of the book because of X
Para 2: However, some others may consider X a sign of disrespect, and contrarily suggest that Ag. has even less repect than before.

You know? I think its mostly about framing your argument to be as objective as possible, but then you'll have no problem just using the same point twice from multiple perspectives.
Hope that helps - I'm currently cramming scholars into my short term memory in preparation for Tuesday lol. Good luck in the exam!
Reply 2
Hi, Thank you so much for the detailed reply, i just want to ask if it will be good for me to do this:

paragraph 1: X shows good leadership in this event (evidence and explanation)
In contrast, it could be said that X does not show good leadership in this event as ........

and I do this three times, agree and disagree about the same event. So basically three very big paragraphs.

Thank you so much for your help! Good luck for Tuesday! we can get through this !!
Reply 3
Original post by justhereiguess
Hi, Thank you so much for the detailed reply, i just want to ask if it will be good for me to do this:

paragraph 1: X shows good leadership in this event (evidence and explanation)
In contrast, it could be said that X does not show good leadership in this event as ........

and I do this three times, agree and disagree about the same event. So basically three very big paragraphs.

Thank you so much for your help! Good luck for Tuesday! we can get through this !!

I think you've got the right idea - there's nothing wrong with having those contrasting point paragraphs. I would caution that the mark scheme asks for a range of approproately picked evidence, so you don't want to be focusing wholly on only one event per paragraph/essay, only worried that this would not fulfil the range of evidence from other books.
The idea of having 3 big paragraphs consisting of two contrasting points each is totally valid though. Classics lends itself to prioritising a good essay rather than just hitting a paragraph/number of points expectation, so if you're writing well I'm sure you'll have no problem.
Just as I said, make sure you're drawing from multiple events (even as just a reference and not a total point) within those paragraphs to meet the quota of a range of evidence.

I'm manifesting the A* s for both of us! The sooner we can get Tuesday over and done with, the better!
Reply 4
That's very true, now that I'm looking at it, I don't think talking about the same point by agreeing and disagreeing with it, is considered to be using a range of evidence. So I think like you said three separate points for agreeing with a little bit at the end of the paragraph saying how the argument could be flawed and then two counter paragraphs.

Also, I totally agree with the fact that I just want Tuesday to be over and done with but I still haven't gone over the scholars, and I'm still writing essay plans for all the themes. Hoping it goes well for both of us!!

Original post by elahelm
I think you've got the right idea - there's nothing wrong with having those contrasting point paragraphs. I would caution that the mark scheme asks for a range of approproately picked evidence, so you don't want to be focusing wholly on only one event per paragraph/essay, only worried that this would not fulfil the range of evidence from other books.
The idea of having 3 big paragraphs consisting of two contrasting points each is totally valid though. Classics lends itself to prioritising a good essay rather than just hitting a paragraph/number of points expectation, so if you're writing well I'm sure you'll have no problem.
Just as I said, make sure you're drawing from multiple events (even as just a reference and not a total point) within those paragraphs to meet the quota of a range of evidence.

I'm manifesting the A* s for both of us! The sooner we can get Tuesday over and done with, the better!

Quick Reply

Latest