The Student Room Group

IB Mathematics SL or Math studies

Hi all,

i am currently studying the IB and had a question about should I drop Math SL and go Studies. This is because I can achieve a very high grade in Studies. However, I want to peruse a career in medicine so I want to know how that will affect my situation.

Thanks guys
Reply 1
In your position, I would reconsider dropping Math SL. First of all, I'd check the university that you're going to or applying to and see if they accept credit for Math Studies. As far as I know, universities prefer that students who go into science, medicine, or engineering take Math SL. I switched to Math Studies when I was in IB because I was struggling with Math SL, but if your only reason to drop it is because you have a better chance to get a higher grade in Studies, then yeah, I would rethink that decision.

Hope this helps!

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mohamed_Omar
Hi all,

i am currently studying the IB and had a question about should I drop Math SL and go Studies. This is because I can achieve a very high grade in Studies. However, I want to peruse a career in medicine so I want to know how that will affect my situation.

Thanks guys

You shouldn't drop to studies just because ''I can achieve a very high grade in studies''. That a very stupid reason just continue working hard in SL and i'm sure you'll do fine. Only drop down to studies if your really struggling with SL and believe it will drag your overall IB score down drastically.

Whether or not taking maths studies will impact your chances at being admitted to a medicine course highly depend upon which universities you intend on applying to. Top tier universities will look down upon at maths studies as it's a weaker subject and will make you less competitive.

I'd advise you to email all the universities you intend on applying to and ask them about whether they accept maths studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Wow!

Thanks for the feedback regarding my problem. I enjoy maths... in fact when I undertook my IGCSE's I scored an A*, math is one of my favourite subjects.

I thought that if I move to Studies it would have little effect on being accepting into university. I did try reaching out to universities but they seemed to direct me to their website which doesn't give me a clear overall view.

Giving the points that I have been sent to me I do intend on staying with Mathematics Standard Level.

Thanks a million guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending