The Student Room Group

IB HL AA or AI

My friend really wants to do specifically inorganic chemistry. She’s planning to take SL physics for IB and HL chem. People have been saying that physics is normally pared with AA maths but teachers have said it doesn’t really matter for chemistry and have advised taking HL AI. We need to make a decision by March. Any ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by MuZ_123
My friend really wants to do specifically inorganic chemistry. She’s planning to take SL physics for IB and HL chem. People have been saying that physics is normally pared with AA maths but teachers have said it doesn’t really matter for chemistry and have advised taking HL AI. We need to make a decision by March. Any ideas?

:yep:
Original post by MuZ_123

I'd strongly recommend checking the requirements of the unis they're planning to apply to. I know that many universities in the UK prefer Math AA HL for degrees related to science, but I'd still advise to check the specific requirements
Reply 3
Original post by idkwhatthenameis

I'd strongly recommend checking the requirements of the unis they're planning to apply to. I know that many universities in the UK prefer Math AA HL for degrees related to science, but I'd still advise to check the specific requirements

Thanks! I don’t think they really know yet though because we are having to decide this a year earlier than we thought. I definitely remind them to check though.
Reply 4
Original post by MuZ_123

From what I have seen, most of the universities when they want HL Math, they will say something like "For Mathematics, the programme will accept either 'Analysis and Approaches' or 'Applications and Interpretation' at higher level." Rarely will you see a university specifying HL AA but it does happen. So the best way is to check on the websites of the universities that your friend could be interested in applying to. I get that it is very early days, and it may be a daunting task to think about one's shortlist, but it is the most practical approach.

As your friend would have noted, HL Chem is a subject requirement to study Chemistry at university. The one other subject could come from HL Bio/Math/Physics.

Choose the HL subjects wisely because the total points for 3 HLs matter. Eg universities asking for total of 18 points, which can be derived from 765 (5 being the minimum requirement) or 666 (where 6 for HL Chem and another 6 from Math/Science which leaves you with at least another 6, or better 7). Of course a no-brainer if HLs are 776/777.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending