The Student Room Group

some questions

Hey everyone.

I'm a 17-year-old Scottish student, and recently received my Higher results (pretty good!). I'm thinking of going to London to study for a year, before moving on to who knows what/where. But there are certain things I'm unsure of.

First off, can I still go? I realize I've left this late, but I really want to try it out. I've been looking at "sixth form" colleges, which appears to be where I'd go to do A levels. Are these colleges still accepting applications to A Level courses?

I'm not looking to do a specific course, but a variety of A Level subjects. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure how the A Level system works, especially in relation to the Scottish Higher system. I've read that doing A levels takes 2 years, and that it is equivalent to the Scottish advanced higher course. But having spent a year doing Higher, is that not equivalent to a year of A Level study? If so, would I be able to skip a year? Also, what exactly is the difference between AS and A2?

Finally, if I am still able to go, are there any Sixth Form colleges in London you'd recommend?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
First off, can I still go? I realize I've left this late, but I really want to try it out. I've been looking at "sixth form" colleges, which appears to be where I'd go to do A levels. Are these colleges still accepting applications to A Level courses?

I assume so - you'll have to contact any that you're interested in directly in order to find out more about their application process. Usually if they have spare places and you have good grades then they'll accept you - it is not very common for colleges to now become 'over-subscribed'.

I've read that doing A levels takes 2 years, and that it is equivalent to the Scottish advanced higher course. But having spent a year doing Higher, is that not equivalent to a year of A Level study?

It depends how the Scottish system works and it is this I'm not sure on. AS level - the first year of the A-Level is a qualification in its own right - ie you can do the first year of an A-Level and have a grade which is acceptable to universities and employers. I am not sure if it works the same way with Highers or whether you need to do another year of a Higher course in order to get anything. I would say it is the same as one year of A-Level study.

If so, would I be able to skip a year?

I think this is unlikely, but you would have to speak to colleges to find out more. The content of an A-Level compared to a Higher mgiht be different, so although a Higher in an official recognised qualification, as the content is different, this might cause problems when doing an A2 level exam in the subject because you will have been taught ifferent things, so therefore might not have the required skills.

Also, what exactly is the difference between AS and A2?

Basically, A-Level is in two parts. The first year is AS - most people study for four or five subjects, usually taken at the end of the year. AS is an official qualification on its own - ie you get a qualification after the first year. A2 is Year 2 of the A-Level. To do this, you will usually have to have done the AS. AS+ A2 each contribute 50% to the overall assessment - so 50% of your A2 grade will depend on your AS performance. After studying AS + A2, you will receieve an 'A-Level'. A2 is the slightly more demanding aspect of the course - at least in theory. AS - Advanced Subsidary. You can decide to discontinue with a subject after AS and still have a qualification. Some people drop a subject aftyer AS. Most unviersities require 3 A-Levels (or equivelent such as Applied GCEs - the new name for a 'vocational' A-Level) for most offers.
Most college take applications until just before the term starts in September. However you willl need to hurry, there is only a couple of weeks left and some/alot of people do wait until they see there results before applying.
Reply 3
Perhaps look at each college's prospectus which you can request through the post or online if they have a website. You could also view Ofsted reports and get feedback from any of their current students on the colleges strengths/ weakneeses.

Latest

Trending

Trending