The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
It's not being hypothetical when you look at Diego Costa's injury record. Hamstring injuries are niggles that can keep on coming back, look at Costa's final month at Atlético Madrid and understand why it's more serious than people think. Even if it's a mind game.

City have plugged the gaps in their squad, added requisite depth and should be getting 90 points with the squad they have, their problems was the lack of a DM, they bought Fernando and the lack of a CB to partner Kompany (Mangala). They're sorted, while we have clear issues in our squad depth. Our first 11 is as good as anyone's in the PL but attacking wise we are very reliant on Costa.

We will not use a youth player, More likely to see Schurrle as the striker tbh. Or we will get Destro.

Hazard? Schurrle? We have many attacking outlets that will get us the goals. Our midfielders scored the most goals for us last season, that shouldn't change one bit this season. Before the season, most Chelsea fans were happy with Costa scoring 15 league goals for us, now he's suddenly our only attacking outlet? What is this I'm hearing?

As for Man City, they are also heavily reliant on Kompany or Toure staying fit. Kompany gets injured quite a bit, and Toure will leave for the African Cup of Nations in January. They don't panic, we shouldn't either.

You have very little belief in our squad...as for Salah, he's weak, but he scored a few goals at the end of the season. He can always score more.
Original post by jam278
Have you watched Willian for the past season? He is essentially a dribbler version of Ramires. He is **** and you'd wonder why Liverpool and Spurs went for him and not the likes of City, who got Navas instead?

Salah does the exact same job Victor Moses did a year before. Salah lacks composure, he just runs into space and without any space he is useless.

Look at City's subs, there is a clear disparity in quality to City's attacking bench and Chelsea's attacking bench. Jovetic, Negredo vs Drogba and Torres. No contest as to who is better there. City if they gain any form of consistency have the title unless we can get a top right winger or a good striker backup. If only Di Maria costed less.

first XIs don't win titles, squads do.

Have you even kept up with his last interview? Did you even watch the second half of the game against Leicester? He knows where he's lacking...he admitted it himself that he needs to score more goals, and I believe he will. Ramires and Willian are very different players, Willian has much better control, but he takes too many touches like Oscar.

Salah isn't world-class, but Navas isn't either. Salah is better than Moses, no question.

As for the strikers, who gives a ****? We play with one striker every week, whereas they play with two. They have four top strikers that they need to keep happy, they won't be able to do that over time. If we need a striker by January, we'll get one anyways.
Original post by AnharM
Hazard? Schurrle? We have many attacking outlets that will get us the goals. Our midfielders scored the most goals for us last season, that shouldn't change one bit this season. Before the season, most Chelsea fans were happy with Costa scoring 15 league goals for us, now he's suddenly our only attacking outlet? What is this I'm hearing?

I never said he's our only attacking outlet? :facepalm2:

I said that we are reliant on him attacking wise. Our midfield scores goals but we saw what happened last season when we relied solely on our midfield and CBs to score goals. Teams just sat back, knowing that we'd have to push up and they'd score a goal from the counter attack from Ivanovic's side(see palace and Villa games away)

As for Man City, they are also heavily reliant on Kompany or Toure staying fit. Kompany gets injured quite a bit, and Toure will leave for the African Cup of Nations in January. They don't panic, we shouldn't either.

They've just bought a CB for 30M who's very highly rated and bought Fernando, so they can push Fernandinho further up, who is a box to box midfielder by trade.

You have very little belief in our squad...as for Salah, he's weak, but he scored a few goals at the end of the season. He can always score more.

I have belief in the squad, just not belief in the squad to win the title. We can win CL though tbh. But not the title as it involves too much consistency, which we cannot do without a squad.

Salah well he's useful, but we shouldn't be getting useful players, we should be getting quality players as depth. It's what Bayern, Man City, Barca and Madrid have. We don't have that.
Original post by AnharM
Have you even kept up with his last interview? Did you even watch the second half of the game against Leicester? He knows where he's lacking...he admitted it himself that he needs to score more goals, and I believe he will. Ramires and Willian are very different players, Willian has much better control, but he takes too many touches like Oscar.

Are you reading my posts or just saying things?

Willian saying he needs to score more goals is like telling a fire truck that it is red. It is stating the ****ing obvious. It's like Torres saying he'll do better and score more goals. It's great to say, but it's not going to happen. Look at Willian's record at Shaktar and Anzhi, it's pathetic for a attacking midfielder and he ****s up our attack every single time.

Salah isn't world-class, but Navas isn't either. Salah is better than Moses, no question.

Stat's wise, Moses did very well for us as a rotation option in the 2012/13 season. Navas isn't world class but he is a hell of a lot better than who we have at backup(Schurrle is a starter).

Salah has done nothing to show that he is better than Moses and it's looking like he's just there to fill Kalou's role of Bench man.
As for the strikers, who gives a ****? We play with one striker every week, whereas they play with two. They have four top strikers that they need to keep happy, they won't be able to do that over time. If we need a striker by January, we'll get one anyways.

Loool this is so funny. So where was the striker last january or buy another striker, yet you think that Mourinho is going to buy a striker in January. This is gold.

No top team tries to win things without two quality strikers, unless their midfield/wingers is ridiculous in scoring goals(i.e. Madrid with Bale and Ronaldo).
Original post by jam278

Loool this is so funny. So where was the striker last january or buy another striker, yet you think that Mourinho is going to buy a striker in January. This is gold.

No top team tries to win things without two quality strikers, unless their midfield/wingers is ridiculous in scoring goals(i.e. Madrid with Bale and Ronaldo).

Knowing you...when Chelsea win the league, you'll be like ''yeah I knew Chelsea will win the league, Mourinho is just a boss at this'' :facepalm:

Every player can change form as well...there is a chance, however unlikely it is, that players like Salah and Torres can come off the bench and score us vital goals.
Original post by AnharM
Knowing you...when Chelsea win the league, you'll be like ''yeah I knew Chelsea will win the league, Mourinho is just a boss at this'' :facepalm:

Every player can change form as well...there is a chance, however unlikely it is, that players like Salah and Torres can come off the bench and score us vital goals.

Would say it was a great achievement like it is. Why the need for Ad hom? I said that we didn't buy a striker.

So can I become a professional footballer then if we're putting unlikely situations? Torres is terrible as a sub, think 3 years of watching him would make people realise. Salah I can understand his role but there was no need for him when Moses does the same thing and is homegrown?
I feel stupid but what is homegrown, isnt it a player that played for the teams academy? Because someone said Welbecks homegrown but he never played for Chelseas academy?...
Original post by SofianChaibi
I feel stupid but what is homegrown, isnt it a player that played for the teams academy? Because someone said Welbecks homegrown but he never played for Chelseas academy?...

Somebody who has played in england for 3 years between the ages of 15-21.

Lukaku, Bertrand and Fabregas are homegrown e.g.
Original post by jam278
Would say it was a great achievement like it is. Why the need for Ad hom? I said that we didn't buy a striker.

So can I become a professional footballer then if we're putting unlikely situations? Torres is terrible as a sub, think 3 years of watching him would make people realise. Salah I can understand his role but there was no need for him when Moses does the same thing and is homegrown?

What's ''Ad hom''??? I'm just stating it how it is, you basically said Man City will walk it this season, and if Chelsea win the title, you'll claim that you knew all along Chelsea would win it.

Can Moses do what Salah did in the Champions League many times? Salah's finishing is normally top notch...a Fabregas pass will easily seek him out.
Original post by AnharM
What's ''Ad hom''??? I'm just stating it how it is, you basically said Man City will walk it this season, and if Chelsea win the title, you'll claim that you knew all along Chelsea would win it.

Ad hom is the use of irrelevant issues to an argument in order to destroy the validity of a person's post. E.g. me talking about how Mourinho failed to buy a striker in the Jan window and why he's likely to fail doing that again like he did the previous season when it was clear we needed one and then replying to that argument by saying I'm a troll(bit in bold that you're implying)

Can Moses do what Salah did in the Champions League many times? Salah's finishing is normally top notch...a Fabregas pass will easily seek him out.

Not really. If we win it over City I'd say it was a great achievement. This is going circular. I said already that I think we can win CL, but not the league, so to say that I'm just doing this as a troll is ridiculous, considering I'm rating Chelsea's chances to win a perceivably harder competition than the PL.

Salah did nothing against us in europa league and he only played well in two games against us. I can point to Moses' finish against Rubin Kazan if you want.

Many games in CL point is nonsensical as he only played great in 2 games. Where was he in the games vs Schalke then if he's been doing it in many CL ties. Why did Basel play europa league football that year? Salah just utilised space that we gave him. It was clear what kind of player we bought.
(edited 9 years ago)
The question is can Salah hack it on a cold, rainy Tuesday night at the Brittania??
For a formation of 4-2-3-1 that Jose plays, having 4 strikers is ludicrous. 3 is more than enough. At Real Madrid (2012-2013, season) they had Benzema, Huginiun and Morata. They did have Jese and Ronaldo but they are more wingers that cut inside (Hazard and Schurrle).

Jose will only buy a striker if Torres leaves, if he doesn't he can't justify spending an extra 20 million on a striker to become a bench warmer.

In comparison to City who have Jovetic, Dzeko, Aguero and Negredo. They usually play a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 where Aguero acts as the CAM pushing higher up (when fit). The two managers have different strategies and tactics thus comparing the attacking options of city to that of Chelsea won’t give you a fair assessment.

Jose is reliant on his midfield and that is why (I would say) we have the best midfield in the league. I'd even say Arsenals midfield is better than that of city!

Wait till the end of the window before panicking.
Reply 1993
Original post by SofianChaibi
The question is can Salah hack it on a cold, rainy Tuesday night at the Brittania??

That is the question you ask of every new signing coming into the premier league :moon:
Original post by Stevelee
For a formation of 4-2-3-1 that Jose plays, having 4 strikers is ludicrous. 3 is more than enough. At Real Madrid (2012-2013, season) they had Benzema, Huginiun and Morata. They did have Jese and Ronaldo but they are more wingers that cut inside (Hazard and Schurrle).

Jose will only buy a striker if Torres leaves, if he doesn't he can't justify spending an extra 20 million on a striker to become a bench warmer.

In comparison to City who have Jovetic, Dzeko, Aguero and Negredo. They usually play a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 where Aguero acts as the CAM pushing higher up (when fit). The two managers have different strategies and tactics thus comparing the attacking options of city to that of Chelsea won’t give you a fair assessment.

Jose is reliant on his midfield and that is why (I would say) we have the best midfield in the league. I'd even say Arsenals midfield is better than that of city!

Wait till the end of the window before panicking.

But the thing is that Real have a player who essentially scores 50 goals+ every season and doesn't play up front, Bale as well can get 30 goals a season. Plus Benzema, Higuain and Jese craps on our strikeforce.

City have 4 options that are reliable. Chelsea have one reliable option which is what I'm trying to say. If he gets injured then we're screwed, which is what I'm trying to say. City don't play 4-4-2 much anyway, they normally play 4-4-1-1 and push Toure forward or Silva as a CAM, which is what they did when Aguero and Jovetic were out last year.

What world class team has only one reliable option up front? Before anybody says Real Madrid, they have Ronaldo and Bale who have played there and get a ridiculous amount of goals, plus Jese will come back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
But the thing is that Real have a player who essentially scores 50 goals+ every season and doesn't play up front, Bale as well can get 30 goals a season. Plus Benzema, Higuain and Jese craps on our strikeforce.

City have 4 options that are reliable. Chelsea have one reliable option which is what I'm trying to say. If he gets injured then we're screwed, which is what I'm trying to say. City don't play 4-4-2 much anyway, they normally play 4-4-1-1 and push Toure forward or Silva as a CAM, which is what they did when Aguero and Jovetic were out last year.

What world class team has only one reliable option up front? Before anybody says Real Madrid, they have Ronaldo and Bale who have played there and get a ridiculous amount of goals, plus Jese will come back.

City have to play 2 upfront- they have 4 strikers. We play 1 up top, so 2 will be fine.
Not sure about Destro- he has a good goals per minute ratio, but he doesn't take players on much, and he doesn't get many assists. Poacher-ish
Are you adam?
Are you adam?
Are you adam in disguise?
Are you Cleveradam in disguise?
Original post by 9MmBulletz
City have to play 2 upfront- they have 4 strikers. We play 1 up top, so 2 will be fine.
Not sure about Destro- he has a good goals per minute ratio, but he doesn't take players on much, and he doesn't get many assists. Poacher-ish

We need more than one option. Destro can be used when we're losing and we're playing two up top. He's not that slow either. Got decent pace. The best type of squad is when we have other options. We have a striker who is a target man in Drogba, a complete forward in Costa and a poacher in Destro. It allows for tactical variations, City found out(against us) that having the same strikers can lead to teams sussing you out(etihad).

Spoiler

This is from Ba. I guess he wanted to go. Tbh backup strikers(bar being at City as they rotate a lot) generally leave after a few seasons. Mandzukic left e.g. because he was going to be backup for Lewa and Gomez left as he was backup.
Original post by Nichrome
Are you adam?
Are you adam?
Are you adam in disguise?
Are you Cleveradam in disguise?

No offence, but Cleveradam got our season spot on. We were scraping results to the ****test of teams and getting lucky jammy wins(bar the fodder games like Arsenal and United at the bridge). We did well in the CL though. Which is why I think we will win it this season.

I just don't see how anybody can think Drogba and Torres as striker backups is suitable to win the title with. Bayern always had one quality backup. City have 1 player for each position.

We have improved in chance creation with Fabregas and have a good striker now.
Original post by jam278
But the thing is that Real have a player who essentially scores 50 goals+ every season and doesn't play up front, Bale as well can get 30 goals a season. Plus Benzema, Higuain and Jese craps on our strike force

Looks like Real are getting Falcao anyway

Latest