The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Courtois was fantastic tonight. Claiming corners/crosses everywhere, Stoke couldn't get a sniff from set pieces.
Original post by The Assassin
he's on loan for stoke so cant play against us :tongue:

I stand corrected.
But nah I just like Mikel, and Oscar for that matter.
Reply 4242
Tbf I've always had a soft spot for Mikel. He was actually really good for us playing deep midfield once upon a time..for a limited period. I still think he's a useful player. I just don't like the way he's used (to come on and kill a game, which usually backfires). For the right game/occasion he's a straight up G. More importantly, he's got to be amongst our longest serving players now, and he never complains about being dropped or rested. Just keeps on plugging away.
m8 this guy says 'give the title to city already' every single time he sees a lineup he doesn't like then he comes up with that. Guy is mad.

edit: or every we time we dont win ffs

Still a more valid reason than you saying it after winning away against a team who beat your main rivals at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Still a more valid reason than you saying it after winning away against a team who beat your main rivals at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

dbi srs

and i was mentioning the high difficulty of the fixtures right at the end relative to city's ones, which could quite easily be the deciding factor. The stoke game doesn't come into this (esp. when it's only 3 points ahead).
(edited 9 years ago)
Mikel isn't too bad that he's not good enough for the current role in the squad we use him for though. It's similar to Martinez vs Gustavo at Bayern Martinez knew how to play as well as defend while Gustavo only knew how to defend.

Matic knows how to play the ball and is more energetic than Mikel. We don't get overrun by City like we used to at the Etihad even when we park the bus they struggle to get in behind us. The FA cup semi final was exemplary of this watching Toure run through our whole midfield like it was butter it would never happen today because we have Matic there and Willian will track back while Hazard tracks back better now too.

I still wish we were more dominant against teams but we are a winning machine atm. Don't think we have enough attacking quality to really hurt every team with dominant football which is why Mourinho ain't playing the most attacking of football but it could still be better if Mourinho changed about the system, it works what he's using now though.
(edited 9 years ago)
dbi srs

and i was mentioning the high difficulty of the fixtures right at the end relative to city's ones, which could quite easily be the deciding factor. The stoke game doesn't come into this (esp. when it's only 3 points ahead).

Well you must've been downplaying your side without good cause considering Jose beat last seasons top 2 home and away and got a draw at the Emirates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and? That was ridiculous run of results. It's unlikely we'll get as good run this time round, especially with potential issues of squad depth/rotation with the fixtures right at the end of the season. They're still going to be very hard fixtures nonetheless compared to city's last 6.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only good news for us is that City have a lot of tough fixtures away from home second half of the season.

This will mean that we could get a good lead on them before that run up and our fixtures are at home so we'll stay unbeaten in those big games.
Funny thing is the only ones talking up Chelsea's title chances are other fans and the media. Then we're the ones who get the stick when it all goes tits up :rolleyes:

Media already talking about quadruple ffs
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes and? That was ridiculous run of results. It's unlikely we'll get as good run this time round, especially with potential issues of squad depth/rotation with the fixtures right at the end of the season. They're still going to be very hard fixtures nonetheless compared to city's last 6.

Disagree. Playing any "lower-table" club in the last 6 games is extremely difficult, likelihood is they'll be scrapping for their lives and it's not easy to beat them, look at Sunderland last year and also Norwich (Liverpool struggled as well).

Jose has a consistent record against top teams so don't get why it's so difficult to comprehend. Should've won at Eithad tbh, you will at SB most likely. Either way the points you gain in the games against lower teams that you dropped last year will more than make up for the points you may lose in comparison to performance against top teams from last season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need to ignore what City are doing and just keep on plugging away with our own results, prefarbly winning as much as we can. Not too concerned by United anymore tbh, 10 points is a huge margin to make up, letalone on a team who have dropped only 9 all season, and even that depends on them not dropping anymore.

Think we could perhaps do the LC/PL/CL at a stretch. Think the domestic treble could be on if we were to lose to PSG, must have been a long time since an English team did that.

Think the traditional treble is nigh on impossible for a British to win. What with how competitive the league is now, the Champions League prize money/stature etc and the fixture congestion with all three competitions coming to a head in such a short space of time. Could easily be in a Champions League semi final, FA Cup Final and top of the league one week and out of all of them the next week.

If we hadn't been dicked over by a Liverpool supporting ref against Sunderland then mathematically we would have won the League, as it was we went from 1st to 3rd and crumbled to Atletico in little over 45 minutes. Fine margins tbh.
[QUOTE="IceJJFish(II);52405889"]Disagree. Playing any "lower-table" club in the last 6 games is extremely difficult, likelihood is they'll be scrapping for their lives and it's not easy to beat them, look at Sunderland last year and also Norwich (Liverpool struggled as well).

Jose has a consistent record against top teams so don't get why it's so difficult to comprehend. Should've won at Eithad tbh, you will at SB most likely. Either way the points you gain in the games against lower teams that you dropped last year will more than make up for the points you may lose in comparison to performance against top teams from last season.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Should've won in the sense that there wasn't much longer to go, but on the performance overall City were better. We were fortunate to get something out of that.

Well that's true, but it's also likely United/Arsenal/Liverpool who will be fighting very hard to secure the spots in the top 4 as well. I'd think overall City would have more ease with handling QPR or Villa at home than we would Arsenal away e.g. They're good with dealing with these sides.

Like I said, it's right at the end of the season where we haven't been rotating efficiently and that could eventually come up there -- especially with those games being so closed to each other. City would handle their squad better so would be able to handle something like this better.

Man United will end Chelsea's unbeaten streak at home.

Could be totally wrong though and end up thrashing all 3 (Mou pls)
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah once it's 10 points you're in an unrecoverable position to win the title most seasons personally. Even if they caught up we would just beat them at the bridge and we extend the gap. They're irrelevant.
Original post by jam277
Yeah once it's 10 points you're in an unrecoverable position to win the title most seasons personally. Even if they caught up we would just beat them at the bridge and we extend the gap. They're irrelevant.

Yeah we won't catch up tbh. You've dropped 9 points in this half of season so far, we need to make up 10 on you and then win countless games ourself. Guessing it would require you dropping 25 points for us to win the title tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should've won in the sense that there wasn't much longer to go, but on the performance overall City were better. We were fortunate to get something out of that.

Well that's true, but it's also likely United/Arsenal/Liverpool who will be fighting very hard to secure the spots in the top 4 as well. I'd think overall City would have more ease with handling QPR or Villa at home than we would Arsenal away e.g. They're good with dealing with these sides.

Like I said, it's right at the end of the season where we haven't been rotating efficiently and that could eventually come up there -- especially with those games being so closed to each other. City would handle their squad better so would be able to handle something like this better.

Man United will end Chelsea's unbeaten streak at home.

Could be totally wrong though and end up thrashing all 3 (Mou pls)

Yeah I guess so. You'll probably be in a F.A cup semi around then and probably a C.L semi. Depends how you go though, you don't even need your top players to do a job on top teams though, **** me Jose stopped Liverpool at Anfield from scoring with a second string team the guys a genius.

Posted from TSR Mobile
man city on the other hand have a much easier end, which will ultimately make them win the title.

Our fixtures at the end of last season, apart from the game away to Liverpool, were seen as ''easy fixtures'' that we really should have won. We lost points in games like West Ham at home, Aston Villa away and Sunderland at home...the reality is that it's easier to play against teams who are in the top 12 at the end of the season, than the teams who are at the bottom 5/6, because the teams at the bottom are fighting for survival, so they'll give a 100%.
That makes no sense because Liverpool United and Arsenal will be fighting for top 4 and we struggled with the teams that were lower midtable the actual relegation candidates we beat them home and away.

Newcastle, Palace, Stoke, West Ham, Villa and Sunderland were between 9-15 last season. At the time the relegation battle is usually very deep with about 10 teams involved so it's lazy to just use that excuse. Matter of fact is that Chelsea bottled it and suffered from fatigue being in the CL and the PL at the same time. Liverpool had no europe and City only were playing domestic football in the final 2 months, add to that City's squad are stronger than Chelsea's and were much stronger last season. That's why Chelsea came 3rd.

So Mourinho should learn from this and rotate the squad better, he makes up for it by playing conservative football whenever his team is 2-0 up so the players take a breather and we have better players now but will it be enough I don't think so.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
That makes no sense because Liverpool United and Arsenal will be fighting for top 4 and we struggled with the teams that were lower midtable the actual relegation candidates we beat them home and away.

Newcastle, Palace, Stoke, West Ham, Villa and Sunderland were between 9-15 last season. At the time the relegation battle is usually very deep with about 10 teams involved so it's lazy to just use that excuse. Matter of fact is that Chelsea bottled it and suffered from fatigue being in the CL and the PL at the same time. Liverpool had no europe and City only were playing domestic football in the final 2 months, add to that City's squad are stronger than Chelsea's and were much stronger last season. That's why Chelsea came 3rd.

So Mourinho should learn from this and rotate the squad better, he makes up for it by playing conservative football whenever his team is 2-0 up so the players take a breather and we have better players now but will it be enough I don't think so.

If we're top by New Year, we should be able to see it through. City are more likely to drop points after this period, as they are yet to go to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield, White Hart Lane and Goodison Park.

Except Arsenal, we are playing most of our rival teams at home.

Not that anything is guaranteed, but Chelsea at home are better than Man City away from home
Terry Christmas.

Can't believe his stats are better this season than back in 04/05.

Latest