The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Such a waste of money...
If we're paying 180k for Falcao we should make the fee 1M tops.
Isn't Hazard on £175k? It's an absolute joke if Falcrap gets paid more than him.
180k is a piss take, for all our talk of not wanting to disrupt our wage structure with a signing like Shaw it's disappointing to see a player coming in off the back of such a terrible season become one of our highest earners. Hope the figure is closer to the initially reported 130k, should have just said 100k or **** off, and even that's extremely generous. We're definitely doing this for favours with Mendes though, hopefully that comes to fruition sooner rather than later.

Having said that, I don't actually think loaning Falcao is that bad of a move. Solves our need for a third choice striker with the remote possibility of him actually doing pretty well for us, which you don't really have with a player like Drogba or Lambert e.g. who we were linked with a month or so ago. Your options are always going to be slim when looking for a third choice striker, someone like Austin would be decent but it's unlikely he'll want to join us as third choice, plus we'd end up forking out 10m+ and 70k+ on wages anyway. Bamford would be much better served on loan at a PL club than on our bench for the time being and Solanke is only 17. Griezmann would be ideal but is unrealistic.

Falcao will be a decent enough stop-gap that can easily be binned, if a 37-year old Drogba can grab us 7 goals in all comps Falcao can too. Thought he looked somewhat dangerous when he first joined United but his partnership with RVP didn't work, United's attacking play was atrocious and before long just lost all confidence. Similar situation at the Copa America, Colombia's attacking play from the midfield was absolutely dire which is a far from ideal situation for a striker low on confidence. They scored one goal in the entire competition which was from a CB ffs. He'll get much better service with us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would rather keep Costa, Remy and Bamford as a third-choice and come in when games are settled/cup games etc.

Really think he needs a PL loan this year so he doesn't fall into the loan abyss that so many of our youth players have, Lewis Baker needs to really impress as well for that matter.
Original post by The Shed End
Would rather keep Costa, Remy and Bamford as a third-choice and come in when games are settled/cup games etc.
Really think he needs a PL loan this year so he doesn't fall into the loan abyss that so many of our youth players have, Lewis Baker needs to really impress as well for that matter.

Baker's gone to Vitesse i.e. he's not making it
Lets be clear Bamford is falling into the loan abyss.
Baker ain't making it either. He's 20, getting put into the loan system at Vitesse. He's done for. Just loan him out and sell for profit.
I may have hopes for Solanke according to reports here and his goalscoring record.

I can see Bamford making it in the PL I guess but not at Chelsea, he'd probably reach a Soton/everton type club.

Original post by TH3-FL45H
Baker's gone to Vitesse i.e. he's not making it
Yeah this.
If Bamford wasn't injured for the last 3/4 games of the season he'd deffo be Chelsea's 3rd striker this season. Injuries got to him right at the wrong time in Boro's season just after he was named POTY, carrying on his form and them automatically promoted would have impressed Jose more.
No. Remy and Costa are first choice strikers.

Mourinho is doing a favour for his agent in signing Falcao, in the hope we get more of Mendes' players. Man United bought Bebe for the exact same reason why we're in for Falcao, while I'm pretty sure Mendes is influencing De Gea's contract situation partially because of the Falcao situation at United.

Actually I fear for Remy's place as 2nd choice striker. Falcao will probably be played as first choice backup for Costa unless he's terrible.
(edited 8 years ago)
What players does Mendes have to offer though? only worldclass one I know he has is Ronaldo, who a. we probably can't afford, and b. probably wouldn't work with Jose again, and c. don't need as long as we have Hazard
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/3BVIDvfs2tDSxNyoqz4RqA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTM3NztpbD1wbGFuZTtweG9mZj01MDtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02NzA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_GB/Sports/Eurosport/1626478-34527351-2560-1440.jpg

Petr's seems like a classy bloke, welcome to the Arsenal. He loves it. Petr and Arsene are playing chess in Highgate as we speak.

Jose is playing snap with JT
What players does Mendes have to offer though? only worldclass one I know he has is Ronaldo, who a. we probably can't afford, and b. probably wouldn't work with Jose again, and c. don't need as long as we have Hazard

I think he has a long list of talented players. As much about playing a long game. Do you want to miss the next big thing because you've pissed off Mendes?
Jose's own agent is Mendes, so I don't think theres much chance of that
Original post by jam277
No. Remy and Costa are first choice strikers.

Mourinho is doing a favour for his agent in signing Falcao, in the hope we get more of Mendes' players. Man United bought Bebe for the exact same reason why we're in for Falcao, while I'm pretty sure Mendes is influencing De Gea's contract situation partially because of the Falcao situation at United.

Actually I fear for Remy's place as 2nd choice striker. Falcao will probably be played as first choice backup for Costa unless he's terrible.

Yeah, Remy leaving in search of more playing time is my biggest concern. To have Falcao as backup over Remy would be a huge step backwards.
Original post by Dirtybit

You up for a spanking on FIFA then?
Original post by jam277
You up for a spanking on FIFA then?

You still on?
Falcao confirmed. Let's hope his new haircut does more for him than Torres' lesbian cut.
#salty

Getting 50 million for Torres would have been the deal of the century if you hadn't immediately spunked nearly 3/4s of it on a lanky geordie.
#salty

Getting 50 million for Torres would have been the deal of the century if you hadn't immediately spunked nearly 3/4s of it on a lanky geordie.

That deal has actually had ramifications beyond the Dalglish reign, too. You often hear FSG mention that who we DON'T sign is as important as who we do sign these days, which may go some way to explaining why so many of our proposed deals and targets fall through in the latter stages.

Latest