The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Anyway. How you think today is gonna go?

Slightly worried but sounds like our preseason friendlies have been going ok so far. Think it'll be cagey at the start but turn into a goal fest later on. Think we can do what we did at the bridge earlier on but they're wisened up to our tactics considering the way they play in big games now.

Main thing is basically stopping the influence of Sanchez, Ramsey and Ozil. We'll drop deep for long periods which basically makes Walcott up top useless, Giroud in the air isn't a problem with our height in defence. Arsenal aren't really the greatest with their width so they have to get their fullbacks high up the pitch on the attack which plays to our advantage on the counter. We're great at keeping tight in the middle and Matic most likely will cover Ivanovic when needed.

Really I'd just play the same team as last season, only option is Ramires or Oscar depending on how defensive we want to be. I'd play Oscar as Fabregas can play deeper there, which obviously plays to our advantage as he's the most useful at controlling our play in those positions as Hazard works best for the team higher up the pitch. Plus Oscar's a better possession retainer. Just means we can just shut up shop afterwards.a

Wonder if Mourinho will try similar tactics to what he did at Real when Terry retires and we try to play a higher line?

Sanchez isn't playing. Honestly don't see Arsenal winning this, will probably be 1-1 and go to pens
Bubzeh is autistic
If Willian actually had a final ball or a finish, he'd be a monster of a player.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rent boys. Sit down.
Serious doubt in the scientific community if Ramirez possesses a functioning prosencephalon.
Arsenal 1-0. Good stuff.
Ngl that was a good goal by ox. However, we still going to get back! Got top seat at Wembley. #ktbffh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats the score chelsea lads
Love seeing Jose lose. Love it Keegan style.

Wenger - A man of class.

Jose - Lol.
"Mourinho will definitely make signings, it's only 1 week into the window" - Chelsea fans said LOL.

If someone in front of you falls in a pit, you sure would walk around it.
Pellegrini didn't improve his squad and we all know what happened, Costa out is like City without Aguero - toothless.
Reply 8211
Meh, not too fussed about the result.
Fair play to Arsenal, they were better. We were lethargic and suffered from the same problems as the second half of last season.

In reality the team are not match fit and we could do with a bit of energy. Mou probably chose the wrong setup today in starting Ramires over Oscar and it's clear that there is not enough depth.

Getting John Stones this window+ an LB, while getting an attacking player and we'll be fine. Don't think either team played particularly well today, I guess you can credit Arsenals defensive performance but Chelsea's slow play contributed to that.
Original post by Windies
"Mourinho will definitely make signings, it's only 1 week into the window" - Chelsea fans said LOL.

If someone in front of you falls in a pit, you sure would walk around it.
Pellegrini didn't improve his squad and we all know what happened, Costa out is like City without Aguero - toothless.

Yeah we definitely need signings. Could do with a defender or two and could do with an attacker in a faster setup.
Think a draw would have been a fair result tbh, Hazard and Ramires should have scored easily.
Remy was pretty poor though, doesnt make very intelligent runs. And Falcao looks like Torres.
Without Costa youve got Hazard back under pressure to be the source of all creation and its not all that hard to focus on him because of that. Can afford 2 men on him usually.
Willian was good though, thought he was your most effective attacker. What you really miss at times is overlapping runs from the wing backs though imo. Bit congested in the middle when Oscar, Cesc are both playing

Looked a bit off the pace and unfit generally so not reading all that much into it, unless Costa is injured longer term in which case you might be in trouble.
I'm pretty concerned for us...but then again all the other teams in the top 4 are also struggling.
With pressure mounting on pellegrini and rumors of him leaving it could distract the players.
We aren't in the best form, United they're looking good but their defence is horrible the only club i'm scared about is Arsenal right now...
Imagine arsenal winning the league.
Original post by jam277
Fair play to Arsenal, they were better. We were lethargic and suffered from the same problems as the second half of last season.

In reality the team are not match fit and we could do with a bit of energy. Mou probably chose the wrong setup today in starting Ramires over Oscar and it's clear that there is not enough depth.

Getting John Stones this window+ an LB, while getting an attacking player and we'll be fine. Don't think either team played particularly well today, I guess you can credit Arsenals defensive performance but Chelsea's slow play contributed to that.
Its pretty worrying at this stage isn't it? Haven't seen your pre-season but kicks off next week, and your team looks like its filled with legs that already have miles on them. Got to be a worry for a guy like Jose who doesn't like to rotate as much, they are just going to get played basically until they drop from now out.

Costa still has a hamstring issue which suggests its not a injury, it like Sturridge, is chronic problem that will need management or ultimately surgery. Falcao today looked exactly like he did at United, so I'm not convinced. That would be more pressing than most of the defensive issues because if you haven't got that lethal edge sitting matches out is a risky tactic anyway. You're potentially going to be putting a huge burden on Hazard, potentially even earlier in the season than last year, unless either the Costa or Fabregas issues are resolved. You're still lacking on that left hand side, and its especially important with your midfield set up, think some goals from that side is your top priority. Assuming you get that FB in, defensive players are just adding depth on depth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Haven't been convincing at all since the beginning of the year. Hopefully this is the wake up call the board/Jose needed. Can't afford to not bring in a couple of good players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so the community shield between Chelsea and Arsenal is not deemed important enough to close the thread, interesting
Original post by Bubzeh
Love seeing Jose lose. Love it Keegan style.

Wenger - A man of class.

Jose - Lol.

I wish I was always right like bubzeh.

I bow to you.

Latest