The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheInvincibles14
Posted from TSR Mobile
*Ends the post saying he doesn't troll yet claims his club need two players to finish higher than third, even though they have signed three world class players and have another WC player returning from a loan spell*

:confused:

We need another central midfielder and another right winger.

Don't see why we're favourites imo. You want me to be an arrogant Chelsea fan thinking we'll win every game, well I'm not that confident in my team mate sorry.

If Fabregas is injured. What happens? I'm not too worried about the striker situation.

Also Fabregas has never been good enough to be the main man for a team challenging for the top trophies. He's a good vital cog in the chelsea behemoth but to make him the main man for a team challenging for the PL and the CL. That's risky. He's a very good player though but we can't make the system based on him, the system is based on Hazard only and he's there as one of various supporting acts.

Same way Ozil was a supporting act for Ronaldo and Benzema Fabregas is a supporting act for Hazard and Costa.
Anything less than top two with you current squad would be underperforming. A midfield destroyer (Mascherano/Martinez/Carvalho) would make you favourites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't need a midfield destroyer. We have Matic, failing that Ramires and Mikel are very good backups for that role.

We need a possession retainer/box to box midfielder. Which is why I wanted Tiago badly. We also need a right winger as Willian is stealing a career, Salah is **** and Schurrle is an effective option and that's it. Schurrle is not that good a footballer, he's just a good interpretor of space who can finish, he's not on the level of Muller in that regard, more on Theo Walcotts level, which is not enough to be challenging for titles. Honestly we should go and buy Di Maria. I agree with AnharM here. He's available most likely.
(edited 9 years ago)
"Snitch" on who I am? :lolwut: this ain't the playground man, I'm allowed to voice my opinion.

Torres made Chelsea into a brand. Park-Ji Sung helped make united into a brand. Sure he was **** but he made so much money for them who cares. Torres has made so much money for us who cares how he plays. We should keep him until he retires.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
We need another central midfielder and another right winger.

Don't see why we're favourites imo. You want me to be an arrogant Chelsea fan thinking we'll win every game, well I'm not that confident in my team mate sorry.

If Fabregas is injured. What happens? I'm not too worried about the striker situation.

Also Fabregas has never been good enough to be the main man for a team challenging for the top trophies. He's a good vital cog in the chelsea behemoth but to make him the main man for a team challenging for the PL and the CL. That's risky. He's a very good player though but we can't make the system based on him, the system is based on Hazard only and he's there as one of various supporting acts.

Same way Ozil was a supporting act for Ronaldo and Benzema Fabregas is a supporting act for Hazard and Costa.

We don't need a midfield destroyer. We have Matic, failing that Ramires and Mikel are very good backups for that role.

We need a possession retainer/box to box midfielder. Which is why I wanted Tiago badly. We also need a right winger as Willian is stealing a career, Salah is **** and Schurrle is an effective option and that's it. Schurrle is not that good a footballer, he's just a good interpretor of space who can finish, he's not on the level of Muller in that regard, more on Theo Walcotts level, which is not enough to be challenging for titles. Honestly we should go and buy Di Maria. I agree with AnharM here. He's available most likely.

Disagree that Fabregas is not good enough to be the main man for a team challenging for the title etc, Arsenal had good runs and game close to it with him as the centre piece of the team. He doesn't need to be that at CFC due to Hazard but he can still supply Costa and Schurrle who can easily get 50 goals between them with him as the #10. This is a guy that propelled Adebayor to a 30 goal season.

Reasoning behind me mentioning another destroyer is that playing a two of Matic/Masherano for example would result in Oscar/Cesc/Hazard being free to supply Costa and the team not being susceptible to counter-attacks. Obviously this would require width from the FBs which would be possible as Azpi returns to his favoured side and Luis is good going forward.

You need a RW that's true but if Mou was that good of a coach he should be able to turn either Willian or Schurrle into a top winger, they are not far off with the right guidance. So far Willian has gone from being a creative and useful player at Shakhtar and is now a more attacking version of Ramires, this change can be attributed to Mou's defensive mind set. Also Schurrle has the ingredients to be a top class winger but has pretty much remained stagnant while at the club. Surely it's time Chelsea developed a star rather than buying one. Saying this you'll probably put a bid in for Di Maria tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Jam, all you have to do is make a Premier League strongest XI to realise just how good Chelsea's team is right now. Courtois, Luis, Terry, Hazard and arguably Fabregas would all be in it. Five players.
Disagree that Fabregas is not good enough to be the main man for a team challenging for the title etc, Arsenal had good runs and game close to it with him as the centre piece of the team. He doesn't need to be that at CFC due to Hazard but he can still supply Costa and Schurrle who can easily get 50 goals between them with him as the #10. This is a guy that propelled Adebayor to a 30 goal season.

Mate Arsenal last came 2nd in 2005 and that wasn't a close run to the title.

He's not good enough.
Reasoning behind me mentioning another destroyer is that playing a two of Matic/Masherano for example would result in Oscar/Cesc/Hazard being free to supply Costa and the team not being susceptible to counter-attacks. Obviously this would require width from the FBs which would be possible as Azpi returns to his favoured side and Luis is good going forward.

I disagree with your reasoning. We have enough destroyers as it is. We simply just have to play 4-3-3 with Oscar and Fabregas in front of Matic. It's that simple. Two destroyers is going to lead to the problem we had last season, nobody able to control the play from deep, we're asking too much from Matic creativity wise and at points last season he was providing majority of the creative spark causing him to get out of position. He can be creative but is that worth him losing his(otherwise excellent) defensive capabilities? Think about it.

You need a RW that's true but if Mou was that good of a coach he should be able to turn either Willian or Schurrle into a top winger, they are not far off with the right guidance. So far Willian has gone from being a creative and useful player at Shakhtar and is now a more attacking version of Ramires, this change can be attributed to Mou's defensive mind set. Also Schurrle has the ingredients to be a top class winger but has pretty much remained stagnant while at the club. Surely it's time Chelsea developed a star rather than buying one. Saying this you'll probably put a bid in for Di Maria tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Willian is terrible, I've never actually rated him fully, scored two goals vs Chelsea but tbh Alex Teixeira and Fernandinho were the players I thought ran rings round us that game. Bertrand got a rape as well as our midfield. I did think Willian would make up for the lack of creativity when Hazard got injured but he's an offensive version of Ramires.

No, Schurrle doesn't have the ability to make a top class winger. I'll quote a post I made on the liverpool thread on him.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Jam, all you have to do is make a Premier League strongest XI to realise just how good Chelsea's team is right now. Courtois, Luis, Terry, Hazard and arguably Fabregas would all be in it. Five players.

Fabregas nope.

4 players at best. Now City have Kompany, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Aguero who would make the first 11.
Original post by jam278
Fabregas nope.

4 players at best. Now City have Kompany, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Aguero who would make the first 11.

Courtois
Zabaleta Terry Kosc/Komp Luis
X Yaya X
Sanchez Aguero Hazard

The two X's are up for debate. Ramsey, Fernandinho, Fabregas, Matic, Silva, Ozil, Mata all have an argument. But those 9 players are dead certs - four of which are Chelsea. Not much between Koscielny and Kompany.
Courtois
Zabaleta Terry Kosc/Komp Luis
X Yaya X
Sanchez Aguero Hazard

The two X's are up for debate. Ramsey, Fernandinho, Fabregas, Matic, Silva, Ozil, Mata all have an argument. But those 9 players are dead certs - four of which are Chelsea. Not much between Koscielny and Kompany.

Sturridge ain't there? Why?

Also Sanchez should not be on this list.
Original post by jam278
Sturridge ain't there? Why?

Also Sanchez should not be on this list.

Because almost every team only plays with one centre forward. Is he better than Aguero? Is he even better than Van Persie?

What winger is better than Sanchez?

And most importantly, what does this have to do with Chelsea?!
Because almost every team only plays with one centre forward. Is he better than Aguero? Is he even better than Van Persie?

What winger is better than Sanchez?

And most importantly, what does this have to do with Chelsea?!

He's not better than Aguero and I think you know my answer to whether he's better than RVP.

Honestly I'd rather have Silva in the team. Sanchez thrives off a free role playing through the middle anyway like he does for Chile, Silva is better in a free playmaking role and he's good enough on the wing.

Therefore Silva would get in the team over Sanchez. Bare in mind I've not rated Sanchez for years, he's had one good season at Barca and a good world cup and everybody are acting like he's the best in the world. Remember last season how everybody saw him as trash.

We're using the first 11, I'm saying how they wouldn't get into the team(non Chelsea players) so it's not like I'm just downplaying my squad. For the record I would put Ramsey in the first 11 with Toure and Fernandinho.
Original post by jam278
He's not better than Aguero and I think you know my answer to whether he's better than RVP.

Honestly I'd rather have Silva in the team. Sanchez thrives off a free role playing through the middle anyway like he does for Chile, Silva is better in a free playmaking role and he's good enough on the wing.

Therefore Silva would get in the team over Sanchez. Bare in mind I've not rated Sanchez for years, he's had one good season at Barca and a good world cup and everybody are acting like he's the best in the world. Remember last season how everybody saw him as trash.

We're using the first 11, I'm saying how they wouldn't get into the team(non Chelsea players) so it's not like I'm just downplaying my squad. For the record I would put Ramsey in the first 11 with Toure and Fernandinho.

Sturridge has had one good season. Ramsey has had one good season. Bit of a double standard there.

Also, I'm sure I remember you posting that Matic was the best holding midfielder in the league, and not Fernandinho. A few weeks ago I believe.
Sturridge has had one good season. Ramsey has had one good season. Bit of a double standard there.

Also, I'm sure I remember you posting that Matic was the best holding midfielder in the league, and not Fernandinho. A few weeks ago I believe.

Not bothered to go into the Sturridge argument again but the use of one good season is incredibly short sighted. When he got a run of games he was only second to Mata at Chelsea and was on fire for 18 months at Liverpool. Lets not forget his form at Bolton. If he wasn't your typical boisterous black boy with confidence he'd get more ratings like Barkley does.

There's no double standard. Especially when Ramsey got injured for a large part of the season. Sturridge did get injured for about 2 months last season but he was second top goalscorer with those injuries which says it all about his ability. Ramsey was injured for a crucial part of the season. Sturridge also was a bigger matchwinner than Suarez if you look at the stats btw.

Best holding midfielder yes. But as a total footballer Fernandinho is better. There's not too much to separate the two though and it's a simple matter of tactics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Best holding midfielder yes. But as a total footballer Fernandinho is better. There's not too much to separate the two though and it's a simple matter of tactics.

Agree with this

But Jam is correct to be skeptical about Chelsea's title chances (or even top two chances) the moment one recalls that a title is won by a squad, not a team. Arsenal have had strong elevens for the most part for years now but the moment a defender gets injured they have huge problems. Chelsea have lots of options in certain areas - obviously double pivot and front three - but Torres is just not a convincing striker alternative, whilst Mourinho doesn't seem to trust Lukaku. And Torres - Lukaku - Costa is some way behind Aguero/Negredo/Dzeko and probably a little less encouraging than van Persie/Rooney/Hernandez (a player I rate highly even if a lot on here don't). Similarly thin options once one looks past both Luis, and Terry and Cahill. A big squad, but an imbalanced one.

Original post by jam278
Not bothered to go into the Sturridge argument again but the use of one good season is incredibly short sighted. When he got a run of games he was only second to Mata at Chelsea and was on fire for 18 months at Liverpool. Lets not forget his form at Bolton. If he wasn't your typical boisterous black boy with confidence he'd get more ratings like Barkley does.

There's no double standard. Especially when Ramsey got injured for a large part of the season. Sturridge did get injured for about 2 months last season but he was second top goalscorer with those injuries which says it all about his ability. Ramsey was injured for a crucial part of the season. Sturridge also was a bigger matchwinner than Suarez if you look at the stats btw.

Couldn't agree more with all you say on Sturridge.

EDIT: Also just thought that though it's not as strident or silly as the trend of overrating English footballers, there has become, over the last couple of years, a trend to start underrating English players. I think Sturridge is a victim of this, especially as he doesn't fit the archetypal mould of what an English player should be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lukaku > Costa

Heard it here :cool:
John Terry needs to retire. Chelsea need to be re branded into one of Europe's elites but the club will never have this look if you still have players from England's failure of a "golden generation". How can anyone take the club seriously anymore. Cole and Lampard all have left and now it is Terry's turn. It's a shame Luiz was sold to PSG; surely could have been more than adequate cover for Terry but I guess Chelsea could really do with the 50m right
Original post by The Chosen Wum
John Terry needs to retire. Chelsea need to be re branded into one of Europe's elites but the club will never have this look if you still have players from England's failure of a "golden generation". How can anyone take the club seriously anymore. Cole and Lampard all have left and now it is Terry's turn. It's a shame Luiz was sold to PSG; surely could have been more than adequate cover for Terry but I guess Chelsea could really do with the 50m right

Yeah that's why I say Torres has to stay. He was revealed as the 4th most marketable player in the world so by keeping him you keep Chelsea global. Some of our fans fail to realise that Torres has enabled the likes of Hazard/Willian /Costa/Fabregas to join with his expansion of our club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
FKLW can you go troll somewhere else.

Chosen wum I'll find out who you are in a bit.
Chosen WUM is obviously AR. Obvious troll is obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah not sure if this squad is good enough to win the title.

If we don't get another winger than I think Schurrle will start. Wonder what Salah will do? May be an impact sub to open teams up when they're on tired legs. Schurrle is better than Salah in that regard but if he's starting, then he's obv not gonna be an impact sub.

Latest