The Student Room Group

Being Human

Do you not think that countries should be investing in peace rather than investing in arms ?

Scroll to see replies

How do you invest in peace? We are investing in peace. But until we have peace then we need to be able to defend ourselves. A lot of people stand to lose a lot of money and status if the world becomes peaceful and abandons militarism, and they won't lose those things without a fight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
What I believe is that patriotism is one of those things that can overtake human emotions. If we love our country we should also know that someone else has affection for their land as well. Respecting another country then you would not have a wage wars. I'm not saying that countries shouldnt have weapons to defend themselves, but if we invest into poverty which would improve the word and also educate children in 3rd word countries to that future generations can learn.
Reply 3
personally I need my arms
Reply 4
The greatest weapon we have tongue .. only If we knew how to use it properly
Original post by Hkhan95
What I believe is that patriotism is one of those things that can overtake human emotions. If we love our country we should also know that someone else has affection for their land as well. Respecting another country then you would not have a wage wars. I'm not saying that countries shouldnt have weapons to defend themselves, but if we invest into poverty which would improve the word and also educate children in 3rd word countries to that future generations can learn.

We do invest in poverty. We spend ten billion pounds per year on aid, and that's not including private charitable donations. And most children in 3rd world countries already go to school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Copperknickers
We do invest in poverty. We spend ten billion pounds per year on aid, and that's not including private charitable donations. And most children in 3rd world countries already go to school.

Foreign aid ? what a joke .. foreign aid to a country is probably more dangerous than AIDS it self. Do you even know what foreign aid even is ?

The aid doesnt go to the country instead goes to cooperation who then build that country. The country then has to pay that 'Foreign aid' back. Obviously a 3rd word country wont be able to pay that money back at all. What happens then ?

the country/countries that give that 'foreign aid' basically economically take over that country. they sell their oil for cheaper ... have to vote in favor of that country in UN meetings.
Original post by Hkhan95
Foreign aid ? what a joke .. foreign aid to a country is probably more dangerous than AIDS it self. Do you even know what foreign aid even is ?

The aid doesnt go to the country instead goes to cooperation who then build that country.

And you know why it doesn't go to the country? Because most countries that need aid are governed by incompetent, corrupt charlatans. That's why they need aid after all. Corporations aren't perfect, but they do invest in the country and create industry and jobs, instead of spending the money on booking private Katy Perry concerts and buying bottles of champagne the size of labradors like Mugabe and Gaddafi and provincial Indian governors do/did.

The country then has to pay that 'Foreign aid' back. Obviously a 3rd word country wont be able to pay that money back at all. What happens then ?

The debt isn't important: it will get written off at some point. Its just to underline the country's obligation to the country which gave the aid.

the country/countries that give that 'foreign aid' basically economically take over that country. they sell their oil for cheaper ... have to vote in favor of that country in UN meetings.

Right.... but even if that were true, it doesn't sound like a very good argument for helping people out of poverty. If we gave all our aid money directly to charities whose sole aim was to get people out of poverty, then we'd lose all the power and money we get from investing in third world industries.
Reply 8
How do you invest in peace? We are investing in peace. But until we have peace then we need to be able to defend ourselves. A lot of people stand to lose a lot of money and status if the world becomes peaceful and abandons militarism, and they won't lose those things without a fight.

Invest in education and you have peace.
Original post by hihoho
Invest in education and you have peace.

What makes you think that? When was the last time Somalia or Angola started a war? It's educated countries like Britain and the USA that start wars.
Reply 10
What makes you think that? When was the last time Somalia or Angola started a war? It's educated countries like Britain and the USA that start wars.

Somalia doesn't have the resources to start a war, dummy. Britain and USA is hardly educated, most of them seek entertainment.
Original post by hihoho
Somalia doesn't have the resources to start a war, dummy. Britain and USA is hardly educated, most of them seek entertainment.

Oh right. So you want to educate Somalis, make them richer, create a centralised and functioning state. What do you think they'll do when they have that? I give it about 10 minutes after that happens before they invade Somaliland.

And now you're just talking rubbish: following your own ridiculous logic, if Britain and the USA aren't educated to a good enough standard we should be educating ourselves, not people in third world countries, because we're the ones who need education more: we are the ones with the weapons and machinery of war.
I thought this was about the series Being Human :getmecoat:
Reply 13
Oh right. So you want to educate Somalis, make them richer, create a centralised and functioning state. What do you think they'll do when they have that? I give it about 10 minutes after that happens before they invade Somaliland.

And now you're just talking rubbish: following your own ridiculous logic, if Britain and the USA aren't educated to a good enough standard we should be educating ourselves, not people in third world countries, because we're the ones who need education more: we are the ones with the weapons and machinery of war.

Educate them enough till they realise that working together and trading is more beneficial for the people, dummy. Educate them enough to be able to produce presidents and leaders that are moral in their acts. Educate them enough to want peace, dummy.

If you define education as cunning and ruled by sociopaths then yes, Britain and USA is educated. The reason sociopaths are able to hold grasp of the masses is because they provide them with enough comfort and entertainment for them not to rebel, dummy.

There isn't a limit to being educated, but most stop their education after graduation, dummy.
Investing in arms = investing in peace
Reply 15
Ironically, investing in arms is investing in peace.
I just think we all need to be honest, mostly with ourselves. we need to give things a bit of thought and not be scared of our feelings.
Original post by Rebel_Chick
I thought this was about the series Being Human :getmecoat:

You are not alone :sad:
What pains me is that, if these rich countries tried, they could end a massive amount of pain and suffering that exists in this world due to poverty.
Original post by Hkhan95
Do you not think that countries should be investing in peace rather than investing in arms ?

What a thought but things are not as simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending