The Student Room Group

What is the best song by a British band/singer/songwriter??

Scroll to see replies

Wattsy,8073379
I think it's too easy to hark back to giants of byegone eras, there are so many artists out there who are so not commercially produced if you would only look for them. But looking is time consuming and unorthodox. Just put Radio 1 on between 10pm and midnight Monday-Thursday and you'll get a flavour of what I mean, that's new music which either hasn't yet gone commercial or is musically good but of a genre or style which prevents commercial success; this for example:

[video="youtube;62RvnXZgHwQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62RvnXZgHwQ[/video]

Maybe so, but If the music generally isnt of my taste I shant listen to it or go out there and find it. Admittedly there are artists nowadays that i do like, but just because the music that was produced in the sixties for example is 50 years old, doesnt deter how good it is and most likely that will be more of my preference than even the "alternative" music such as "Jake Bugg". I shall check out Radio 1 thanks.
Original post by catpopg
Oh my favourite band at the moment is Pulp 100% all the way... :biggrin: Remind me of my childhood haha, and Jarvis Cocker, he needs no words to describe him!!! :adore:

Oasis, Blur, The Smiths, New Order, Suede, Sleeper, Joy Division, all of these have been blaring out all weekend. Nostalgic... :h:

I also like Mac DeMarco, Interpol, Little Joy, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros etc.

Rave music, a la The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim, Justice, (i don't know if that is actual rave music but it sounds pretty rave-y to me)

And I like stuff like Brooke Candy, Die Antwoord. Random haha!

I have a what I like to call eclectic music taste, in that if I can jam to it, I like it. Yeah.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late one. You seem to have great music taste, I particularly like Oasis, especially Whats The Story Morning Glory. I shall have to check out some of the artists that you have mentioned :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by morrisseymarr97
Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late one. You seem to have great music taste, I particularly like Oasis, especially Whats The Story Morning Glory. I shall have to check out some of the artists that you have mentioned :smile:

Yeah, I like Definitely Maybe alot too!

Haha, I'm sure you won't like them all, especially Brooke Candy and Die Antwoord, but you can give it a go you never know until you try :tongue:
'There is a light' isn't even the best Smiths song in my opinion.
Maybe so, but If the music generally isnt of my taste I shant listen to it or go out there and find it. Admittedly there are artists nowadays that i do like, but just because the music that was produced in the sixties for example is 50 years old, doesnt deter how good it is and most likely that will be more of my preference than even the "alternative" music such as "Jake Bugg". I shall check out Radio 1 thanks.

You sound like me. My favourite artists are The Beatles and Bob Dylan. I like most 60's stuff, can't beat it really. Though I do love The Smiths as well, in fact I'm going to see Marr for the first time in October. I'm a massive Arctic Monkeys fan though, seen them live a few times.
Original post by Beatlemania
You sound like me. My favourite artists are The Beatles and Bob Dylan. I like most 60's stuff, can't beat it really. Though I do love The Smiths as well, in fact I'm going to see Marr for the first time in October. I'm a massive Arctic Monkeys fan though, seen them live a few times.

Hi there. So glad you understand where Im coming from. You have great taste in music by the way. The 60s was so great I wish I was born for then! As you say you cant beat it... I am so jealous you are seeing Johnny Marr in October. Unfortunately he isnt touring near where I live but I am looking forward to his new album coming out, I thought the Messenger was really good and loved "European Me". My brother really likes Artic Monkeys and saw them last month in London. What other music do you like? Anything you could suggest? :smile:
Hi there. So glad you understand where Im coming from. You have great taste in music by the way. The 60s was so great I wish I was born for then! As you say you cant beat it... I am so jealous you are seeing Johnny Marr in October. Unfortunately he isnt touring near where I live but I am looking forward to his new album coming out, I thought the Messenger was really good and loved "European Me". My brother really likes Artic Monkeys and saw them last month in London. What other music do you like? Anything you could suggest? :smile:

Can't wait for his new album either. Yeah The Messenger was good, and I think he has a strong voice - never really heard him as a lead singer before.

The artists I put in my previous post, I like all those and people around that same genre. The Kinks, The Who etc, Joy Division, Oasis.. How about yourself?
Steel Pulse-Your House

Gives me chills.

Possibly anything by Sade, particularly "Jezebel."

The Police has some good stuff, just came across "Roxanne." I love UK Ska and Punk. Amazing.

Amazing.
Coldplay has some good stuff too like "Fix You." Cliche but so what. They're popular for a reason, and I love it.

Honestly UK has the best music, including reggae. They popularized The Wailers anyway which is the best thing in music yet next to American soul.
Arctic Monkeys. Their stuff just keeps getting better and better :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beatlemania
Can't wait for his new album either. Yeah The Messenger was good, and I think he has a strong voice - never really heard him as a lead singer before.

The artists I put in my previous post, I like all those and people around that same genre. The Kinks, The Who etc, Joy Division, Oasis.. How about yourself?

Me neither, I've seen on YouTube him performing Smith's songs so going to see him live to sing those would be brill
I really like Oasis too, I like The Specials, Temples (new, but really good - incase you hadn't heard of them?), The Stone Roses, Motown/NS... etc. :smile:
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
Coldplay has some good stuff too like "Fix You." Cliche but so what. They're popular for a reason, and I love it.

Honestly UK has the best music, including reggae. They popularized The Wailers anyway which is the best thing in music yet next to American soul.

That Fix You song is old and boring now! :yawn:

You probably won't like me, but my best song from a British band is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_v9MY_FMcw&feature=kp

Or possibly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJO3ROT-A4E&feature=kp

:blush: :blush:
[h="1"]Meridian Dan ft Big H & JME - German Whip[/h]
[h="1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROWqjuTM0g[/h]
I admit in terms of quality, the old classics such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd etc are better, but to me they mean less because I haven't lived the excitement around them, I haven't experienced the joy of discovering that song, and endlessly repeating it forever like I have with songs released after my birth.
Anyway, some of my favourites:
Me - The 1975
She Changes The Weather - Swim Deep
The A Team - Ed Sheeran
Only Love - Ben Howard
Yellow - Coldplay
Reply 34
Original post by DoubleTapTim
[h="1"]Meridian Dan ft Big H & JME - German Whip[/h]
[h="1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROWqjuTM0g[/h]

To be fair, I won't forget this song in a hurry. I'll probably laugh about in in 10 years time when I'm on the cusp of 30. I wonder if I still remember the hook then!?

Quick Reply

Latest