The Student Room Group

Really missing my uni friends

So this is probably going to seem a little pathetic but I need to get it off my chest and just talk to somebody because I'm going crazy at home.

Finished uni for the summer and I'm missing my friends like crazy and I'm not sure how I can cope with 3 months of this. I don't have any friends back home, only have the friends I made at uni this year and I don't know I just want to talk to them all the time but I know they're busy because they have their own stuff back home whereas I don't have anything for me here and I can tell they don't want to/ have enough time for me over the holidays and it's just getting me really down, I don't do so well when I'm left on my own (depression) and it seemed that being around them was the only thing that helped :frown:

I don't even know what I'm asking...just hi.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not ask to meet up, sometime when they arent busy, im sure they arent busy all the time. Go out to dinner together or watch a movie, something like that. Better yet, why not go visit them, obviously ask them when they`re free.
Or why not attempt to find more friends, eg. local clubs/communities etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Mav455
Why not ask to meet up, sometime when they arent busy, im sure they arent busy all the time. Go out to dinner together or watch a movie, something like that. Better yet, why not go visit them, obviously ask them when they`re free.
Or why not attempt to find more friends, eg. local clubs/communities etc.

They all live very far away and I don't have enough money to visit them :/
also I don't live in a particularly great area, the only local clubs and communities are for people in school.
Reply 3
I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to dream up something cheap. If your mates don't have a lot on, I'm confident you could get a few days together somewhere dirt cheap before holiday season kicks in.
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to dream up something cheap. If your mates don't have a lot on, I'm confident you could get a few days together somewhere dirt cheap before holiday season kicks in.

I have £100 in the bank and travel costs would be at least £60 :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have £100 in the bank and travel costs would be at least £60 :frown:

Only if you go to them.

What if you arranged to meet up halfway? Do you have any expectations (i.e. income over the short term)?

Geographically, where are you talking about? Midlands? South-West? London etc?
You could take up a hobby or maybe find a job if you want. It'll help you feel occupied with work so less time for you to dwell on how much you miss mates from uni
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
Only if you go to them.

What if you arranged to meet up halfway? Do you have any expectations (i.e. income over the short term)?

Geographically, where are you talking about? Midlands? South-West? London etc?

I've got no income coming in no >.< they're down south and I'm up north
Reply 8
Original post by TheInternet123
You could take up a hobby or maybe find a job if you want. It'll help you feel occupied with work so less time for you to dwell on how much you miss mates from uni

I'm doing some voluntary work but it doesn't even take up a third of my time and its not really helping
So this is probably going to seem a little pathetic but I need to get it off my chest and just talk to somebody because I'm going crazy at home.

Finished uni for the summer and I'm missing my friends like crazy and I'm not sure how I can cope with 3 months of this. I don't have any friends back home, only have the friends I made at uni this year and I don't know I just want to talk to them all the time but I know they're busy because they have their own stuff back home whereas I don't have anything for me here and I can tell they don't want to/ have enough time for me over the holidays and it's just getting me really down, I don't do so well when I'm left on my own (depression) and it seemed that being around them was the only thing that helped :frown:

I presume you've just finished first year, will you be paying rent for a house over the summer? If so I would strongly recommend you try and find a job down there, and then just live there every holiday. That's what I did for my entire 3 years at uni, there will be people around who you know.
Reply 10
I've got no income coming in no >.< they're down south and I'm up north

Come off it, if you have an NUS card, a coach is like £7 each way to London. If you can get your mates to put you up over night, you've got enough for a couple of trips to see your friends.

Theoretically, you could do a couple of day trips, buy lunch and be home. Explain it to them, I'm sure they'll be accommodating.
Original post by sr90
I presume you've just finished first year, will you be paying rent for a house over the summer? If so I would strongly recommend you try and find a job down there, and then just live there every holiday. That's what I did for my entire 3 years at uni, there will be people around who you know.

Yeah just finished first year. My tenancy ends at the end of June though next year we have our house over summer. But none of them have stayed very long after the end of exams as they kind of wanted to get back home so there isn't anyone around.
Original post by Clip
Come off it, if you have an NUS card, a coach is like £7 each way to London. If you can get your mates to put you up over night, you've got enough for a couple of trips to see your friends.

Theoretically, you could do a couple of day trips, buy lunch and be home. Explain it to them, I'm sure they'll be accommodating.

What? how? where? I don't even.
Reply 13
What? how? where? I don't even.

Don't give any details - but which city are you in?
Original post by Clip
Don't give any details - but which city are you in?

Liverpool, most of the friends are near london and one is near Birmingham if that helps?
Reply 15

Try going out and make some new friends. Ask some relatives to introduce you to some people your age, or have a day out with them; you might meet some new people :smile:
Reply 16
Liverpool, most of the friends are near london and one is near Birmingham if that helps?

If you go to Megabus.com , and punch your hometown and destination (London / whatever), and try some various travel times, I have no doubt you will find fares for £6-9 each way.

Less if you have an NUS card.
Original post by Clip
If you go to Megabus.com , and punch your hometown and destination (London / whatever), and try some various travel times, I have no doubt you will find fares for £6-9 each way.

Less if you have an NUS card.

Thanks, I'll have a look :smile:
Original post by Gax
Try going out and make some new friends. Ask some relatives to introduce you to some people your age, or have a day out with them; you might meet some new people :smile:

I appreciate the advice but it's not applicable to my family. :smile:
Reply 19
This is advice that you probably don't want to hear, but I think you need to be happy on your own.

You can't be dependent on others, otherwise you just get under each others' feet.

I mean, you're having to cope with three months right now, but what's going to happen when you all completely finish uni?

You need to find the reason for your depression. I'd suggest trying to make new friends in your area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending