The Student Room Group

Full A level further maths in one year.

Hello, I just wanted to ask how hard a full A level further maths would be next year.... I will be in year 13 when doing this and i'll do the AS in lessons and I will need to self teach the A2 modules at home with videos and stuff.

So could people give me an idea as to how hard this will be and whether it is worth it or not. I want to study maths at university and I think i am able in maths. But should I take just the AS in year 13 or the AS and A2 in year 13. I think I could manage the workload and I have lots of free time on my hands to do it. But is it just too hard. I'm already doing 3 A level subjects so It's not completely necessary for me.
Reply 1
Another thing i could do is retake the AS year to get A2 maths in there. Would the higher universities mind that?
I would speak to your maths teacher and ask them whether they'll enter you for both as and a2 exams
Reply 3
Original post by sunnydespair
I would speak to your maths teacher and ask them whether they'll enter you for both as and a2 exams

Thanks, but lets imagine I could... is it too hard?
Reply 4
Could anyone who has actually done this tell me what it is like please and how hard it is. I am willing to put the work in but how hard did you find it?
There's no point imagining until you know whether its feasible to do it in your school. Check that out first. Basically it would mean doing 5 subjects in Year 13. I did 4 and I found that quite tough. I think you would probably have to spend one day, maybe a Saturday, devoted to the A2 Further Maths. I think since you'll have to do uni applications next year, you might be better off just doing the AS level. It may even be worth self studying over the summer one of your subjects to make this practically possible, and/or to assess your capacity to teach yourself further maths and/or other subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by sunnydespair
There's no point imagining until you know whether its feasible to do it in your school. Check that out first. Basically it would mean doing 5 subjects in Year 13. I did 4 and I found that quite tough. I think you would probably have to spend one day, maybe a Saturday, devoted to the A2 Further Maths. I think since you'll have to do uni applications next year, you might be better off just doing the AS level. It may even be worth self studying over the summer one of your subjects to make this practically possible, and/or to assess your capacity to teach yourself further maths and/or other subjects.

Yeah, I think I'm probably just going to do AS further maths in year 13, I need to focus a little more on securing the A* in regular maths and I think a university would like to see an A in AS further maths as oppose to a C in A level further maths.

Also I am going to be studying core 3 over the summer I think, well that's what I plan on doing since we start a taster of year 13 next week for 3 weeks. I will just use the textbook to try to learn the whole of core 3 over the summer to make my life a little easier when I get back to school.

Quick Reply

Latest