The Student Room Group

AS-Level or A-Level Maths?

I am a year 11 student who has finished their exams and I am doing Maths next year at 6TH form. My school does OCR and I am confused on the difference between AS and A-level and whether I get a choice on which one I do. Does the content differ and is one better over the other?
Reply 1
AS is like half an A level. It used to be you'd do AS exams in year 12 and then A-level exams in year 13 but now the standard for most is a two year course with one set of A level exams at the end. But AS is still a thing, it basically just means you do the content from the first year of an A-level. Whether you get a choice to do AS or the A-level depends on whether your school would actually offer the AS course only and enter you for the exam. But the standard thing you would do if Maths is one of your main subjects is to take the full A-level. If you're confused about your specific personal situation your new sixth form should be able to advise you further.
as above

The main course and exam is A level

AS is an additional exam you can take that sits between GCSE and A level so just an additional qualification and practice at exams.

If you don’t take it it’s no biggie but nice one to add to the total if offered.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by eeeli
AS is like half an A level. It used to be you'd do AS exams in year 12 and then A-level exams in year 13 but now the standard for most is a two year course with one set of A level exams at the end. But AS is still a thing, it basically just means you do the content from the first year of an A-level. Whether you get a choice to do AS or the A-level depends on whether your school would actually offer the AS course only and enter you for the exam. But the standard thing you would do if Maths is one of your main subjects is to take the full A-level. If you're confused about your specific personal situation your new sixth form should be able to advise you further.

Thanks a lot, really cleared things up for me
Reply 4
Original post by Minute_Warrior
I am a year 11 student who has finished their exams and I am doing Maths next year at 6TH form. My school does OCR and I am confused on the difference between AS and A-level and whether I get a choice on which one I do. Does the content differ and is one better over the other?

It's very rare that a school would do AS but not A level maths (if anything it would be the other way round) so I'd highly recommend you do the full maths a level. It's a great course and is extremely useful for uni applications later on. A lot of good unis won't really look at AS level qualifications as they want the full a level.

Quick Reply

Latest