The Student Room Group

Choosing a psychology course at uni?

Hey everyone,

I'll try to keep this short and simple but basically I'm interested in studying psychology at uni and I've been looking at different universities and comparing their psychology courses (I've just finished my AS levels).

Though I'm primarily just looking at Psychology courses I can't help but notice that some universities offer a variety of the e.g. Psychology with Counselling, Psychology with Criminology and etc. so I was just wondering what is the deciding factor for wanting to do just psychology or psychology with something else?
If you know what you want to do after completing your degree then courses like psychology with counselling or educational psychology is beneficial I guess. As for pairing psychology with another subject people tend to do that because they usually can't decide what they want to do so just put the two together. I've also just finished my AS levels so I don't know how useful this is, but I know my friend is considering psychology with criminology because she's more into forensic psychology and if she did continue psychology after undergrad she'd want to go into something like that, whereas I'm more considering the educational psychology route but I've decided to just stick with a normal accredited psychology course but I've been looking into course content to make sure the uni's I like do have elements of developmental psychology particularly in the final year as that would help my prospects if all goes to plan and I go on to do a doctorate later on in life.
Original post by Lilyghz
Hey everyone,

I'll try to keep this short and simple but basically I'm interested in studying psychology at uni and I've been looking at different universities and comparing their psychology courses (I've just finished my AS levels).

Though I'm primarily just looking at Psychology courses I can't help but notice that some universities offer a variety of the e.g. Psychology with Counselling, Psychology with Criminology and etc. so I was just wondering what is the deciding factor for wanting to do just psychology or psychology with something else?

Most unis are very similar in the content of their psychology courses over the first one or two years; its normally the optional third year modules that differ by quite a bit. If you already have in mind that you want to do clinical psychology; you can make your life easier if you know that your uni offers advanced modules in that in third year- or even more ideally that a uni gives you a year in industry (which they normally have quite good links to hook you up on something good). Its also worth noting that many regular psychology Bscs will give you the chance to study non-psychology modules - so you might not really need to do a dual honours course if all you want is some experience of something different. I personally took criminology/bio anthropology/sociology/education papers alongside psychology, and except for the latter course, they were all very interesting and worth studying in their own right.

Quick Reply

Latest