The Student Room Group

Should I do A level psychology or maths if i want to apply for medicine?

My plan so far has been to take a levels biology, chemistry and psychology, however I’ve been debating whether I should switch psychology to maths. Many of the medical students who took maths for a level have discouraged me from taking it, and I myself am not too much of a maths enthusiast but I did get a 7 in GCSE. Would psychology be a better option for me to choose or maths?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by A.23
My plan so far has been to take a levels biology, chemistry and psychology, however I’ve been debating whether I should switch psychology to maths. Many of the medical students who took maths for a level have discouraged me from taking it, and I myself am not too much of a maths enthusiast but I did get a 7 in GCSE. Would psychology be a better option for me to choose or maths?

In my opinion, maths would be more in demand for medicine
Reply 2
The more science or maths subjects, the better, so taking maths would make you a more competitive applicant for medicine courses.
Original post by A.23

Most unis don't care what your third option for A level is. You're taking biology and chemistry so you're fully set. Just make sure whichever you choose you are confident in getting the A and it'll help a lot if you enjoy it too. Other than that there's nothing more to it since technically both maths and psychology are science subjects.
Original post by A.23

Hey! If you're planning on going into medicine, you only need two sciences, so you can choose either. Both subjects will have challenges but it is up to you. Honestly, I would say choose the one you feel more comfortable with and enjoy more because A levels are difficult and you want to make it as easy for yourself as possible. I have friends who have taken both psych and maths for their third a levels and have got into medicine.
I would recommend looking at the specs for both subjects and see which one you prefer. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Emily_210567
Most unis don't care what your third option for A level is. You're taking biology and chemistry so you're fully set. Just make sure whichever you choose you are confident in getting the A and it'll help a lot if you enjoy it too. Other than that there's nothing more to it since technically both maths and psychology are science subjects.

This ^^^

Choose the one you can get an A in. Most unis ask for two sciences and Biol and Chem cover that.

Others would accept Maths as a science and some Psychology as a science, some both.

But if you are doing Bio and Chem that is irrelevant.

You do NOT need maths at A level, nor will you be specifically advantaged by it over Psychology unless possibly if considering Oxbridge.

An EPQ in year 13, now there may be some benefits there.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GGIN
This ^^^

Choose the one you can get an A in. Most unis ask for two sciences and Biol and Chem cover that.

Others would accept Maths as a science and some Psychology as a science, some both.

But if you are doing Bio and Chem that is irrelevant.

You do NOT need maths at A level, nor will you be specifically advantaged by it over Psychology unless possibly if considering Oxbridge.

An EPQ in year 13, now there may be some benefits there.

Idk how good I would be at psychology a level in comparison to maths tho

i got a 6 in English language , a 7 in maths and an 8 in sociology so I’m unsure about which subject is more worth it for me
Reply 7
Original post by A.23
Idk how good I would be at psychology a level in comparison to maths tho

i got a 6 in English language , a 7 in maths and an 8 in sociology so I’m unsure about which subject is more worth it for me

It doesn't have to be either. If you are doing Bio and chem choose something you can get an A in.

See what your teachers think poss?

Do you like sociology?

Clearly this will may well change by the time you get to applying for uni. But might be helpful to read to see what the reqs are now.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements-for-2024
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by A.23

I was in the same situation as you, I didn’t really fancy maths a level but I felt like I had to to get into medicine. Ended up taking psychology because I was convinced I needed the third option to be sciencey, and that was fine and I got into medicine- but tbh I wish I’d taken something I was more interested in as my third subject like geography or even english lit because most medical unis really really don’t care about your third option in my experience. Basically choose whatever you think you can bank an a/a* and will enjoy. Not worth putting yourself through maths when you don’t need to.

Quick Reply

Latest