The Student Room Group

2016 Medicine Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by el73
My stats:
GCSE's- 8A*s, 4As and 1 B
AS- AAA( bio, chem, maths ) B( spanish)
A level predicitions- A*( chem) AA ( bio and maths, but i can get maths moved up to an A* if i need it )
UKCAT- 670 av. SJT band 2
Unis i am looking at:
UCL
Barts
Leeds
Cardiff
Glasgow
Nottingham
Sheffield

Sheffield, Notts, Barts and Leeds suit your stats imo (ask other people obviously!) because high gcses and as grades. Though I recommend Liverpool/Keele as you stand a good chance there!
Where to apply for my 4 th choice with 672.5 band 1 SJ.

Already applying to king, barts and southampton (undergrad.)

??

Original post by superwomancool
Sheffield, Notts, Barts and Leeds suit your stats imo (ask other people obviously!) because high gcses and as grades. Though I recommend Liverpool/Keele as you stand a good chance there!
Original post by Tanishqa
Yep, we get only four options too! Hey, I was considering applying to kings, Newcastle, Birmingham and St. George's now that the deciles are out. I'm in the 9th decile with a score of 690 band 2. What do you think about this?
Also, how badly will band 2 affect me at Birmingham? They said they were going to use it for the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your choices seem good tbh, Kings is a good choice for you, probably the one risky one may be Newcastle but dw, not as risky as me considering Manchester with a measley 650 score 😣😣 Band 2 wont be bad at all, besides Band 1 and 2 are the most sought after by any uni's that do look at SJT, bare in mind that not a lot of people secure band 1
Original post by thei11usionist
Your choices seem good tbh, Kings is a good choice for you, probably the one risky one may be Newcastle but dw, not as risky as me considering Manchester with a measley 650 score 😣😣 Band 2 wont be bad at all, besides Band 1 and 2 are the most sought after by any uni's that do look at SJT, bare in mind that not a lot of people secure band 1

Ah, the average is low right? You might meet Manchester's cut off!
Kings isn't as risky anymore? Phew. Just Newcastle then?
Oh, okay. I was in a rush to see my average tbh. Could've got a band 1. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, the average is low right? You might meet Manchester's cut off!
Kings isn't as risky anymore? Phew. Just Newcastle then?
Oh, okay. I was in a rush to see my average tbh. Could've got a band 1. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still considering whether its wayy too risky to apply to Manchester :frown: yeah for you Kings seems like a decent choice tbh, less risky than Newcastle I guess because you said that you clearly exceed their academic criteria with good marks so a score of 690 (which is still great) will not hinder you much, lets hope some of your internationally applying peers to KCL aren't as good as you then 😉
I'm still considering whether its wayy too risky to apply to Manchester :frown: yeah for you Kings seems like a decent choice tbh, less risky than Newcastle I guess because you said that you clearly exceed their academic criteria with good marks so a score of 690 (which is still great) will not hinder you much, lets hope some of your internationally applying peers to KCL aren't as good as you then 😉

Your other options are safe enough right? I'd say go for it then. Like if you really want to be there, you can take one risk.
Haha. I hope so. :P
Good luck to you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I was told 650 was enough. And this year with my 667.5 it hopefully will be. I was told this by a very reliable source so I am quietly confident but can't be 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your other options are safe enough right? I'd say go for it then. Like if you really want to be there, you can take one risk.
Haha. I hope so. :P
Good luck to you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess its worth a shot, but a very risky one indeed. I think my others are fairly safe (i really hope). Hope you get in and good luck for your application. Pleasure of being any help :smile: x
Original post by HCAssistant93
Last year I was told 650 was enough. And this year with my 667.5 it hopefully will be. I was told this by a very reliable source so I am quietly confident but can't be 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any ideas whether its worth applying to Manchester with 650?
Any ideas whether its worth applying to Manchester with 650?

I don't know. I don't get why people are saying it is so ukcat heavy. My friends have got in with less and last year 650 was enough, I was told by someone who works in admissions. So the average isn't too different this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know. I don't get why people are saying it is so ukcat heavy. My friends have got in with less and last year 650 was enough, I was told by someone who works in admissions. So the average isn't too different this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

So would you say its worth the risk? I really don't want to waste any of my options but I really like manchester and wanted to apply there
So would you say its worth the risk? I really don't want to waste any of my options but I really like manchester and wanted to apply there

If you have a strong personal statement id go for it yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have a strong personal statement id go for it yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought they first select everyone through their threshold and academic requirements. Then they look at the form thing that needs filling in and ps after interview?
Reply 813
I am in 6th Decile and my IB predicated score is 44/45 i am planning to apply for Cardiff, Dundee, Nottingham and Sheffield
Reply 814
As per the discussion here "King's have said that a low UKCAT score can be compensated by high grades" can u plse share the source of this criteria i.e can you plse the website Link . in this case then i will go for Kings as i have predicated score 44/45 in IB is it advisable to take choice
Original post by nico16
As per the discussion here "King's have said that a low UKCAT score can be compensated by high grades" can u plse share the source of this criteria i.e can you plse the website Link . in this case then i will go for Kings as i have predicated score 44/45 in IB is it advisable to take choice

This is a link to their website. I think when we are saying academics can compensate for a lower UKCAT, we are talking slightly lower, and probably within the same decile, but at the lower end, rather than being several deciles lower, but this is what Kings themselves say on the matter:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/medicine/alpha/M/header_search/
I thought they first select everyone through their threshold and academic requirements. Then they look at the form thing that needs filling in and ps after interview?

The form that is filled in is essentially your PS broken down into different sections, so it will contain much of the same information
Reply 817
Original post by GANFYD
This is a link to their website. I think when we are saying academics can compensate for a lower UKCAT, we are talking slightly lower, and probably within the same decile, but at the lower end, rather than being several deciles lower, but this is what Kings themselves say on the matter:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/medicine/alpha/M/header_search/

Thanks for sharing the detail.
Anyone thinking of applying to Lancaster?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just quickly what is the difference between a Degree (UK Bachelor-Honours) and a Bachelor Degree (UK-honours?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending