The Student Room Group

Does anyone here cycle to work/university/college? Is 14 miles (round trip) too far?

Hi

I'm considering starting to cycle to work but it's a 14 mile round trip (no hills). Is this too far for an average girl? I am completely unfit but I'm assuming my fitness would improve...

Any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's very doable. What sort of bike do you have? Is it all road or do you need to use tracks etc?

Also if you haven't ridden a bike much or are worried about not being fit enough why don't you try riding 14 miles at the weekend first just to see how you cope.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That's very doable. What sort of bike do you have? Is it all road or do you need to use tracks etc?

Also if you haven't ridden a bike much or are worried about not being fit enough why don't you try riding 14 miles at the weekend first just to see how you cope.

Thanks for replying. I only have a cheap mountain bike from about 5 years ago so I think I would need to buy a road bike.

Yes it's all road with no cycle tracks. B-roads.

I'm worried about cars overtaking me. Is it hard to get the hang of? I only ever used to cycle in parks etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
It's probably about 40 minutes each way at a steady pace, easily doable.
Original post by Toaster Leavings
I'm worried about overtaking cars. Is it hard to get the hang of? I only ever used to cycle in parks etc.

Do you mean cars overtaking you? It can be a little intimidating if they do it close to you, but just stick to the left of the road and you ought to be fine. I doubt you'll be overtaking many cars, unless you're in traffic, but that's fairly simple.

Also, make sure you signal with your arms in plenty of time. Cars can often be slow on noticing cyclists hand signals.
I do 3 miles to work in a bit less than 20 minutes, with traffic lights. I am not particularly fit. 7 miles is doable in under an hour regardless of fitness. I would say that's about at the tipping point for a car being worth it, unless the route is very steep or dangerous.
I'm not too sure what cycling to work has to do with relationships. I've moved this to fitness.
Thanks for replying. I only have a cheap mountain bike from about 5 years ago so I think I would need to buy a road bike.

I'm worried about overtaking cars. Is it hard to get the hang of? I only ever used to cycle in parks etc.

If you are going to do it regular I would say it is worth investing in some form of low end road bike or hybrid. Makes you faster with no extra effort :smile:

How busy car wise is your route?
Hi

I'm considering starting to cycle to work but it's a 14 mile round trip (no hills). Is this too far for an average girl? I am completely unfit but I'm assuming my fitness would improve...

If you're going to be doing this daily, then you really should consider investing in either a hybrid bike, or a road bike - nothing too expensive, but it'd be lighter and more designed for riding on road than a mountain bike is.

14 miles round trip with no hills is easily done. You'll be fine. Ride in a gear you're comfortable with to be begin with, then as you get fitter (and you want to go faster) keep increasing your gears. Remember, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

You'll be riding on minor roads, which is fine - much easier to handle than major roads. Don't stick too close to the left - keep at least one third of the width of the entire lane away from the curb. This way, if a car decides to overtake you and gets a bit too close, you can dip into the curb a bit, then quickly regain your distance from the curb.

You have just as much right to be on the road as motor drivers do. Stay resilient, but also remember to be patient and considerate.

That's all really.

Oh, maintain your bike.

I cycle 14 miles a day to work, I'm fairly fit anyway but I do usually get home and go for a run! I don't find it very tiring and I have a mountain bike too, you might want to do a couple of practice runs both to help your fitness, increase your confidence and make sure your route is one that feels safe

you probably want to get your bike a quick service to make sure you're not going to have any problems with brakes/gears 6 miles from home, and make sure you know how to fix a puncture for the same reason

you probably wont be overtaking any cars on a mountain bike especially on a B road, cycling on the road is easy, just make sure you're aware of dangers (e.g. give parked cars a wide berth, don't cycle 2 inches from the kerb, indicate early and watch for space to pull out), right turns are the only thing which can be a little tricky on a bike but if you indicate early then just watch behind you for either a gap or a nice driver slowing down then cycle in the middle of the lane til you get a gap on the other side you're fine :smile:
Original post by doodle_333
I cycle 14 miles a day to work, I'm fairly fit anyway but I do usually get home and go for a run! I don't find it very tiring and I have a mountain bike too, you might want to do a couple of practice runs both to help your fitness, increase your confidence and make sure your route is one that feels safe

you probably want to get your bike a quick service to make sure you're not going to have any problems with brakes/gears 6 miles from home, and make sure you know how to fix a puncture for the same reason

you probably wont be overtaking any cars on a mountain bike especially on a B road, cycling on the road is easy, just make sure you're aware of dangers (e.g. give parked cars a wide berth, don't cycle 2 inches from the kerb, indicate early and watch for space to pull out), right turns are the only thing which can be a little tricky on a bike but if you indicate early then just watch behind you for either a gap or a nice driver slowing down then cycle in the middle of the lane til you get a gap on the other side you're fine :smile:

Sorry I meant I was worried about cars overtaking me too close, I'm not intending to overtake cars unless they're queued.

Right turns sound and look very hard to me. I'm not the most confident cyclist, I can do it sure, but I've never even ridden off the pavement on a busy road! :/ I'll just have to try it and see.

I'm always considerate to cyclists when I drive so hopefully I'll get some of that karma!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by doodle_333

In rush hours it can be a pretty busy route with impatient drivers wanting to get home or get to work on time. :/

I will try it on my existing bike first and see how I get on.
Sorry I meant I was worried about cars overtaking me too close, I'm not intending to overtake cars unless they're queued.

Right turns sound and look very hard to me. I'm not the most confident cyclist, I can do it sure, but I've never even ridden off the pavement on a busy road! :/ I'll just have to try it and see.

I'm always considerate to cyclists when I drive so hopefully I'll get some of that karma!

okay, well I'm not going to lie to you it does happen! however, make sure you cycle around a meter away from the kerb then you have room to move in if you need to and I read somewhere the more space you leave between you and the kerb the more space cars will leave between them and you? I don't know, but either way it encourages them to wait for a proper gap

I wasn't confident at all when I started cycling to work, I was too scared to even indicate properly haha, you get used to things like cars passing and making more difficult manouvers as you go, as long as you can indicate comfortably and look behind you without swerving you will be safe, if it doesn't look like anyone is giving you space to cross look for traffic lights and use the pavement briefly if you need to, don't take unnecessary risks

your two key points to remember are 1. always be predictable (follow traffic rules, indicate clearly, don't change your mind last minute) and 2. be aware some cars will do stupid things so just watch your surroundings and don't get into autopilot mode

In rush hours it can be a pretty busy route with impatient drivers wanting to get home or get to work on time. :/

I will try it on my existing bike first and see how I get on.

this may mean cars come a little closer than they otherwise would but just stay aware and stay confident, if you don't feel safe try and take the lane and that forces drivers to wait for you, but try not to stress too much, cycling isn't as dangerous as some people make out if you're sensible about where you go and what you do!

You don't need a road bike or hybrid, a mountain bike is fine.

I "turned" my mountain bike into a hybrid with slick tyres and the like, it made very little difference to my commute time or perceived effort.

I would consider taking an alternate route on quieter roads, it may be further and it may take slightly longer but the offshoot is that it is safer for you and you can maintain a higher speed.

I'm worried about cars overtaking me. Is it hard to get the hang of? I only ever used to cycle in parks etc.

I would do a couple of trial runs when you're fresh and it's quiet to get a feel for it and build your confidence.

Having some lessons would also be a good shout - it is crazy to think that anybody can pick up a bike and venture out onto a busy road with little or no experience, training, safety gear or insurance.

Original post by Kagutsuchi
You have just as much right to be on the road as motor drivers do. Stay resilient, but also remember to be patient and considerate.

Sure, however I would say that this goes hand in hand with respect for other road users.

This attitude that some cyclists carry that "I am just as entitled to use this road as anybody else, I will go as slow as I damn well please and I do not have to make it easy for other road users to overtake me" is the source of a lot of bad blood between drivers and cyclists and I would say that it tends to encourage riskier overtakes.

If you are going significantly slower than the road users around you at least try to make it easier for other road users to safely overtake you, better still pull over for a couple of seconds to let the traffic that you are holding up through. Unfortunately I would say that this "consideration" for other road users is practised far more commonly among lorries, tractors, learner drivers, etc than it is cyclists.

Other general pointers:

1) Do not undertake traffic turning left, especially lorries and buses.

2) Do not overtake traffic turning right, especially lorries and buses.

3) Do not coast along in someone's blind spot and make yourself as visible as possible (ie; bright clothing, high viz, lights, etc).

4) Be aware of your surroundings, do not use a phone or listen to music while you cycle.

5) Wear a helmet, it isn't fashionable but how much is your life worth to you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
Sure, however I would say that this goes hand in hand with respect for other road users.

This attitude that some cyclists carry that "I am just as entitled to use this road as anybody else, I will go as slow as I damn well please and I do not have to make it easy for other road users to overtake me" is the source of a lot of bad blood between drivers and cyclists and I would say that it tends to encourage riskier overtakes.

If you are going significantly slower than the road users around you at least try to make it easier for other road users to safely overtake you, better still pull over for a couple of seconds to let the traffic that you are holding up through. Unfortunately I would say that this "consideration" for other road users is practised far more commonly among lorries, tractors, learner drivers, etc than it is cyclists.

Of course, keeping up an appropriate speed is important, especially when there are other vehicles about. However, I've encountered plenty of impatient motorists in my time on the road - my comment of entitlement of being on the road was more geared at them.

Chances are, the OP, like me, will encounter many impatient/rude drivers. Drivers who will overtake her when she's doing 20-25mph in a 30mph zone, only to meet her again at the upcoming traffic lights. She'll have abuse shouted at her. She'll have some near misses. At these times, she needs to remember that she's just as entitled to be on the road as motorists are.

Also, I wouldn't say constantly pull over if you're holding up traffic due to your slow speed. Keep on the road and either up your speed or maintain it (if you can't increase your speed, that is). Other vehicles will overtake you if safe to do so.
Hi

You should be fine. Obviously practise shorter routes first. Try to build up stamina before trying your first time. So do 5 miles then 10 miles and then 14 miles. It's not too far at all, just make sure u take plenty of water and get some good rest before setting off.
Best of luck. Enjoy riding :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest