The Student Room Group

Finance

I would like to go into finance after I do a degree as I have read a fair few books and looked at some websites and it seems interesting. Do employers really mind what degree you do? There seems to be the belief at the moment (with people at my school) that you need to do an economics/business/finance degree to go into finance, but is this true?

I am considering either Chemistry or Natural Sciences which I enjoy and have heard from a few people that they are just seen as good solid degrees with transferrable skills.

So, would doing a non-economics/finance/business degree put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 1
Put it this way. it helps and it gives you knowledge of the industry. Some courses like mine provide exemptions to the institute exams. That's the main advantage otherwise, some firms even want you to do a degree that you enjoy.

My cousin did maths and managed to get a job with KPMG. Though for Finance it would probably be firms like Black Rock or Meryll Lynch. It is more about you as a person fitting the criteria of the job and being the candidate they want.

Quick Reply

Latest