The Student Room Group

studs/spikes to deter homeless people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the mezzil
What a good idea! It is very annoying finding a tramp sleeping on your doorstep.

Instead, homeless people should be forcibly put into shelters and sleep there at night in saftey. This would be paid for by the Guardian and its moronic readers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds costly. I'm not sure the Guardian has enough readers to cover that cost. In fact on recent evidence I'm not convinced there are enough decent people left in this country to cover that cost.

They might become shelter dependents (imagine the shame, being dependent on having a roof over your head!) rather than pulling themselves up by their bootstraps. That's the last thing your type want, right? Also, shelters would have to be maintained at a loss by the government, horror of horrors.

The hypocrisy of the small-state right-winger... I suppose the thing that makes it justifiable despite your own principles is the word "forcibly"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
Looks like a pretty stupid workaround to a badly designed doorway - if that space in the guardian photo had been bricked in when they designed the building it wouldn't have attracted rough sleepers in the first place and no one would have given a monkeys.

Bpd5WxKIgAE5c-j.jpg

But that would deprive the "hard-working tax-paying homeowners" who live there of their opportunity to feel superior to others!
Original post by russellsteapot
How is this even a story? Building design has incorporated elements of 'disciplinary architecture' for years. The Camden Bench, for example. Almost every council bench in the country has been designed to stop homeless people sleeping on them.

It's a good idea, I think, but nothing especially new. Only The Guardian could make it into a news story.

If the government is going to be tight-fisted and vindictive enough to force homeless people to sleep on the streets they should be forced to make bus stops and benches rough-sleeper-friendly. The results of their disgusting manipulations should be there for all to see. Why should they be able to hide the results of their incompetent or downright malevolent governance?
You'd be surpise how few people are homeless in the manner most people imagine them (aka sleeping on the street for more than a single night "permanent homeless").

I went to a homeless + alcoholic charity shelter in Liverpool, they reckoned only roughly 7 people fitted that definition in the entire city.... Obviously London is larger, but still is weird when you think of it.
Original post by scrotgrot
Sounds costly. I'm not sure the Guardian has enough readers to cover that cost. In fact on recent evidence I'm not convinced there are enough decent people left in this country to cover that cost.

They might become shelter dependents (imagine the shame, being dependent on having a roof over your head!) rather than pulling themselves up by their bootstraps. That's the last thing your type want, right? Also, shelters would have to be maintained at a loss by the government, horror of horrors.

The hypocrisy of the small-state right-winger... I suppose the thing that makes it justifiable despite your own principles is the word "forcibly"

Actually the vast majority of homeless people are already in shelters via the "no second night out" programme.

Sadly this originated to clear the streets in the run up to the Olympics, but it was successful on getting people off the streets, even if nothing else really happens.

Most cities in the UK don't even have recorded on the street homeless in the 10's never mind 100's. When you look at homeless figures the vast majority do have a roof over their head, usually a shelter, but still are technically homeless.
Original post by DanB1991
Actually the vast majority of homeless people are already in shelters via the "no second night out" programme.

Sadly this originated to clear the streets in the run up to the Olympics, but it was successful on getting people off the streets, even if nothing else really happens.

Most cities in the UK don't even have recorded on the street homeless in the 10's never mind 100's. When you look at homeless figures the vast majority do have a roof over their head, usually a shelter, but still are technically homeless.

Yes, I know, I was only being facetious. Shelters are essential but unfortunately they allow the homeless problem to be out of sight out of mind.
If the government is going to be tight-fisted and vindictive enough to force homeless people to sleep on the streets they should be forced to make bus stops and benches rough-sleeper-friendly. The results of their disgusting manipulations should be there for all to see. Why should they be able to hide the results of their incompetent or downright malevolent governance?

How is the government forcing anyone to do anything? The welfare state in this country is very generous and easily-accessible. I don't think the fact that the government doesn't actively chase down every vagrant and spoonfeed them a luxury lifestyle (paid for by someone else) makes it remotely malevolent.

Well they won't be dependent if they got a job. The shelters would be able to offer training and education, and within 6 months they would be paying for their own rented flat via the wages they would be earning. If the left actually spent voluntary money on this instead of buying champagne and the Guardian, maybe the problem would go away.
As someone who's had two tramps (the main guy and girl from Swansea Love Story actually) sleeping in my back garden I can't really feel bad about it. If you've got a problem with it invite a tramp to stay in your house and get them off the streets.
Original post by the mezzil
Well they won't be dependent if they got a job. The shelters would be able to offer training and education, and within 6 months they would be paying for their own rented flat via the wages they would be earning. If the left actually spent voluntary money on this instead of buying champagne and the Guardian, maybe the problem would go away.

What planet do you live on exactly? You know full well there are ten times as many unemployed people as there are jobs (without counting massaged statistics to reduce the number classed as unemployed, and fake/duplicate job postings which I hardly think are discounted). And without counting underemployment and the fact that even those people who can get more than 16 hours regularly are doing so on unstable contracts and earning poverty pay.
Original post by russellsteapot
How is the government forcing anyone to do anything? The welfare state in this country is very generous and easily-accessible. I don't think the fact that the government doesn't actively chase down every vagrant and spoonfeed them a luxury lifestyle (paid for by someone else) makes it remotely malevolent.

No, but they specifically chase down the sick, unemployed etc at great cost just to persecute them, and this has been getting worse and worse since the recession with heightened conditionality and sanctions targets, resulting in sanctions given for tiny or even invented infractions. If conditionality was abolished think of the money that could be saved in the administration of benefits.
Better deterring homeless people on private property than having some burly security staff attempt to shove them away once they have set up camp, which happens a lot but apparently isn't as newsworthy as a few studs on the ground.
Reply 72
This has been going on for years ffs. It's not new - it's just now the Buzzfeed generation have cottoned onto it.
Deport all foreign homeless. Able bodied homeless can should be interned into work houses and mentally ill patients and the disabled can be interned in institutions
and another story about how in the UK the poor and destitute are something to be belittled and pushed aside.

THat is disgusting. As to whether Id want a homeless person sleeping my door way. No of course i wouldnt - but i sure as hell wouldnt put spikes down to stop them. Not going to happen where i am anyway.

Be interesting to see the inventors reaction when a child puts its eye out on them.
Original post by silverbolt

THat is disgusting. As to whether Id want a homeless person sleeping my door way. No of course i wouldnt - but i sure as hell wouldnt put spikes down to stop them.

What would you do to stop them?
Original post by InnerTemple
What would you do to stop them?

I already said it wouldnt happen where i am, there are no homeless where i live.

Why dont the residents call the police if they wont move on? Putting spikes down is just cruel. Many of those people just want somewhere to sleep out of the worst of the elements.
Original post by silverbolt
I already said it wouldnt happen where i am, there are no homeless where i live.

Why dont the residents call the police if they wont move on? Putting spikes down is just cruel. Many of those people just want somewhere to sleep out of the worst of the elements.

Yeah I saw that you said that - I just wondered what you would do anyway.

I guess having private security or calling the police is one option - though how long it would take the police to arrive just to get rid of a rough sleeper is another question.

Ultimately, the result is the same. The homeless person is prevented from staying there. It just seems that these studs have an image about them which people do not like.

If the gap had been bricked in, the floor angled or some other obstacle put in place, there would not be this hype (where are all the angry threads and news pieces about specially designed benches etc?) It is this which annoys me: most people don't seem to have an issue with people not wanting the homless living on their doorstep... but get all teary eyed when at a particular method of deterrent.

Que people moaning about a landowner's right to keep certain people off their land while the real debate over the issue of rough sleeping is never had. :mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
Emotional response to a pretty reasonable way of stopping a homeless person (who may be drug addicted, violent, diseased, you have no way of knowing) sleeping right outside your private residence where you and your family live. Anyone who has a problem with this needs to reevaluate their lives
Original post by InnerTemple
Yeah I saw that you said that - I just wondered what you would do anyway.

I guess having private security or calling the police is one option - though how long it would take the police to arrive just to get rid of a rough sleeper is another question.

Ultimately, the result is the same. The homeless person is prevented from staying there. It just seems that these studs have an image about them which people do not like.

If the gap had been bricked in, the floor angled or some other obstacle put in place, there would not be this hype (where are all the angry threads and news pieces about specially designed benches etc?) It is this which annoys me: most people don't seem to have an issue with people not wanting the homless living on their doorstep... but get all teary eyed when at a particular method of deterrent.

Que people moaning about a landowner's right to keep certain people off their land while the real debate over the issue of rough sleeping is never had. :mad:

I see your point and its a very good one.

Tbh if i lived in those flats - id leave him be, hes not actually in my way - and hes not exactly in the doorway of my actual domicile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending