The Student Room Group

Frankenstein

Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination? So, sort of a representation of his 'id' that he feels guilty about and so creates this 'monster' as an excuse for it??
Original post by eleanorwoodling
Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination? So, sort of a representation of his 'id' that he feels guilty about and so creates this 'monster' as an excuse for it??

I'm going to pop this in English as I'm sure people there will want to talk about this. :smile:
Maybe it's his alter-ego maybe? I wouldn't go that deep with ID and Freud unless you are super confident with understanding Freudian Psychology.

If you are analysing Frankenstein at a psychoanalytical point of view, then you can argue your point
I think the physical effects of the monster rule out most interpretations of the monster being a figment of his psyche, but you're on the right lines with the idea of him being a double and the alternative side. You might be more on the right idea there with something like Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde :P
Original post by eleanorwoodling
Could it be argued that The Creature is actually a figment of Frankenstein's imagination?

You need to back up your argument with the text and really there is nothing in the text to support your argument about the monster being a figment of Frankenstein's imagination.

Regards the other 'id' point, many critics have argued this so you could research that.

I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rocket0612
You need to back up your argument with the text and really there is nothing in the text to support your argument about the monster being a figment of Frankenstein's imagination.

Regards the other 'id' point, many critics have argued this so you could research that.

I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah okay, I see
I just think that arguments surrounding the novel are really interesting as we looked at loads in English Lit
thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending