The Student Room Group

How can I get 40 UCAS points in 1 month?

Hey

I really want to get to uni this year, for various reasons and I'm very apposed to any further education before university. Essentially I have 120 UCAS points, I just rang the uni I wanted to go to to find out if I could do their foundation year, and they said unfortunately I'd need a min of 160 for a consideration. All I need is an interview as I'm more than capable of the course without the foundation year..

Anyway if any one of you lovely people would be able to advise me of a way to gain 40 ucas points in 4 weeks (or less) that'd be brilliant, I've got a lot of time on my hands so I don't mind working for it

Cheers!
Reply 1
Get a merit in a grade 6 music exam? I don't really think there's much else you could do if you don't want to do anymore education.
Reply 2
Original post by Flauta
Get a merit in a grade 6 music exam? I don't really think there's much else you could do if you don't want to do anymore education.

Good suggestion! I mean basically impossible for me but I like your thinking :smile:
Original post by ditnu
Hey

I really want to get to uni this year, for various reasons and I'm very apposed to any further education before university. Essentially I have 120 UCAS points, I just rang the uni I wanted to go to to find out if I could do their foundation year, and they said unfortunately I'd need a min of 160 for a consideration. All I need is an interview as I'm more than capable of the course without the foundation year..

Anyway if any one of you lovely people would be able to advise me of a way to gain 40 ucas points in 4 weeks (or less) that'd be brilliant, I've got a lot of time on my hands so I don't mind working for it

Cheers!

The university have no way of knowing that you're 'more than capable' if you haven't got grades to back it up. Either suck it up and do some AS levels or fast track full A-level/s in one year or accept that there's not much you can do in this situation (unless the foundation year comes up in clearing, at which point you might be able to call them up and tell them about the grades/qualifications you do have and they might be more willing to take you with 120 points instead of 160).
with only 120 ucas points a university is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Look at apprenticeships, get a job or try a college that offers university level courses.
Reply 5
Original post by parentlurker
with only 120 ucas points a university is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Look at apprenticeships, get a job or try a college that offers university level courses.

Absolutely, though I've got a job, I don't want a job anymore. I want a job doing something I love to do, fortunately the area of study I'd like doesn't require an Oxford degree, though any degree does help. Also I want to be doing a foundation year, which asks for 160 on average, with the regular undergraduate being 240-260

Thanks for the advise though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ditnu
Absolutely, though I've got a job, I don't want a job anymore. I want a job doing something I love to do, fortunately the area of study I'd like doesn't require an Oxford degree, though any degree does help. Also I want to be doing a foundation year, which asks for 160 on average, with the regular undergraduate being 240-260

Some univeristies (university of east london) offer foundation year entries with 120 ucas points. Shop around :smile:
Original post by ditnu

How old are you and where do you live (nearest large town)? If you class as a mature student universities may accept you with lower ucas points. Otherwie despite your dislike of further study pre uni that is likely to be your only choice. You could study independently ( perhaps an EPQ or open university course), it doesn't have to mean a school or 6th form college.
Original post by parentlurker
How old are you and where do you live (nearest large town)? If you class as a mature student universities may accept you with lower ucas points. Otherwie despite your dislike of further study pre uni that is likely to be your only choice. You could study independently ( perhaps an EPQ or open university course), it doesn't have to mean a school or 6th form college.

I don't think you can do the EPQ as an independent student.
Original post by rayquaza17
I don't think you can do the EPQ as an independent student.

The whole point of the EPQ is that you do the work yourself. Yes you'll need to be registered somewhere to do a presentation but you won't need to actually attend a school or college on a regular basis.

An open university course wouldn't give you UCAS points but you can earn a degree that way, many people do.

I also found this - but have never heard of it before so you'll have to research it. http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification/Details/500_3955_6

or there are riding qualifications that attract UCAS points.
Even if there were things which could cobble together 40 points in a month, they would be unlikely to help you unless they were directly linked to the course you were applying for, and in that case, you would most likely already have them. Universities can, and do, specify where they are prepared to accept points from. They are not obliged to take any points from just anywhere. Your best bet is an Access course. Going to do any course that will accept you with 120 points just for the sake of going to university is going to be a massive waste of your time and money, and the resulting qualification would be of pretty low value. Do the thing properly. An access course, targeted at the course you really want to do, will give you real choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending