The Student Room Group

Anyone else got an absolute **** teacher? Prepare for a rant- I am not a happy zebra.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Now I feel like a moan :wink: When I took my A levels I had such problems because I mainly wanted to study maths, further maths, physics and music but also take German AS(because I'm bilingual, although I have many problems with my German I also have many advantages and wanted to get a qualification to prove I could work on it). First off, the school I was at was a "language college" and yet didn't offer German AS even :facepalm: and also wasn't letting me take both physics and music(which they only offered at AS anyway) so I had to look elsewhere. I ended up technically taking A levels at Abingdon College but actually at all four sixth forms for different subjects, and thought I'd be able to arrange a time for German. But then when I started I was in very little contact with my German "teacher", and she would just email me work to do and send back when I'd filled it in. Now that would have been fine, had I ever seen her and had she ever marked my work with actual explanations but NO. I tried emailing her numerous times, but she'd always suggest the same times which I'd told her I couldn't do and then ask for my timetable so we could organise it. I emailed her my timetable. Still nothing was sorted. Eventually I visited her office and LEFT A NOTE WITH MY WHOLE TIMETABLE ON IT ON HER DESK! She still suggested times I couldn't make! I don't know, maybe she has so little work she never went in her office. Either way it was two months before I started having lessons with a German assistant at another school, and then I was basically threatened that I'd be pulled out of the exams at their school if I didn't improve because they didn't want the bad results. It's clear to see why I had bad results.

As well as this, when I emailed my work back to the "teacher" she wouldn't mark it. Oh no. She just highlighted areas I apparently needed to improve and sent them back to me. So my Austrian mum would go through it with me, trying to help. She didn't understand why some things were highlighted(perhaps because we both speak Austrian German, not standard German, but it's hard to know these things when you're not from Germany but Austria!) and generally didn't have a lot of time for it anyway(she was working two jobs). When it got around to prents' evening though I was in for a shock! One of the people from the college was basically trailing me all the way through the evening, it turned out to be to talk about what the teacher had told her about me not doing all the work she sent me(partly because I was having a nightmarish time getting through all my work and she sent me a lot too, partly because I had to understand what was corrected, and that took more time than anything else because my mum would help), as well as to try and convince me to drop German(mainly because the college itself only had 2 students for it and all the sixth forms only had 4, and I was predicted a C), and she didn't realise I hadn't had ANY lessons in person from the teacher at that time! So once that was explained the teacher eventually got round to sorting out a few lessons, but as I said I was basically threatened at the other school with not being entered for exams(so they weren't willing to give me even a chance, when I can speak fluent German and have rarely found an English or otherwise A level student who would have a conversation with me) and was under a lot of pressure so eventually dropped it. Which has given me yet another gap in the time I've spent working on my German.

All this whole process did for me was screw up some of my other A level exams(I got a C in decision maths after that, which I was very upset about), however in the end I got ABBC and am studying maths and music so who cares. Just make sure if you've got a good reason to want to study something at A level to REALLY put the pressure on teachers at parents evening if it's not too late by then! :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingzebra
Oh my freaking God! I could not stop laughing out of disgust at this! Please don't tell me he wears socks with sandals? Actually, tell me that he does as the image of him picking his toes would burn a little less than his naked toes.

Seriously dude, scratching his area is public indecency, especially to high school kids!

Taking a pen out of a pencil case? You're not even allowed to keep student behind for longer than an hour!

I'm guessing you've tried to complain but they don't care and won't do anything because it's too much hassle and reflects badly on the school?

I feel your pain dude- we must join hands and some how try to get through this!

He doesn't wear socks with sandals , but he does stare at everybody, and I mean everybody, regardless of gender. And in the middle of the lesson he just stops and stares....
Reply 42
Wow, after reading some of these stories I am really grateful for my teachers at college...

Quick Reply

Latest