The Student Room Group

Poor grades but I have mitigating circumstances, would I still be considered?

I'm applying for medicine not this coming year but the year after.

I've gone through a whole year of AS which I'm redoing next year because it took the whole year to get referred to the hospital and I've had to suffer through my AS year with an illness that affects my studies - my dad was wanting to pull me out of school but by the time things were sorted out it was already too late to do so and I had to sit through my exams.
I'm aware of the fact that a lot of medical schools don't like resit candidates but if I explained my circumstances would they be okay with it?

Also, I achieved a C in English Language at GCSE because I took the exam and did my coursework in year 10 when I had a few problems at home which my school are fully aware of and are also treating as mitigating circumstances. The rest of my GCSE grades were also affected because I didn't resit the exams I took in year 10 and they dragged down the As and A*s I got in year 11 to very high Bs. I did get full UMS in a few exams in year 11 but do they look at UMS at all or just the grades?

I have been passionate about medicine for a very long time but lately I feel like I'm starting to give up with all this bad luck I've been having.
I'd be grateful for any advice... thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Firstly, I believe (although I may be wrong) that universities do not look at the individual exam marks for all your gcse papers and instead just look at your overall grades to try and see whether you would be a suitable candidate for the course and have a high chance of doing well. However, during the university application process you do have the opportunity to express any circumstances that may have affected your as results or your exam performance so you can explain about your illness and why you are resisting. If your school also knows about this they will be able to advise you on how to show this on your application. If you can do this for your as results there may also be a chance you can do it for your gcse grades and explain your circumstances for those too but I'm not sure. Overall don't panic, if circumstances that were not your fault, not predictable or not preventable then I believe most universities will take this into account and not view you negatively for resisting. So long as you get the top grades when you do resist and show a real passion for medicine you should be fine. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Ninjasrule
I'm applying for medicine not this coming year but the year after.

I've gone through a whole year of AS which I'm redoing next year because it took the whole year to get referred to the hospital and I've had to suffer through my AS year with an illness that affects my studies - my dad was wanting to pull me out of school but by the time things were sorted out it was already too late to do so and I had to sit through my exams.
I'm aware of the fact that a lot of medical schools don't like resit candidates but if I explained my circumstances would they be okay with it?

Also, I achieved a C in English Language at GCSE because I took the exam and did my coursework in year 10 when I had a few problems at home which my school are fully aware of and are also treating as mitigating circumstances. The rest of my GCSE grades were also affected because I didn't resit the exams I took in year 10 and they dragged down the As and A*s I got in year 11 to very high Bs. I did get full UMS in a few exams in year 11 but do they look at UMS at all or just the grades?

I have been passionate about medicine for a very long time but lately I feel like I'm starting to give up with all this bad luck I've been having.
I'd be grateful for any advice... thanks in advance.

Most universities put aside places for people with circumstances such as yours, so you wouldn't be competing for places against people without extenuating circumstances, which is good.

Make sure the person who is writing your reference knows about the illness and writes about it in their reference, the admissions tutors are much more likely to take them seriously if the referee writes about them instead of you. Although you could mention it in your personal statement.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending