The Student Room Group

Uni's & Interview

What happens if you get really good grades at A-level, however kind of mess up in the interview for university (for example if you're too shy)?
Original post by Ashma15
What happens if you get really good grades at A-level, however kind of mess up in the interview for university (for example if you're too shy)?

At Oxford, a wide variety of things could happen. The interview is only 1 piece of information they use for admission. It's perfectly possible that you'll get in with a weaker interview than average, or you might get reinterviewed to give you another chance. It is an important part of admission though, and its worth practicing and preparing, to try and make sure you're not shy!

Interviewers do want to see the best of you though. They are human; they'll see and understand you're nervous.

Try and get some practice talking about your subject. See if your school can give you practice interviews. One thing I found really helpful was talking to my mum about my subject, it can really get you used to talking about your subject rather than writing it down in exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Unless you're so shy you can't respond to a person asking you a question, I doubt it'll be an issue. You're expected to be nervous - that is not a problem.
Reply 3
I want to do mathematics and I think I'll be okay with step/EAE papers. The only thing I'm confused about is what sort of questions could they possibly ask related to this subject? Are there any books I should read in advance?
Reply 4
Original post by Ashma15
I want to do mathematics and I think I'll be okay with step/EAE papers. The only thing I'm confused about is what sort of questions could they possibly ask related to this subject? Are there any books I should read in advance?

Maths interviews (and science interviews more generally) will be set as a series of problems. They will be testing your mathematical ability face to face, in a tutorial-like setting. They won't ask you to read a section of A Mathematician's Apology and respond critically to it, if that's what you're worried about!
Original post by Ashma15

You know Oxford don't ask for STEP and AEA, right? I'm sure they'd be good preparation nevertheless, but it's the MAT you'd be wanting to look at right now.
Reply 6
Original post by KombatWombat
You know Oxford don't ask for STEP and AEA, right? I'm sure they'd be good preparation nevertheless, but it's the MAT you'd be wanting to look at right now.

I got told that its STEP for Cambridge and Warwick, and AEA for Oxford by my maths teacher!
Original post by Ashma15
I got told that its STEP for Cambridge and Warwick, and AEA for Oxford by my maths teacher!

Told wrong! At oxford, once you've got a conditional offer it'll only be on your A-levels, but you'll need to sit the MAT before interviews, in November.
Original post by Ashma15

Wrong. As above. Check the website!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending