The Student Room Group

Did England really fail?!?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Hahah. Please. Name me on serious football commentator that claimed that Uruguay would be thrashed.

The issue is really that people like you just make things up because you are a bitter Scot. It is not our fault that your team sucks.

I'm talking about this forum you ****wit. Prove that I'm wrong?

Oh wait you can't. Sounds like you're mad because I was right all along and now you look like a tit :smile:
I can't believe they lasted only 8 days in the comp.. utterly disastrous.

Also last 4 world cups - number of goals scored.

Miroslav Klose: 2002 + 2006 + 2010 + 2014 = 15 Goals

England: 2002 + 2006 + 2010 + 2014 = 17 Goals

:rofl2: :rofl2:
Original post by DanyalAmeriKhan
I was just thinking, why is there such a furore about England's World Cup so far? There wasn't any expectation of them doing well anyway, yet they've played decently enough, (more Italy game than Uruguay), so what is really p'ing people off? Is it the false hope that we had after the first game that they'd just demolish Uruguay or...?

Realistically and in hindsight, England were never favorites to go through in this group. Italy have the experience and know-how, and they're incredibly consistent.

Uruguay are blessed with two worldy strikers in Cavani and Suarez.

We have none of that...

I'm an Italy fan. Compared to our performance against Costa Rica you have nothing to be ashamed of!
Original post by Jordooooom
I'm talking about this forum you ****wit. Prove that I'm wrong?

Oh wait you can't. Sounds like you're mad because I was right all along and now you look like a tit :smile:

Who said I wasn't including people from this forum? I didn't say a professional pundit. I said a serious football commentator. I didn't see any England fans that regularly comment on Football saying England would thrash Uruguay. Find one from this forum then.

Sorry. your anti-English rage seems to make you lose your logic. You are the one making another imaginary claims about fans saying England would thrash Uruguay. You are the one who has to prove it.

Why would I be mad or look like a tit? lol…. I didn't say that England would even beat Uruguay. Maybe you are imagining more things.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
I'm an Italy fan. Compared to our performance against Costa Rica you have nothing to be ashamed of!

What do you mean? You can't be much of a fan if you have misinterpreted the game so much. It was a very close one. Costa Rica's fitness and aggression and teamwork has taken the whole group by surprise but the game could have been won by Italy if Balotelli had finished the chances given to him.
Original post by maskofsanity
What do you mean? You can't be much of a fan if you have misinterpreted the game so much. It was a very close one. Costa Rica's fitness and aggression and teamwork has taken the whole group by surprise but the game could have been won by Italy if Balotelli had finished the chances given to him.

We played absolutely awfully :\ you've not watched many Italy games have you? If you had you'd realised that most of the players were not even close to being on form.
Reply 46
I don't think England failed...I really don't.

Yes, they have failed to make it through the group stages, but first and foremost, our aim was to play more attractive football, show more threat, play more like how English teams play in the Premier league, instead of parking the bus and getting knocked out by penalties in the QF again. Let's not sugarcoat it, they weren't ever going to win the World Cup, so going through to the latter stages by parking the bus and then getting knocked out wouldn't have made any difference to the way we feel now. I would have feel disgusted if England made it to the semi-finals by parking the bus, trust me I know the feeling, because I'm a Chelsea fan. Nothing would have been learnt if Hodgson used the same tactics, so I honestly do respect him for that.

Hodgson needs to carry on with this philosophy. He needs to tighten up his defence, but by all means, never go out all parking the bus again. Attacking football will always win in the end, the likes of Germany and Spain will tell you that, because they've been dominating the semi-finals and Finals for ages now.
We played absolutely awfully :\ you've not watched many Italy games have you? If you had you'd realised that most of the players were not even close to being on form.

Well I've watched and supported them since I was a kid when I lived in Italy and have £500 down on them, so I've done a fair bit of research... Anyway, like I said, Costa Rica had more steam which helped them massively in the second half and that's not surprising when you consider the climate they play in. Italy had much higher possession and closer chances, but ultimately they didn't have the stamina which caught them by surprise.

Italy play best when they are backed into a corner. They were complacent against Costa Rica and Balotelli didn't finish two opportunities which were handed to him on a plate, but that's Balotelli for you - next game he could just as easily get a hat-trick. It certainly was not a poor performance. They beat Uruguay 3-1 remember; I hardly think a 1-0 close defeat which could have just as easily been a 2-1 victory is "absolutely awful".
Well I've watched and supported them since I was a kid when I lived in Italy and have £500 down on them, so I've done a fair bit of research... Anyway, like I said, Costa Rica had more steam which helped them massively in the second half and that's not surprising when you consider the climate they play in. Italy had much higher possession and closer chances, but ultimately they didn't have the stamina which caught them by surprise.

Italy play best when they are backed into a corner. They were complacent against Costa Rica and Balotelli didn't finish two opportunities which were handed to him on a plate, but that's Balotelli for you - next game he could just as easily get a hat-trick. It certainly was not a poor performance. They beat Uruguay 3-1 remember; I hardly think a 1-0 close defeat which could have just as easily been a 2-1 victory is "absolutely awful".

My Dad, who is Italian, and has supported them for 60 years now and watches Seria A constantly said it was a poor performance and in his words 'the second worst I've seen Italy play'. No offense but I'm more inclined to agree with him than you.

I agree though, they were complacent, and the climate will have had an impact. Balotelli is never reliable but unfortunately with Montolivo out we have to rely on him. Never a good position to be in.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Who said I wasn't including people from this forum? I didn't say a professional pundit. I said a serious football commentator. I didn't see any England fans that regularly comment on Football saying England would thrash Uruguay. Find one from this forum then.

Sorry. your anti-English rage seems to make you lose your logic. You are the one making another imaginary claims about fans saying England would thrash Uruguay. You are the one who has to prove it.

Why would I be mad or look like a tit? lol…. I didn't say that England would even beat Uruguay. Maybe you are imagining more things.

Still delusional. How sad... Go and take a look at the first couple of pages in the Uruguay vs England thread where you will see all the predictions such as 3-0 or 2-0.

You my friend are currently going through the 5 stages of loss and suffering.

As a mentally challenged individual it seems you are still stuck on the first and second stage.

First stage is denial. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock. We block out the words and hide from the facts. This is a temporary response that carries us through the first wave of pain.

Second stage is anger. As the masking effects of denial and isolation begin to wear, reality and its pain re-emerge. We are not ready. The intense emotion is deflected from our vulnerable core, redirected and expressed instead as anger.

Fortunately some of the more reasonable members of this forum and the ones that know the most about football have reached the acceptance stage. They recognise that England are overhyped and piss poor. Once more people recognise this then changes can be made to ameliorate the situation.

I'm sorry that I have caused you pain by enlightening you on the facts. But you'll just have to grow up and deal with your fears.

Anyway I'm done with, don't contact me again until you have gained a better understanding
Original post by Jordooooom
Still delusional. How sad... Go and take a look at the first couple of pages in the Uruguay vs England thread where you will see all the predictions such as 3-0 or 2-0.

You my friend are currently going through the 5 stages of loss and suffering.

As a mentally challenged individual it seems you are still stuck on the first and second stage.

First stage is denial. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock. We block out the words and hide from the facts. This is a temporary response that carries us through the first wave of pain.

Second stage is anger. As the masking effects of denial and isolation begin to wear, reality and its pain re-emerge. We are not ready. The intense emotion is deflected from our vulnerable core, redirected and expressed instead as anger.

Fortunately some of the more reasonable members of this forum and the ones that know the most about football have reached the acceptance stage. They recognise that England are overhyped and piss poor. Once more people recognise this then changes can be made to ameliorate the situation.

I'm sorry that I have caused you pain by enlightening you on the facts. But you'll just have to grow up and deal with your fears.

Anyway I'm done with, don't contact me again until you have gained a better understanding

Hahahaha…..So some people saying 2-0 or 3-0 equals "many people thought they were going to thrash Uruguay" or "serious commentators".

England are so Overhyped that Hodgson is not even going to be sacked for going out of the World Cup. That is clearly…..DENIAL DENIAL DENIAL!!!….England are one of the best teams at the WC!!!

Were you even alive when Scotland were last in a major tournament?
(edited 9 years ago)
My Dad, who is Italian, and has supported them for 60 years now and watches Seria A constantly said it was a poor performance and in his words 'the second worst I've seen Italy play'. No offense but I'm more inclined to agree with him than you.

Did he not watch the 2010 world cup?
Did he not watch the 2010 world cup?

Yeah I think that took spot 1 :tongue:
The trouble with England is that the quality of the national football team in global terms is significantly lower than the quality of the English league, and the countries reputation. Because of how good the league is, and because of how famous and powerful the country is in International Relations, people expect the team to be quality.

The reality is, the best players in the Premier League are foreign. If the World Cup were Wimbledon, England would be seeded 10th and would be lucky to make the quarters. Yet the expectation and desire to do well is just immense.

It's frustrating, because there are good players in that team, many stars particularly from Liverpool who were just outstanding in the Premier League, but we played against two other outstanding teams who were just that bit better.

We're ranked 10th in the Fifa rankings, which is probably about fair. We just have to accept we'd be the equivalent of a mid table Premier League team. But equally Switzerland are ranked 6th, and I'm not convinced by that. Make of these arguments what you will.
Reply 55
Yes, England have one of the strongest squads in the group and face the possibility of finishing last. The only reason why people are saying no is because England have pretty much failed in every world cup they have played in since 02.
The population of Uruguay is only about 3 million they are also a poorer country. We didn't defend against them properly however they are a good team and it does depend how you define fail.
Reply 57
Unfortunately they did.

Soccer is is a very popular sport here and you would expect at least a deep World Cup run.

Like the other post stated, there are too many excellent International players.
Reply 58
I consider it a failure because a team with lesser players than ours beat the two teams we lost too. That is down to the manager.
Original post by woztar
Unfortunately they did.

Soccer is is a very popular sport here and you would expect at least a deep World Cup run.

Like the other post stated, there are too many excellent International players.

Sorry for the late reply, but who would you class an excellent international player for England? Many of them, as shown in this World Cup once again, fail to show up for international tournaments.

The only player I would say that's been decent was Gary Cahill, Rooney, and possibly Jordan Henderson despite being over-run in midfield.

This is in comparison to Italy, who have a wealth of consistent international players and also Uruguay who do have excellent international players.

Quick Reply

Latest