The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 1
Bring a TV, but don't buy a licence until you know you can get a reception... I've heard that the reception is quite poor around the Monte area. I'm not sure about Glen Eyre or any other places. I had to live in UNITE for my first year and I thought that I'd be okay without a TV... lasted the first semester, but I really couldn't have survived the second without it, I don't think. :smile:

There is a firewall, since you'll be connected to the universities local area network. Extremely fast connection. Quite a few games are allowed... the only that I know for sure about are Counter-Strike and other Half-Life games. Probably UT and (hopefully) Q3. :smile:

More info: http://www.iss.soton.ac.uk/infra/halls/
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
"There is a firewall, since you'll be connected to the universities local area network. Extremely fast connection. Quite a few games are allowed... the only that I know for sure about are Counter-Strike and other Half-Life games. Probably UT and (hopefully) Q3."

Do you know how hard it is to get a port unblocked if you require?
Reply 3
Mm, I'm not sure exactly how it works. You'd probably have to ask one of the ISS ( http://www.iss.soton.ac.uk/ ) guys nicely. I've not been in halls yet, so I don't know how likely it is to convince them to open a port.

I've overheard some other people talking about "disabling" the blocked outward ports in lectures. They're blocked by default or something - to help prevent zombies or trojans (you can imagine how powerful a few zombies on the university network would be). The details that I know are very sketchy. I'll find out when I'm there, I guess -- or you can search around the ISS site for anything that might be interesting.
Reply 4
Do many rooms have aerial points?
Reply 5
PQ
not that I know of - mine didn't but I used to get a pretty good signal (block M glen - now chancellors court).

So it is worth taking a tv? I have applied for Catered accom in Courn (forget the rest of the name, why do they have such stupid names :rolleyes:) and my third choice in Gleyn Ayre catered. I dont want to pay for a license, take a tv all the way up to Southampton and find that I get no signal or at least a very crappy one :eek:

Also back to the point of firewalls. I play several games not listed. I don't plan to play them during the first year but when Im bored later into my course and less is going on I may wish to. If I email the techies are they happy to remove ports if its a well known game or are they touchy on changing the settings.

Thanks again :tsr2:
Reply 6
The recetion in wessex lane is not bad, but get an ariel amplifier.

The fire wall caused no problems to any of my games, or my mates. Not in halls anyway, its a different story on campus though, most are blocked. But I didn't play on campus, so I didnt care.

Besides, since when did a a little thing like a firewall stop anyone? Anyone clever enough can get round it.
Reply 7
I'm not going to buy a license til I get there, because I won't know my whole address until I've had my room allocation, right?

Surely they won't try and catch me out in the first 2 days...?
Reply 8
Im not sure whether im going to get a TV. I would miss my TV but i only really watch random rubbish, lost and ER. Not sure the price of the TV, aireal and liciense is worth the money. Whats the TV room like in South Hill??

xx
Reply 9
Fight the system... watch TV over the internet for free! and if its illegal claim diminished responsibilty :P

Latest

Trending

Trending