The Student Room Group

PGCE interview - questions to ask afterwards!

I have my PGCE (secondary English) interview coming up next week and I am really nervous. I’m based in Northern Ireland. I’m looking for some ideas for questions I could ask at the end of the interview - I am a bit stumped because I attended the open evening for the PGCE in question, and a lot of stock ‘end of interview’ questions have already been answered. What are some questions that would be good to ask?
Original post by cornpuddin
I have my PGCE (secondary English) interview coming up next week and I am really nervous. I’m based in Northern Ireland. I’m looking for some ideas for questions I could ask at the end of the interview - I am a bit stumped because I attended the open evening for the PGCE in question, and a lot of stock ‘end of interview’ questions have already been answered. What are some questions that would be good to ask?

Hello @cornpuddin

It's worth asking what the PGCE assignments would be linked to and check if there is a suitable reading list for these. It's also helpful to explore where your two school placements would be and what additional experiences each will offer you. For example, will you have the chance to participate in an assembly, in sports day, in parents evening, in a form group? Might you be able to teach lessons outside of Eng, ie Drama, Media Studies? Will you have access to teaching A-Level, or observing a Primary setting or transition group. (ie Yr 6 moving into Yr 7)

It's worth checking on the term times too.

Wishing you all the best for your interview!

Jane :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @cornpuddin

It's worth asking what the PGCE assignments would be linked to and check if there is a suitable reading list for these. It's also helpful to explore where your two school placements would be and what additional experiences each will offer you. For example, will you have the chance to participate in an assembly, in sports day, in parents evening, in a form group? Might you be able to teach lessons outside of Eng, ie Drama, Media Studies? Will you have access to teaching A-Level, or observing a Primary setting or transition group. (ie Yr 6 moving into Yr 7)

It's worth checking on the term times too.

Wishing you all the best for your interview!

Jane :smile:

Thank you so much Jane! Those sound like great questions - I could bring my hobbies/experience into it because I’d love to be able to participate in a school play / musical like I have as a TA in my current school.
Original post by cornpuddin
Thank you so much Jane! Those sound like great questions - I could bring my hobbies/experience into it because I’d love to be able to participate in a school play / musical like I have as a TA in my current school.

Hello @cornpuddin

YES!!! Please do bring in your hobbies and experience and ask if you'll have the opportunity to run an extra-curricular activity. Spending time with the young people in your care outside of the traditional way will really help to strengthen your classroom management and build good relationships and your reputation around school. It'll also help you to stand out at an interview for your first teaching job! I ran the film club in my school, so was able to do my marking while the kids watched the film, and we analysed it after. I also ran a Media workshop, where I got my graphic designer mates and a TV producer into meet the kids. Some of the best fun had in those sessions!

Good luck! Jane :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending