The Student Room Group

Is alcohol becoming less socially acceptable?

There seems to be a growing number of young people rejecting Britain's drinking culture.

A few decades ago drinking was something a huge majority of people did both in the pub and at home most nights. That died off about a decade or so ago, but the youth drinking and night scene are still strong.

Recently in the last few years though, a rejection of alcohol and it's culture seems to be growing and it's almost seeming to be heading the way of being treated as a bad, dirty habit by a growing number of youths.

Some are militant about it in the way some people are militant about feminism.

Does anyone else see this trend? I wonder how many people are just rejecting alcohol to be "cool" or trendy.
Reply 1
I stopped drinking before it was cool :cool:
Reply 2
Original post by Twinport53
I stopped drinking before it was cool :cool:

In Newcastle? Strong willpower there.
Lots of young people drink but the few who abstain are seen either as 'morally strong' or losers. It can go either way really.
Reply 4
Original post by james1211
In Newcastle? Strong willpower there.

Too right. Only so many 'Geordie shore wanna be' people you can put up with before you call it quits for your own sanity :rolleyes:
I don't think attitudes to alcohol has changed at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I can't say I've noticed a change.
Reply 7
I think that our culture has descended into embracing the worst that alcohol has to offer over recent years and as a result people are beginning to be offput by it.

I hope it results in the return of a more social drinking and pub culture as opposed to teetotalism.
Maybe a little because a lot of people are abusing it?
Reply 9
Original post by Mockery
I think that our culture has descended into embracing the worst that alcohol has to offer over recent years and as a result people are beginning to be offput by it.

I hope it results in the return of a more social drinking and pub culture as opposed to teetotalism.

I think there's some merit to that analysis. Binge drinking is huge now compared to a decade ago, that will undoubtedly put people off completely.

I'd agree that it would be nice if social drinking and pubs were bigger again.
messes with people's gains, so they stop
Not from my anecdotal experience.
Can't say I've noticed much of a change. I personally haven't drunk alcohol for 3 years now, but that's because I have no friends to drink with and I don't especially want to drink on my own. I never liked the taste, I only did it for the effect of being drunk.
If anything probably noticed an increase. I've always gone along with the line that if you need alcohol to have fun then you must be a boring person - but I accept that many disagree. Maybe there's less abuse in the older teenagers but I think the age at which people start drinking has dropped from 16/17 to 14/15 now.
I wouldn't say there has been much of a change. I don't drink because the majority of alcohol I have tried was pretty disgusting, but I don't know many other teenagers who don't drink.
nope i dont think so xD

Quick Reply

Latest