The Student Room Group

How hard will it be to find a part time job with no experience in anything?

No volunteering, work, or extracurricular. Will any retail/bars/fast food want to hire me? Should I start by getting some volunteering on my CV?
It depends on where you are applying for jobs. I didn't have a part-time job whilst I was at school and when I went to uni, I found I really struggled to get anything. It felt like all the jobs were taken by students with experience in that sector i.e. retail, waiting tables, KP, hotels etc.

The one thing I didn't look at, but I should have, was supermarket jobs. They are almost always vacancies and they can be relatively flexible if needed and they will take almost anyone. Waitrose was always pretty competitive, but Aldi, Lidl and Asda were much more accessible.

If you apply for these types of jobs in a smaller town or the countryside you are a lot more likely to get them, because their pool to choose from is much much smaller. If you can drive, you may also open up job possibilities, because you can get to service stations and out of town places that other people find harder to reach, so there's much less competition to apply.

Print off your CV and take it round to lots of different places. They often don't advertise their vacancies. If they aren't recruiting, they may still keep your CV on record.

In terms of retail jobs, you may find you can get something as a seasonal/christmas position. These seem to be far less competitive. This may or may not have the option to continue with them afterwards, but eitherway, it gives you experience that you can use to apply to another similar job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending