The Student Room Group

If I can't use Vicks every night (due to rebound effect) how do I unblock my nose?

Every night my nose gets very stuffy, not with mucus or anything it just seems to swell. I've had chronic rhinitis for the past 4 years and use nasonex (steroid nasal spray) everyday along with an antihistamine. I have polyps in a sinus but my nose is clear most of the time exept at night. The nasal spray provides longer term relief ie it doesn't unblock my nose straight away like a decongestant would. Recently though I can't get to sleep at night as my nose is so stuffy. Vicks is the only thing that works but I heard you can't use it every night so what else can I use?
Breathe right strips?
Reply 2
Original post by civilstudent
Every night my nose gets very stuffy, not with mucus or anything it just seems to swell. I've had chronic rhinitis for the past 4 years and use nasonex (steroid nasal spray) everyday along with an antihistamine. I have polyps in a sinus but my nose is clear most of the time exept at night. The nasal spray provides longer term relief ie it doesn't unblock my nose straight away like a decongestant would. Recently though I can't get to sleep at night as my nose is so stuffy. Vicks is the only thing that works but I heard you can't use it every night so what else can I use?

Do you know what your allergic to in particular? If your nose seems to block mostly during the night, could it be dust mites etc, if so changing your duvet etc will help reduce this.
Also have you tried using a saline wash to help clear your nose a little before using the steroid spray, therefore the effects of the spray will have more of an impact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZakRob
Do you know what your allergic to in particular? If your nose seems to block mostly during the night, could it be dust mites etc, if so changing your duvet etc will help reduce this.
Also have you tried using a saline wash to help clear your nose a little before using the steroid spray, therefore the effects of the spray will have more of an impact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no I don't know what I'm allergic to as all the allergy tests I had were negative it might not even be an allergy as I've not been able to identify a trigger it's non specific, yet antihistamines help so I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest