The Student Room Group

Fresh out of a toxic relationship. Thinking of how I (20M) should reconnect with a ex

Hi everyone, not too sure if this is even the right place to post this but I'll go for it anyway. I am fresh out of a relationship that went very badly over the past few months so I am extremely ready to get back out there. I met this girl in question 3 times, (lets call her Amy) in summer 2019 it was sort of a hook-up scenario but I think we liked each other and we talked every day but as she was a year older than me and was still sorting her future plans (university etc.) she didn't want to commit to anything and I respected that and to avoid any hurt we decided to leave things there. Forward to around June 2020 I got in the relationship that I'm just out of. For some more context I let my ex know about Amy so she knew who she was. (becomes relevant later)It just so happened then in September 2021 I was going to university in a different country and I found out Amy went to uni in the exact city I was going to. Although I was leaving my girlfriend at home at the time I was fully prepared for a distance relationship anyway so this had no real effect on me.Distance was going terrible but I always stayed loyal, then one night out of course I run in to Amy, (still around September 2021), we chatted for a bit and she asked did I want to go for a drink but I declined and just said I needed to find my friends, but I knew that if I went with her it could lead to something bad.Fast forward a couple of days/weeks (honestly cant remember too well) and Amy sent me a message that she was on a night out and so bored (the usual) and said did I want to come and meet her, even though she knew I was in a relationship. I said no because I'm loyal and all that. I didn't bother telling my ex because it would just cause a fight and I was doing the right thing anywayAnother couple days later she requests my Instagram again I think she might of unfollowed then re-followed or something? I said this to my ex then and she made me block her on Instagram but didn't mention snapchat so that's what I did.Then from September 2021 to right now I pretty much never seen or heard anything from Amy again. She turned her snapchat maps off for just me because it was still on my friends phone and that was pretty much it.In the past few days I unblocked her on Instagram and all the stuff of me and my ex is down and she accepted and followed me back, I also noticed she turned her snapchat maps back on for me and she lives about a 20 minute walk away.So yeah! Really struggling to know the right way to go about getting back in touch with her. I don't want her to think he's just texting me as a rebound or anything like that but she's a really nice girl and since we are in the same city I could see something maybe working between us now?Any/all advice really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I stopped reading at "I am fresh out of a relationship that went very badly over the past few months so I am extremely ready to get back out there"

As there is your issue. My advice would be to take some time to work on your self and grow and heal from the last relationship.
Reply 2
Original post by Teapot_Tom
I stopped reading at "I am fresh out of a relationship that went very badly over the past few months so I am extremely ready to get back out there"

As there is your issue. My advice would be to take some time to work on your self and grow and heal from the last relationship.

Could you at least hear my post out? Im very happy and healthy and I dont even know if I want something serious
Reply 3
You really want to get with someone who invited you out for drinks while you were still in relationship knowing it could lead to something? You don’t want her to think that you want her as a rebound? I think she’s waiting for her chance. If you really want to get with her for hookup, go for it but not for a serious relationship :rolleyes:.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, not too sure if this is even the right place to post this but I'll go for it anyway. I am fresh out of a relationship that went very badly over the past few months so I am extremely ready to get back out there. I met this girl in question 3 times, (lets call her Amy) in summer 2019 it was sort of a hook-up scenario but I think we liked each other and we talked every day but as she was a year older than me and was still sorting her future plans (university etc.) she didn't want to commit to anything and I respected that and to avoid any hurt we decided to leave things there. Forward to around June 2020 I got in the relationship that I'm just out of. For some more context I let my ex know about Amy so she knew who she was. (becomes relevant later)It just so happened then in September 2021 I was going to university in a different country and I found out Amy went to uni in the exact city I was going to. Although I was leaving my girlfriend at home at the time I was fully prepared for a distance relationship anyway so this had no real effect on me.Distance was going terrible but I always stayed loyal, then one night out of course I run in to Amy, (still around September 2021), we chatted for a bit and she asked did I want to go for a drink but I declined and just said I needed to find my friends, but I knew that if I went with her it could lead to something bad.Fast forward a couple of days/weeks (honestly cant remember too well) and Amy sent me a message that she was on a night out and so bored (the usual) and said did I want to come and meet her, even though she knew I was in a relationship. I said no because I'm loyal and all that. I didn't bother telling my ex because it would just cause a fight and I was doing the right thing anywayAnother couple days later she requests my Instagram again I think she might of unfollowed then re-followed or something? I said this to my ex then and she made me block her on Instagram but didn't mention snapchat so that's what I did.Then from September 2021 to right now I pretty much never seen or heard anything from Amy again. She turned her snapchat maps off for just me because it was still on my friends phone and that was pretty much it.In the past few days I unblocked her on Instagram and all the stuff of me and my ex is down and she accepted and followed me back, I also noticed she turned her snapchat maps back on for me and she lives about a 20 minute walk away.So yeah! Really struggling to know the right way to go about getting back in touch with her. I don't want her to think he's just texting me as a rebound or anything like that but she's a really nice girl and since we are in the same city I could see something maybe working between us now?Any/all advice really appreciated :smile:

Go for it, get in touch with her
Original post by Anonymous

you heard of this thing called paragraphs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending