The Student Room Group

Free GCSE's at 21?

Hello all!

I recently turned 21, and now I'm ready to return to study in order to reach my aim of studying Medicine at University in a few years time.

Rather than going down the "access" route, I'm opting to do this the "proper" way by re-doing all my GCSE's then my A Levels in due course.

I know about self-studying, and I'm getting ready to start this, but I would like to study in a college environment too if possible. I am eligible for GCSE English as I didn't originally gain a C or above, but I also want to do my Mathematics, but having gained a C already, I doubt I'm eligible for this. Are there any other GCSE courses I can study in a college for free? I'm not on any benefits just to add!
Reply 1
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=749829

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532329

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2164655&page=3&p=40205072&highlight=#post40205072

A levels and gcses will be expensive for you to do, what I gather from these threads. Access courses have decent people on them. I'm just saying do what's quicker, easier, less stressful you know? My lecturer did an access course and he's decent. It'll all end up the same or better in the long run as time is valuable when you're getting an education as you're going to want to start working.

Good luck with your choice, you must be bright anyways.
Medicine doesn't let people in who redid all their GCSEs. You can't do GCSEs for free if you're over 19.
Original post by xtinalouise
Hello all!

I recently turned 21, and now I'm ready to return to study in order to reach my aim of studying Medicine at University in a few years time.

Rather than going down the "access" route, I'm opting to do this the "proper" way by re-doing all my GCSE's then my A Levels in due course.

I know about self-studying, and I'm getting ready to start this, but I would like to study in a college environment too if possible. I am eligible for GCSE English as I didn't originally gain a C or above, but I also want to do my Mathematics, but having gained a C already, I doubt I'm eligible for this. Are there any other GCSE courses I can study in a college for free? I'm not on any benefits just to add!

Original post by ZeroName

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2164655&page=3&p=40205072&highlight=#post40205072

A levels and gcses will be expensive for you to do, what I gather from these threads. Access courses have decent people on them. I'm just saying do what's quicker, easier, less stressful you know? My lecturer did an access course and he's decent. It'll all end up the same or better in the long run as time is valuable when you're getting an education as you're going to want to start working.

Original post by Groundearth
Medicine doesn't let people in who redid all their GCSEs. You can't do GCSEs for free if you're over 19.

Can you do GCSE's for free if you self-study do them privately, and just sit the exams at a college, would be better instead of going to lessons imo. I doubt it though..
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Can you do GCSE's for free if you self-study do them privately, and just sit the exams at a college, would be better instead of going to lessons imo. I doubt it though..

You still have to pay for all the papers, and 10 or so GCSEs are going to cost thousands of pounds. Science and languages require equipment and extra examiners which need to paid for, English and humanities subjects have controlled assessments which need to be supervised and marked by teachers, etc. Schools and colleges mostly seek to make a profit from offering these services to private candidates, so the actual cost is likely to be a lot more than the costs of the papers on the exam board websites.
(edited 9 years ago)
ive just done gcse english language and maths through college. i didnt get a C grade at school. im a mature student, im 31 i also work full time and i didnt pay for them!
You still have to pay for all the papers, and 10 or so GCSEs are going to cost thousands of pounds, Science and languages require equipment and extra examiners which need to paid for, English and humanities subjects have controlled assessments which need to be supervised and marked by teachers, etc. Schools and colleges mostly seek t make a profit from offering these services to private candidates, so the actual cost is likely to be a lot more than the costs of the papers on the exam board websites.

Oh blimey, I was probably unclear - if you do IGCSEs in subjects where there are no cwk then you would only have to pay to take the papers, and the administration fee right? I see what you mean though.
Oh blimey, I was probably unclear - if you do IGCSEs in subjects where there are no cwk then you would only have to pay to take the papers, and the administration fee right? I see what you mean though.

In IGCSEs the coursework is replaced by an extra paper, so that's an extra paper to pay for in some subjects. The schools can charge whatever admin fee they want, so it's going to very expensive.
Original post by ZeroName

Thankyou. I just would feel more focused doing GCSE's at once then A Levels. I have looked into Access courses but I don't think it would suit me in all honesty, as I'd much prefer more intensive study.

You still have to pay for all the papers, and 10 or so GCSEs are going to cost thousands of pounds. Science and languages require equipment and extra examiners which need to paid for, English and humanities subjects have controlled assessments which need to be supervised and marked by teachers, etc. Schools and colleges mostly seek to make a profit from offering these services to private candidates, so the actual cost is likely to be a lot more than the costs of the papers on the exam board websites.

I've looked into self-study and gathered it would cost me around £50 per subject, which is absolutely great compared to the thousands they want from most colleges to re-do them.
i did an access course. they are fairly intensive.
In IGCSEs the coursework is replaced by an extra paper, so that's an extra paper to pay for in some subjects. The schools can charge whatever admin fee they want, so it's going to very expensive.

Ah ok thanks for your help!
Hello all!

Why don't you just enter yourself as a private candidate? Like IGCSE is in November it would be relatively easy to learn a few for then.
Are you planning on applying directly for medicine after you have finished A levels, or will you do a science-based degree and apply for graduate-entry medicine? I think the latter option is your best option. Med schools can afford to be unbelievably picky because they get so many applicants, the very fact you've redone GCSEs might count against you. I think you should ask around in the medical forum, people there will be able to advise you on the best route into medicine.
Reply 13
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello all!

By saying this do you mean enrol on the college course, or do you mean to pay the college to let you sit the exam or do you mean that the college enter you for free.

Also if thats you in your pp, you're so hot.
Reply 15
Self study of GCSE's would be no problem. A-levels may pose an issue. You'd need self discipline. The access route is the one that makes most sense. If Oxbridge accept them, I'm not sure why you wouldn't.
By saying this do you mean enrol on the college course, or do you mean to pay the college to let you sit the exam or do you mean that the college enter you for free.

Also if thats you in your pp, you're so hot.

I'd most likely pay the college a fee for them to enter me into exams.

And, thankyou for the hot comment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending