The Student Room Group

Mature student - vet science

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I am thinking of studying Veterinary science (preferably Liverpool.) However I'm 21 and have been looking at fast track A-levles or an access to HE as I really don't see myself attending college full time for the next two years. I have been in touch with Liverpool and they said the access to HE is for adults who have been out of education for 5 years. And have additionally spoken to some vet friends who have said universities prefer A-levels as an oppose to Access to HE.

I had a bereavement during my A-levels which led to me not taking my exams. So though I have only been out of college for 3 years, I can't really count my A-levels regardless. Please can anyone offer any advice on how to start my path on getting into uni. I feel quite out of my depth but have been doing lots of research.

Thank you!
I did an access to HE course (I’ve just turned 21) and received offers from HK, Bristol (where I’m currently a student), Nottingham foundation and an interview from UCLan but I withdrew.
You can defo do them but different unis have different requirements as a result so you just need to contact them. Tbh a levels will be long as expensive due to the practical component involved in the science ones x
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Hello, I am a mature student and sitting my A levels I decided this over HE as it opens you up to more possibilities for uni. You have to do biology and chemistry. chemistry is difficult due to the massive jump and it's probably just as expensive and time consuming as HE but a 2 year course. If you haven't got a full level 3 there maybe ways you can get this funded. Deffo do some research. Good luck. Check what the unis require as you may need to resit some GCSES as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Zoe101!
Hello, I am a mature student and sitting my A levels I decided this over HE as it opens you up to more possibilities for uni. You have to do biology and chemistry. chemistry is difficult due to the massive jump and it's probably just as expensive and time consuming as HE but a 2 year course. If you haven't got a full level 3 there maybe ways you can get this funded. Deffo do some research. Good luck. Check what the unis require as you may need to resit some GCSES as well.
Hello, which college are you attending? I am 19 and I applied to several colleges, but they had an age restriction (16-18). Could you tell me about the fees too. I want to do Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
Hi!
I am currently doing the HE access course in vet science via Learn direct, I am 28 and have been given a conditional offer to Bristol. my A - levels were not very good but I did get them, after years of employment and chasing money, I have decided to throw myself in the deep end and go to Uni. I love the course, it is quite hard to study with no other student support and only tutor support online but I worked from home for 3 years so I am used to the lonely work life! My Alevels never would have got me into uni, this access course is the only reason i have an offer.. I also found A levels really hard because the work was not relevant to anything i enjoyed!
Good Luck :smile:
Original post by ALEreapp
I did an access to HE course (I’ve just turned 21) and received offers from HK, Bristol (where I’m currently a student), Nottingham foundation and an interview from UCLan but I withdrew.
You can defo do them but different unis have different requirements as a result so you just need to contact them. Tbh a levels will be long as expensive due to the practical component involved in the science ones x
I was quite set on Liverpool as it's super close to home, however I have spoken to them and they have suggested that I retake 3 GCSE's as I only have two GCSE's at grade 6 or above to meet their criteria. I would then be eligible for their year 0 course. Which would take me 2 years (GCSE and year 0) rather than sitting one year of access to HE, very frustrating however I am going to have a look around and see what other Universities requirements are. Thank you for your help :smile:)
Original post by BethYoung28
Hi!
I am currently doing the HE access course in vet science via Learn direct, I am 28 and have been given a conditional offer to Bristol. my A - levels were not very good but I did get them, after years of employment and chasing money, I have decided to throw myself in the deep end and go to Uni. I love the course, it is quite hard to study with no other student support and only tutor support online but I worked from home for 3 years so I am used to the lonely work life! My Alevels never would have got me into uni, this access course is the only reason i have an offer.. I also found A levels really hard because the work was not relevant to anything i enjoyed!
Good Luck :smile:
Hi, congratulations on your offer! My A-levels are not very good also. I had no clue that I would want to be a vet fast forward a few years... Thank you, I will have a look into your course, I was quite adamant about Liverpool uni however it looks like I may need to resit some GCSE'S and a year 0 course whereas a access to HE will save me time and like you said, be relevant to what I want to go on and study.
Reply 7
Original post by Araad
Hello, which college are you attending? I am 19 and I applied to several colleges, but they had an age restriction (16-18). Could you tell me about the fees too. I want to do Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
I'm at a local college. Best recommendation would be to call or email your local colleges and explain your age and that your wanting to do A Levels or HE and they will put you in the best position. I unfortunately didn't get into vet school and was rejected from all of them. So rather than waste a year of doing nothing and then reapplying I have now applied to a vet science degree with a foundation year. providing I can get a 2:1, 3 C's in my A levels and the additional funding I can then progress onto the 5 year vet med. A level fees were around £3,000 for each one. however if you have't completed a level 3 course I believe this is free and you can apply for student funding to help with these costs.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending