The Student Room Group

Foundation Years & Access Courses

Hello! I thought I'd ask here because I've been experiencing some confusion in regards to which I should do.

As of 27th March, 2024, I am a 21 year-old man with nearly four years experience as a Communications Engineer in the Armed Forces, as well as having written a self-published fiction book. I want to enter university to study English and Creative Writing, however I did not go to college but I passed all of my GCSE's (mostly the equivalent of B's as my exams were graded with numbers).

I don't know whether I should do an Access Course or try straight for a Foundation Year, and I'm unclear on the entry requirements for both. What should I do/what can I do with the grades and experience I have? Do I need to do an Access Course first or can I try straight for a Foundation Year at a university?

Thank you guys for helping x
Original post by LoganBeadnellDav
Hello! I thought I'd ask here because I've been experiencing some confusion in regards to which I should do.
As of 27th March, 2024, I am a 21 year-old man with nearly four years experience as a Communications Engineer in the Armed Forces, as well as having written a self-published fiction book. I want to enter university to study English and Creative Writing, however I did not go to college but I passed all of my GCSE's (mostly the equivalent of B's as my exams were graded with numbers).
I don't know whether I should do an Access Course or try straight for a Foundation Year, and I'm unclear on the entry requirements for both. What should I do/what can I do with the grades and experience I have? Do I need to do an Access Course first or can I try straight for a Foundation Year at a university?
Thank you guys for helping x

Hi I was in a similar predicament this time last year. My final decision was to do the access course mainly because it’s £6000 cheaper than the foundation year at university and also because I had already done my gcse maths and English at the same college and did quite well. For access courses the only requirement for mine was grade 4/C or above for both gcse maths and English. I’m doing the science access course (physics, chemistry and biology) , so far I’m really enjoying the course and have already got 21 distinctions. The only thing that I will mention is that not all universities accept the access courses so definitely check that if you decide on access. The foundation year is ok but you will have to pay the full £9250 for it and you will have to remain at that university you do the foundation year in as foundation years aren’t transferable if you change your mind.
Original post by KazStudies
Hi I was in a similar predicament this time last year. My final decision was to do the access course mainly because it’s £6000 cheaper than the foundation year at university and also because I had already done my gcse maths and English at the same college and did quite well. For access courses the only requirement for mine was grade 4/C or above for both gcse maths and English. I’m doing the science access course (physics, chemistry and biology) , so far I’m really enjoying the course and have already got 21 distinctions. The only thing that I will mention is that not all universities accept the access courses so definitely check that if you decide on access. The foundation year is ok but you will have to pay the full £9250 for it and you will have to remain at that university you do the foundation year in as foundation years aren’t transferable if you change your mind.

Such good advice lad thank you so much! I’m leaning toward access course as it seems a lot of unis won’t have me in position as it is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending