The Student Room Group

Hair thinning on top - stress induced?

So as I approached the end of my final year exams - my sister pointed out to me that my hair was thinning at the top. Needless to say at the time I was under an immense amount of stress trying to obtain the best grade(s) I could possibly get.

Now stress related hair loss is something my sister says she often experiences - so I assumed perhaps the same was for me. However my exams ended a month and a half ago, and my hair still appears to be rather thin, it's very noticeable under right light. The only thing giving me hope that I may not be balding just yet, is the fact that my hairline has not receded at all... yet.

Naturally I'm a bit concerned,I'm sure no male under 40 likes the idea of being bald. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips I could use to help reverse or at least stop thinning? Like perhaps a useful supplement or habit. I've read a little on high protein diets and such.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Most balding in men is genetic Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It probably takes a few months for the hair to go back to the way it was. I read somewhere that the condition of you hair reflects how healthy it was 3 months back.

In the mean time I'd suggest to stop using ANY hair products like gel / spray / mousse / wax etc if you use those. Also avoid heat-styling and wash with lukewarm water (which I'm sure most people do anyway). Heat and hair products ruin hair, avoid them at all costs.

If you have long hair then do not tie it too tightly as certain hairstyles can also cause hair loss.

Also, silk pillows reduce friction so they're good if you're wanting to take an extra step.
Reply 3
You should definitely read into it if your hair continues to thin, just so that you have an idea of what it is that you're dealing with and where to go from there.
Telogen effluvium is the name of a condition where you have general hair shedding and it's usually the result of stress (which is likely in your case). However, for some people, it's due to iron deficiency anaemia, so I would definitely recommend taking some iron supplements (no more than 2 tablets a day unless you've had a blood test and been advised otherwise by your GP).
Also, avoid harsh shampoos and frequent hair washes. Look at the ingredients in the shampoo you're using. The harshest detergents in shampoos are lauryl sulphates and sulfosuccinates, so avoid using these types of shampoo on your hair every day - try to limit hair washes to just once every 2 or 3 days.
To work out whether your hair loss is genetic, take a look at the Norwood scale: http://www.greathairtransplants.com/images/norwood_scale.jpg This will show you the expected patterns for someone with male pattern hair loss (a receding hairline and hair loss at the vertex - the top of your head - are early signs of this). This type of hair loss is due to having high levels of DHT in those particular areas, so if you feel that this is more likely to be your type of hair thinning, then you can try something like Regaine (Minoxidil) or Finasteride, bearing in mind that there are disadvantages to these, also.
I feel like I've overloaded you with a lot of information so I'll stop here. Do ask if you'd like more information on any of these conditions or if you're still finding it difficult to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
Reply 4
Minoxidil tends to be effective only on the crown of the head.
Reply 5
Original post by pane123
Minoxidil tends to be effective only on the crown of the head.

Minoxidil causes the hair to shed before it begins to grow back, which usually won't work in the frontal lobe area because that's where most of the miniaturised follicles are, but OP only has hair thinning at the vertex anyway.
Have you tried Minoxidil before? Just out of curiosity since I have no personal experience with it.
Reply 6
Original post by Petulia
Minoxidil causes the hair to shed before it begins to grow back, which usually won't work in the frontal lobe area because that's where most of the miniaturised follicles are, but OP only has hair thinning at the vertex anyway.
Have you tried Minoxidil before? Just out of curiosity since I have no personal experience with it.

Would rather make this anonymous lol, but yes I do. I can't say if it's working, as I decided to start using it before the balding process started. My family's history of hair loss means I'm almost certain to lose it sooner rather than later.
Reply 7
Original post by pane123
Would rather make this anonymous lol, but yes I do. I can't say if it's working, as I decided to start using it before the balding process started. My family's history of hair loss means I'm almost certain to lose it sooner rather than later.

How long have you been using it for? It should make your hair shed quite fast for the first couple of weeks, which is why a lot of people prefer
not to use it. Have you tried Finasteride? It's orally ingested so it's not as safe as Minoxidil (and it has a few negative side effects) but it's worth a try.
Reply 8
Original post by Petulia
How long have you been using it for? It should make your hair shed quite fast for the first couple of weeks, which is why a lot of people prefer
not to use it. Have you tried Finasteride? It's orally ingested so it's not as safe as Minoxidil (and it has a few negative side effects) but it's worth a try.

It made it shed a bit, but my hair loss isn't really that bad so it was fine for me. I guess a lot of people will only start to use minoxidil after losing quite a bit of their hair, and shedding more is far from ideal.
Reply 9
Original post by Petulia
You should definitely read into it if your hair continues to thin, just so that you have an idea of what it is that you're dealing with and where to go from there.
Telogen effluvium is the name of a condition where you have general hair shedding and it's usually the result of stress (which is likely in your case). However, for some people, it's due to iron deficiency anaemia, so I would definitely recommend taking some iron supplements (no more than 2 tablets a day unless you've had a blood test and been advised otherwise by your GP).

After spending the whole day researching this stuff, I definitely plan on investing in a couple vitamin supplements, can at least say they won't hurt me if taken at recommended amount.

Also, avoid harsh shampoos and frequent hair washes.

I'm also gonna stop this, I shampoo'd a lot more frequently once the thinning was pointed out, and it definitely hasn't done any wonders.

To work out whether your hair loss is genetic, take a look at the Norwood scale: http://www.greathairtransplants.com/images/norwood_scale.jpg

I definitely can't rule out a genetic influence, it could be early days after all. However fortunately at this point in time the hair loss is inconsistent with Norwood scale, and my hairline hasn't receded.

you can try something like Regaine (Minoxidil) or Finasteride, bearing in mind that there are disadvantages to these, also..

I've learnt a lot about this today, particularly the fact that you're pretty screwed once you stop using it. =/
Original post by Yawn11
After spending the whole day researching this stuff, I definitely plan on investing in a couple vitamin supplements, can at least say they won't hurt me if taken at recommended amount.

I'm also gonna stop this, I shampoo'd a lot more frequently once the thinning was pointed out, and it definitely hasn't done any wonders.

I definitely can't rule out a genetic influence, it could be early days after all. However fortunately at this point in time the hair loss is inconsistent with Norwood scale, and my hairline hasn't receded.

I've learnt a lot about this today, particularly the fact that you're pretty screwed once you stop using it. =/

I take biotin, MSM and folic acid for hair growth (not because of hair loss issues, just a haircut that I'm regretting!), however I'm not sure how these would affect a male. Biotin (vitamin B7) and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) help skin, hair and nails, and MSM is also used to help joint pains, but they can cause breakouts of cystic acne. Folic acid helps estrogen follow the right path so that it doesn't become toxic, which helps with hormonal acne, but it also helps in DNA replication which is why it's been linked to hair growth. The estrogen part might be off putting, however.
Finasteride can be dangerous to females who come into contact with it (it would also be dangerous for your sperm to come in contact with a female partner while you're taking this drug), and it would only prevent the hair growth completely if you stick with it for 3+ years.
So I guess you could try some home remedies like the inversion method which just entails massaging warm hair oil into your scalp and hanging upside on your sofa/bed for about two minutes to increase circulation at your scalp and thus stimulate the follicles. Do this once a day for a week and see if there's any hair growth. It has always worked best for women with Afro-Carribbean hair from what I know, but it's worth a try! And don't waste your money on the likes of Alpecin caffeine shampoo - they've only ever tested the hair growth benefits of it on mice.
Reply 11
Original post by Petulia
I take biotin, MSM and folic acid for hair growth (not because of hair loss issues, just a haircut that I'm regretting!), however I'm not sure how these would affect a male. Biotin (vitamin B7) and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) help skin, hair and nails, and MSM is also used to help joint pains, but they can cause breakouts of cystic acne. Folic acid helps estrogen follow the right path so that it doesn't become toxic, which helps with hormonal acne, but it also helps in DNA replication which is why it's been linked to hair growth. The estrogen part might be off putting, however.
Finasteride can be dangerous to females who come into contact with it (it would also be dangerous for your sperm to come in contact with a female partner while you're taking this drug), and it would only prevent the hair growth completely if you stick with it for 3+ years.
So I guess you could try some home remedies like the inversion method which just entails massaging warm hair oil into your scalp and hanging upside on your sofa/bed for about two minutes to increase circulation at your scalp and thus stimulate the follicles. Do this once a day for a week and see if there's any hair growth. It has always worked best for women with Afro-Carribbean hair from what I know, but it's worth a try! And don't waste your money on the likes of Alpecin caffeine shampoo - they've only ever tested the hair growth benefits of it on mice.

You must really be on hair stuff cause most what you've said is a lot of the stuff I've come across lol

Well my sister gave me a bottle of biotin, I had no idea what it was, she just said she hadn't really used it and wanted to start off with a lower dose. Having read up on it, and watched like a hundred youtube videos, it does seem to be effective. Also gave caster oil, which I'll try to use, but can see myself being lazy with. MSM is another recommendation that came up in majority of videos I watched, admittedly it is new to me, but there does seem to be quite a few health benefits to it. So I'm gonna be on the look out for it when I go shops tomorrow, if I don't see it I guess I may order off Amazon.

Cheers for the advice. It's comforting to receive some sort of confirmation for these options. Hopefully I'll start seeing positive results within the next month or two. I'll be sure to send an update.
Actually there's something much better than MSM that was only discovered recently, stabilised keratin.
cynatine HNS, which is manufactured using a patented process that enables the keratin molecule to be absorbed

Only a few supplements have it in though.

Also, forget taking just biotin, take a whole b complex, high quality one, to deal with stress induced hair loss.

For topicals, use triple refined emu oil. A new product was released just last month, that isn't still available in the UK unless you paid massive international postage, that contains proanthocyanidin b2 and copper peptides, the first time they have been put into one product.
it is Anti-Aging Rejuvenating Scalp Serum , it has stem cells in it extracted from trees also. No other product like it on the market, but it still isn't available to get in the UK.

Also, take tocotrienols, they combat baldness and thinning.

Also resveratrol, only a high quality version, can combat baldness directly.

I used to take MSM all the time, it does nothing for most men. That is the cold hard truth.
Original post by Petulia
then you can try something like Regaine (Minoxidil) or Finasteride, bearing in mind that there are disadvantages to these, also.

You can use a much more natural version of rogaine.

Dr. Whitfield, of Oxford University, has found that this mechanism of Rogaine can be readily replicated using an internal combination of ingredients of which the BCAA’s form a foundation. He has conducted Phase 2 trials on this BCAA based, oral intervention which has yielded astoundingly positive results.

BCAA are branched chain amino acids , Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine

A mix of
Carnitine-
Branched Chain Amino Acids- build muscle, improve energy levels, protection of liver function.
Niacin-

could be used as a more natural alternative to minoxidil
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by democracyforum
Actually there's something much better than MSM that was only discovered recently, stabilised keratin.
cynatine HNS, which is manufactured using a patented process that enables the keratin molecule to be absorbed

Only a few supplements have it in though.

Also, forget taking just biotin, take a whole b complex, high quality one, to deal with stress induced hair loss.

For topicals, use triple refined emu oil. A new product was released just last month, that isn't still available in the UK unless you paid massive international postage, that contains proanthocyanidin b2 and copper peptides, the first time they have been put into one product.
it is Anti-Aging Rejuvenating Scalp Serum , it has stem cells in it extracted from trees also. No other product like it on the market, but it still isn't available to get in the UK.

Also, take tocotrienols, they combat baldness and thinning.

Also resveratrol, only a high quality version, can combat baldness directly.

I used to take MSM all the time, it does nothing for most men. That is the cold hard truth.

Do you know anywhere I could read into cynatine HNS? And have you tried it? I was taking biotin and MSM at the same time for about two weeks and one of them gave me really bad cystic acne (worst I've ever had) but I couldn't work out which one so I've come off them both until my skin clears up again, but I wasn't able to use them long enough to see if there was any significant hair growth. If you're prone to breakouts then they're not the best option.
Have you tried Finasteride or any other kind of 5a reductase inhibitor? (assuming you suffer from thinning hair / pattern baldness)
Minoxidil is supposed to be pretty good as the users above have pointed out.

In the meanwhile, if you're looking for a more natural remedy, try applying castor oil to your hair.
Original post by Petulia
Do you know anywhere I could read into cynatine HNS? And have you tried it? I was taking biotin and MSM at the same time for about two weeks and one of them gave me really bad cystic acne (worst I've ever had) but I couldn't work out which one so I've come off them both until my skin clears up again, but I wasn't able to use them long enough to see if there was any significant hair growth. If you're prone to breakouts then they're not the best option.
Have you tried Finasteride or any other kind of 5a reductase inhibitor? (assuming you suffer from thinning hair / pattern baldness)

I have tried apple polyphenols. They are more natural and more effective.
Plus the company that sells it gives a refund if you see no hair regrowth ! So I thought I may as well try them.

About cynatine HNS, it is relatively new. But it does the same thing as MSM but safer, because MSM can detox heavy metals in your body and make some people, not all, quite ill.
This is all I can find out about it.

The ability to convert natural keratin into a functional form that is bio-available to the body is a recent advancement. Cynatine HNS® is solubilized enabling it to be both bioactive and bioavailable in the body, which allows it to bind with hair. Cynatine HNS® has been clinically proven to reduce hair loss from washing, improve hair strength and improve the brightness and luster of hair.*

a recent breakthrough in beauty supplementation.* Cynatine® HNS Keratin is manufactured using a patented process that makes it both bioactive and bioavailable.*

MSM supposedly converts to Keratin in the body, since most of your hair is keratin. But it doesn't work for so many people and has side effects so I simply no longer take it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by democracyforum

MSM supposedly converts to Keratin in the body, since most of your hair is keratin. But it doesn't work for so many people and has side effects so I simply no longer take it.

First I've heard anyone say anything bad about MSM. Isn't just a multivitamin that contains natural essentials? I can't see how it could have side effects :s-smilie: unless one takes more than recommended daily amount.
Original post by facetious
Minoxidil is supposed to be pretty good as the users above have pointed out.

In the meanwhile, if you're looking for a more natural remedy, try applying castor oil to your hair.

Minoxidil seems to exacerbate things once you stop using it. I have some castor oil, how often should one apply it?
Original post by Yawn11
So as I approached the end of my final year exams - my sister pointed out to me that my hair was thinning at the top. Needless to say at the time I was under an immense amount of stress trying to obtain the best grade(s) I could possibly get.

Now stress related hair loss is something my sister says she often experiences - so I assumed perhaps the same was for me. However my exams ended a month and a half ago, and my hair still appears to be rather thin, it's very noticeable under right light. The only thing giving me hope that I may not be balding just yet, is the fact that my hairline has not receded at all... yet.

Naturally I'm a bit concerned,I'm sure no male under 40 likes the idea of being bald. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips I could use to help reverse or at least stop thinning? Like perhaps a useful supplement or habit. I've read a little on high protein diets and such.

Thanks in advance.

balding brah... sounds like diffuse thinning. get on propecia asap. I've been on it for 8 months, it has stabalised my loss
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by theonelink
balding brah... sounds like diffuse thinning. get on propecia asap. I've been on it for 8 months, it has stabalised my loss

My hair thinning doesn't feel that serious for me to try that yet. Not a fan of the potential side effects either.

Quick Reply

Latest