The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Loafer
Ive been given Hampstead, i replied saying NO THANKS! Now I just wait and hope I get a place somewhere better.

Are they going to try to allocate you some accomodation or do you have to look yourself?

Why dont you try intercollegiate halls?

What were your choices on your form?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
For your purposes, i.e. Uni accomodation for Kings, Hampstead is crap.
Otherwise its great.
Reply 22
kirstinx
Are they going to try to allocate you some accomodation or do you have to look yourself?

Why dont you try intercollegiate halls?

What were your choices on your form?

Yeah, they'll try and allocate me another place. However, its highly unlikely, especially since Im only willing to stay in self-catered accommodation.

1. Stamford Street
2. Great Dover Street
3. Brian Creamer House
4. The Rectory
5. Hampstead

That was the order in which I ranked them on my form; after 5...I just banged all the other choices in any order. I dont want intercollegiate halls because they are all catered.

Im waiting for a couple of weeks to see if I do hear anything from KCL, if I dont...then il get cracking with sorting my own private accommodation.
Have fun living in private accommodation in your first year whilst everyone else is having parties with their friends from halls etc...
Reply 24
Well partying isnt the main reason im going down all the way to London for. I want somewhere central, where I can live in peace and get cracking with my studies. I dont want the hassle of travelling for hours every day. Ideally I would like KCL accommodation, but its really not the end of the world if I dont get it. If that means no partying with friends from halls then so be it. Plus I'd like to think im quite social, and would be able to make friends on my course and from societies/clubs without much probs. If not then I can always come back to Manchester every now and then to party with my REAL friends :biggrin:
Well, the first year of most courses is disproportionately easy compared to the 2nd and 3rd years. It's just my personal opinion that living in private accommodation in your first year would really not be fun. Lots of people describe their first year at university in halls and the like as one of the best years of their life...

If you can get a good price on somewhere central, then that would be cool I suppose... you'll have to make a concerted effort to make friends with people on your course and at freshers events though. :smile:
Reply 26
So anyone actually going to be living at hampstead...?
Yep I will, even though I'll apparantly have to share a room
Reply 28
stevey_boy how come you have to share did you apply late or was King's your insurance or did you go in through Clearing?
Reply 29
Ok guys, theres not really much we can do about getting hampstead so lets just accept it n look at the positive stuff....we'll get to meet loadsa ppl...apparantly loadsa stuff happens at hampstead...er...we get the most of uni life...it might end up being really good fun...
Reply 30
Nez
Is anyone actually going to accept hampstead or already has accpeted it??! I really dont want to accept my place but i dont wanna be stuck finding myself private accomodation...:frown:

i have.
FFS! will everybody stop complaining about Hampstead! i can't remember who it was posted a really long post on here earlier about how good Hampstead is, but whoever it was is 100% right. You'll be in a brilliant area and unless any of you are planning on becoming millionaires extremely quickly then you won't be living anywhere as nice as Hampstead for quite some time.

the commute really isn't that big a deal. just strap on a pair and deal with it for christ's sake.you're gonna have to live further out in your 2nd and 3rd years so you may as well get used to the commute now.
if you're lucky enough to end up in Lady Chapman or Cameron buildings then you'll most likely have an enormous room.
i'm sure the campus services n committe etc will have some good stuff planned for freshers as well. last year the hampstead pub crawl was particularly excellent. make sure you find 'the hollybush' at some point on Holly Bush Hill its an extremely nice pub, often frequented by Matt Lucas and i even saw Sean Bean in there once.

last year in Hampstead was, cheesy as it sounds, one of the best years of my life and i wouldn't exchange it for anything. i don't care if SSA people have the luxury of being able to stagger accross the bridge with a hangover for morning lectures. just get the freakin' tube and grab a coffee on the way, its a learning curve you'll have to get used to at some point. plus its much less expensive than the other halls, and if you're from anywhere north of london then its extremely easy to get to off the motorway, instead of having to drive through central london which is pain in arse.

so please, if you've got an offer from Hampstead don't be a complete pussy and just accept it. trust me, by the end of the year you'll be glad you chose it. don't even entertain the possibility of private accomodation because you'll end up with no mates and twice the debt you'd otherwise get yourself into.don't think about, just do it. Hampstead, is the ****ing shiz. nuff said.
Reply 32
By what you people have said about Hampstead it doesn't seem bad at all and me being a Clearing person I sure am not going to get SSA and GDSA so I wouldn't mind getting Hampestead at all!
Now I'm just waiting to hear what I got :s-smilie:
Xaphania
You could get the tube from lambeth north station, i think its the bakerloo and circle line. Its much quicker than buses.

No way!
Get the jubille line at finchley róad (it takes you 10 mins to get there by bus otherwise its a 10 min walk) and then get out at waterloo if your lectures are at waterloo or get out at Westminstre and take the circle line to go to Temple if you´re at strand. :rolleyes: It took me maybe 35 mins everyday to go to lectures and 30 with no traffic. You can just take bus number 13 directly to strand and that will take you 40 mins max.

And Hampstead is a reaaaaally nice place to live...my room was absolutely MASSIVE..as in maybe 10 by 6 m ! The kitchen was ok, as were the toiletts and the buliding is really nice. You´re 2 mins away from Hampstead Heath so that was good if yo wanted to go play football\running\walk. And with Hampstead you can bring home pretty much anyone you want and they wont say anything while at Halls theyre soooo fussy and you need a written note, and you have to bring them before 9 pm blah blah.

And theres a night bus that goes all around central london that leaves you in FRONT of halls...and usually theres always loads of people in the bus going back to hampstead so youll never go home alone.

And KCH is on the border of Brixton...:s-smilie:
kingsmonkey
FFS! will everybody stop complaining about Hampstead! i can't remember who it was posted a really long post on here earlier about how good Hampstead is, but whoever it was is 100% right. You'll be in a brilliant area and unless any of you are planning on becoming millionaires extremely quickly then you won't be living anywhere as nice as Hampstead for quite some time.

the commute really isn't that big a deal. just strap on a pair and deal with it for christ's sake.you're gonna have to live further out in your 2nd and 3rd years so you may as well get used to the commute now.
if you're lucky enough to end up in Lady Chapman or Cameron buildings then you'll most likely have an enormous room.
i'm sure the campus services n committe etc will have some good stuff planned for freshers as well. last year the hampstead pub crawl was particularly excellent. make sure you find 'the hollybush' at some point on Holly Bush Hill its an extremely nice pub, often frequented by Matt Lucas and i even saw Sean Bean in there once.

last year in Hampstead was, cheesy as it sounds, one of the best years of my life and i wouldn't exchange it for anything. i don't care if SSA people have the luxury of being able to stagger accross the bridge with a hangover for morning lectures. just get the freakin' tube and grab a coffee on the way, its a learning curve you'll have to get used to at some point. plus its much less expensive than the other halls, and if you're from anywhere north of london then its extremely easy to get to off the motorway, instead of having to drive through central london which is pain in arse.

so please, if you've got an offer from Hampstead don't be a complete pussy and just accept it. trust me, by the end of the year you'll be glad you chose it. don't even entertain the possibility of private accomodation because you'll end up with no mates and twice the debt you'd otherwise get yourself into.don't think about, just do it. Hampstead, is the ****ing shiz. nuff said.

I totally agree with Tom...stop complaining ffs...35 mins is seriously not a lot...wait until your 2nd year where you realise youcan only affor 140 a week and have to either a)live in some tiny skanky flat sharing with random people near kings or b)live further out but have a nice spacious flat. Most of you will choose b and will end up further out than Hampstead!
Wild Thing

And KCH is on the border of Brixton...:s-smilie:

KCH isn't that far away from Brixton, but it's nearer to Dulwich than anything. In any case KCH and Hampstead both have excellent social atmospheres.
Reply 36
sounds good guys. glad i accepted it now. btw, is the hall itself surrounded by its own grounds. in all the pictures ive seen it looks to be in a really nice spot.
Baadshah
sounds good guys. glad i accepted it now. btw, is the hall itself surrounded by its own grounds. in all the pictures ive seen it looks to be in a really nice spot.

yes it is. if you're on the reception side of campus there's the Principle's Lawn at the back of Maynard building. you're not allowed ball games or anything on there which is a bit lame, but come summer its still a real nice spot to sit and chill. there's also a small courtyard area with trees and such in the middle of Maynard/Lady Chapman/Duden Brown etc. The whole place has a very tranquil feel to it. Before i came to London i wasn't aware there were areas like Hampstead that even existed. its very green and feels suburban and safe. However the concrete jungle of the city is just a tube ride away.
Reply 38
kingsmonkey
yes it is. if you're on the reception side of campus there's the Principle's Lawn at the back of Maynard building. you're not allowed ball games or anything on there which is a bit lame, but come summer its still a real nice spot to sit and chill. there's also a small courtyard area with trees and such in the middle of Maynard/Lady Chapman/Duden Brown etc. The whole place has a very tranquil feel to it. Before i came to London i wasn't aware there were areas like Hampstead that even existed. its very green and feels suburban and safe. However the concrete jungle of the city is just a tube ride away.

sounding better and better. but the thing i really want to know is if it isolates you a bit from the rest of whats going on at kings cuz its so far out?
man. what's going on at King's will become of little relevance once you form your own group of mates from campus, which believe me you will. Hampstead will have its own freshers events n stuff and i suggest you balance out the Hampstead ones with the other freshers events. it just makes sense to make as many friends as possible from halls because you'll see them more often etc. you'll still have a social life outside Hampstead, don't get me wrong. but travelling into the centre really isn't that big a deal. if you're going on a night out or whatever just plan ahead.there's Atlanta and Teheran Super accross the other side of Finchley road where you can stock up on booze for a warm-up, or there's Hampstead bar which is cheaper than anywhere in the area and often do warm-up night drinks offers etc on weekends. the location was never an issue with me.
plus, believe it or not but there are a lot more nights you can go to than just the ones at Tutus etc, and most of them will be a lot better as well.
for me it was always ideal cause you're only a couple of stops from Camden if you walk to Hampstead tube.then there's the 13/N13 bus which runs all night and goes through the centre/oxford street etc so there isn't really a lot that's out of reach.don't fret. it'll all be good. believe.

Latest