The Student Room Group

Getting married secretly?

I am just wondering if it is possible to get married here in the UK without having to tell our parents and changing our names.
If you're not underage then you don't need parental permission. No need to change names too. Just make sure you have witnesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by donutaud15
If you're not underage then you don't need parental permission. No need to change names too. Just make sure you have witnesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the legal age?
How old are you?
Original post by Anonymous
What is the legal age?

18 in England and Wales, 16 in Scotland (hence going to Gretna Green).
I'm curious, what's your situation OP? I wanted to do the same few years back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Le Nombre
How old are you?

I am 19 and she is 18, we are going to wait a while yet.
Reply 7
Are you both British?

Basically, you go the registry office and pay a fee. It was £20 when I got married, but it might be more now.

They display your details for a couple of weeks, which is the civil version of calling the Banns. You can make an appointment to go back at the end of the period and get married.

Like someone else said, you need to take two people with you, but that's it. You pay the registry office fees (It was about £50 when I did it) and that's it.
Reply 8
I'm curious, what's your situation OP? I wanted to do the same few years back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically this might sound a little immature to some people but me and my girlfriend really love each other a lot and we just dream of getting married as soon as possible. However my parents will not let me as I am about to start uni and will be there for 6 years so we want to get married secretly now and then marry with family again after 6 years.
I am 19 and she is 18, we are going to wait a while yet.

In that case, just do what Clip said.
Reply 10
18 in England and Wales, 16 in Scotland (hence going to Gretna Green).

It used to be much, much lower, like 12 or something - which was why they had all the fuss in the period dramas about going there.
Basically this might sound a little immature to some people but me and my girlfriend really love each other a lot and we just dream of getting married as soon as possible. However my parents will not let me as I am about to start uni and will be there for 6 years so we want to get married secretly now and then marry with family again after 6 years.

Why not just be in a relationship until then, and then get married once (thus continuing your relationship, by the way), in 6 years. Marrying each other now changes nothing except for creating this silent obligation to remain with each other unless you want to face the mess of divorce.
This might sound patronising, but if you can see that something is immature, and people are advising you that it's immature... even if you tell yourself that it's what you really believe you should do, maybe you should actually understand why people think it's immature. They aren't just against you pointlessly. It will not hurt either of you to wait.

Why not wait? Can't you get engaged instead? Are you going to be living together after?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
It used to be much, much lower, like 12 or something - which was why they had all the fuss in the period dramas about going there.

14 for men and 12 for girls, remember it didn't change until between the wars.

I remember it from Legal History for some reason, suppose it's just an interesting titbit.
Why not wait? Can't you get engaged instead? Are you going to be living together after?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But our parents will not let us get engaged though :frown: Yes we will be.
But our parents will not let us get engaged though :frown: Yes we will be.

a) ask yourself why
b) it's just asking her to marry you, you don't HAVE to buy her a ring or anything

You both sound Muslim, are you?
Reply 17
14 for men and 12 for girls, remember it didn't change until between the wars.

I remember it from Legal History for some reason, suppose it's just an interesting titbit.

I did it in Family Law. I played module roulette and maxed out marriage, divorce and CP, and to this day know nothing about Adoption.
Original post by Clip
I did it in Family Law. I played module roulette and maxed out marriage, divorce and CP, and to this day know nothing about Adoption.

I just remember adoption having its own books in the Family section, whilst you could learn all of financial orders, CA89, CPs, marriage, unmarried family etc. from one book, imagine it's massively technical.
Reply 19
Original post by IdeasForLife
You both sound Muslim, are you?

FFS

1QFA

Mother Mary! Maybe you could be guessing which religion I am.

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending